Skip to content

Ring of Wizardry bug: does it still work?

I just had some sort of illumination, an old, 15yo memory that surged through my mind.
A bug I randomly discovered when playing BG (original, 5+1CD version):
Ring of Wizardry in BG doubles the number of spells you get, and you may get 2 or 3 of these rings in BG, which means you could have 20 level 1 spells.
And if you had them memorized with the rings equipped, upon carrying your PC to BG2, you could still have those 20 spells memorized. You wouldn't be able to change them in the book, but you'd still be able to cast them and to get them back upon resting.
This might not seem that good but it really was quite decent one you had Improved Alacrity (20 magic missile with instant casting deals like 350 damage).

So is that still possible in with EE games?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016
    Not sure about the spells being kept as memorized but I do know that you can't stack rings of wizardry in BGEE.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    In BGEE before the patch you could stack the ring of wizardry with itself; you get one give it to Edwin - and it doubles his first level spells then you get another and it doubles the doubled spells - giving him 20 first level spells - the latest patches remove this I think.

And in BG2EE the ring of wizardry gives you one more spell at levels 4 - 6 or something like that rather than doubling level 1. Not stackable.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    So no more stacking of rings of wizardry... a shame :(

@magisensei I know that ring of wizardry functions differently in BG2 ( one bonus level 4-6 spell), but the bug would involve memorizing the spells in BG, then import your character, and though the rings get wiped when the game starts, the memorized spells would remain. This would work in original BG-BG2, not sure about EE though.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @elminster: In SoD, you can. I just checked my final save, and Neera has two Rings of wizardry, which allow her to memorize a total of 20 first level spells. Is this a bug?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016

@elminster: In SoD, you can. I just checked my final save, and Neera has two Rings of wizardry, which allow her to memorize a total of 20 first level spells. Is this a bug?

When did you create your game?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877

I believe that 2.2 removed this exploit.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited June 2016
    I just sent a save over to my BG2EE of a character wearing a RoW with all her spells memorized - the resulting character had all those spells memorized in BG2 - the thing is though that you could *never* change those spells or they'll be lost forever. I tested and they *do* refresh if you rest, but if you try to alter your level 1 spell list in any way it removes the excess spell forever. So in short, make sure you're really happy with that level one spell list because you can't touch it ever or the extra slots will be lost forever.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Gallenger said:

I just sent a save over to my BG2EE of a character wearing a RoW with all her spells memorized - the resulting character had all those spells memorized in BG2 - the thing is though that you could *never* change those spells or they'll be lost forever. I tested and they *do* refresh if you rest, but if you try to alter your level 1 spell list in any way it removes the excess spell forever. So in short, make sure you're really happy with that level one spell list because you can't touch it ever or the extra slots will be lost forever.

That's exactly how it used to work in when carrying over a character from old BG to old BG2, thank you very much.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @elminster: My SoD version appears to be 2.1, so if @Thrasymachus is correct, my game version explains this.

I haven't updated, because I've already finished the game and I don't think it has replay value at the moment.