Skip to content

Are the "extra attack per round" weapons generally better than ones that don't have it?

superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
So I'm debating which type of weapons to use for my party. Like for Mazzy, I have a Tungian Bow which does 3 attacks per round, but I have other bows that have a higher +THAC0 to them but with no special abilities. I see various weapons that have these "Extra attack per round" and I was wondering if these are generally better than ones that don't have them, but have a higher THAC0 to them with no other special ability.

If I were to take a guess I would imagine if you know you can hit your enemy, you go with the one that attacks more often, if you don't know if you can hit your enemy, you go with the one that has higher THAC0, but I don't know if there are other angles or variables to consider

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Generally "fast" weapons are best.

With one handed melee versions try to put them in the characters offhand as the bonus attack will apply to the mainhand stronger weapon.

With the Tuigan bow use it unless you can see lots of misses coming up. The math involved in figuring out the point at which you shouldn't use it is tricky but generally use it until you find a *much* better bow, like one that you have to craft from multiple pieces.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you're using two weapons, there is practically no weapon better in the OFF hand than a weapon with +APR (there are very few fringe cases that need not concern you if you're not deep into game mechanics; they almost never come up). The reason of course is that the extra APR is always granted to the MAIN hand, even if you wield the +APR in the off (as OH attacks are capped 1).

If you're only using one weapon, then a +APR weapon can be good, but is likely not optimal.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

there are very few fringe cases that need not concern you

That's his motto :tongue:

But yeah, at this stage of the game, Belm and Kundane are generally the best off-hand weapons. They're even good for single-wielding rogues, because doubling your APR is huge.

The ranged weapons with an extra attack are excellent, too. I consider the Tuigan Bow and Army Scythe to be the second best bow and crossbow in the game.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Like so many of these "Which is better?" questions the answer is; "It depends".
    If you're trying to disrupt a spellcaster - go for APR. If you're trying to take large chunks out of a high level, high HP opponent - go for THACO.
    Also, you need to match up weapons with the npcs that can make the best use of them. Try switching the two weapons in and out of the npcs quick slots in their inventory and see how their attack and damage stats vary. At higher levels even the "best" weapon in the game is about as effective as a stick of rhubarb in the hands of someone with no proficiencies in the right weapon or style (dual-wielding for example).
    edited June 2016
    dunbar said:

If you're trying to disrupt a spellcaster - go for APR. If you're trying to take large chunks out of a high level, high HP opponent - go for THACO.

Just to avoid (or add to the?) confusion, when it comes to comparing OH weapons, APR wins over THAC0 every single time; i.e., even a very bad-THAC0 OH that gives +APR will win over an OH with great THAC0 but no APR. If you're only comparing damage (and not extra abilities like immunities, stat boosts, etc.) then an APR OH cannot be beaten by a non-APR OH. Like, literally mathematically cannot.

Note that this only applies to OFF hand scenarios. When it comes to MAIN hand weapons, things look very different. And, as was rightly pointed out, things like proficiency do play a role as well.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    For bows specifically, since the OP mentioned them, the Tuigan Bow is the 2nd best bow in the game, but the best (for most purposes) is the Shortbow of Gesen. This holds true across a wide variety of character builds and situations, and is basically because the Shortbow of Gesen does a lot of damage (10*2 instead of 4.5*3, if you're just looking at base damage and APR). There are rare exceptions, such as when you want to fire off arrows of detonation as fast as possible, but in almost all situations the Shortbow of Gesen is better.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    For fighter types that can grandmaster the extra apr you get from an off-hand is only useful during early part of the game (when you have 3 or less proficiency in a single weapon). If lets say you already have grandmastery (5 points in one weapon) in a melee weapon with already 4 attacks then what you have in the offhand becomes moot as you will not get 6 apr as the apr is capped at 5 without any magical spell boost.

My kensai (pure) with grandmaster in longswords has enough apr that she doesn't need the extra apr when something that offers a magical protection would be more useful if the offhand- things like protection from hold is a nice bonus to have among other magical bonuses that an off-hand weapon can give you.

The weapons that give an extra attack like belm are more useful to those classes that do not get more than one apr - thieves or multi-classes for example would benefit from an extra attack bonus from these weapons.

As for Mazzy she has grandmaster (or even high master 4 points) in short bows giving her at least 3 apr already while Tugian is stuck at 3 apr so you might as well pick a better weapon with a higher Thac0. If you don't have Tansheron then pick it up as it is really the best bow for most of the game.

Given Tugian to another npc that can use short bows (but unable to gain master level) and then have another npc that can fire at a high rate.

• JouniJouni Member Posts: 50
    Attacks per round is generally the most important statistic for raw damage output, but raw damage itself is rarely that relevant in BG2. (The main exceptions are playstyles involving higher difficulty levels and/or mods that increase difficulty.)

With bows, the most important thing is the number of archers you have. If you have just one or two dedicated archers, concentrate on the number of attacks per round. If you have many archers using the same kind of ammunition, it's better to make every arrow count, because you're burning them fast.

The main question in melee is whether the character is primarily a damage dealer (like a real tank) or trying to hold the line (like a MMORPG tank or real infantry). Fragile damage dealers can really benefit from those additional attacks, while infantry should choose weapons by the immunities they grant.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    @Jarrakul - your right my mistake about that apr. But 9/2 (without the magical apr) is amazing, yes it is not 5 - but is that one extra attack better than the benefits that you get from other magical bonuses? Of course that is for another discussion.

Your right about Tuigan - I always thought it was locked at three (learn something new) because I always gave it to a thief (no grandmastery) and if I brought Mazzy along she would always have Tansheron to use. But with grandmastery in bows, Mazzy would do better with a better weapon.
    Jouni said:

Attacks per round is generally the most important statistic for raw damage output, but raw damage itself is rarely that relevant in BG2. (The main exceptions are playstyles involving higher difficulty levels and/or mods that increase difficulty.)

As always, what's "good" or "better than X" is highly subjective. Sometimes you want defensive stats, other times you want more offense. I cannot comment on personal preference (because there'd be no end to the variations), so all I feel I can really talk about are the few things that are objectively quantifiable and comparable, such as damage numbers.

You also bring up an excellent point in that most theory discussions, while academically enlightening and/or entertaining, will not have much of a practical impact for a VAST majority of players - simply because most people don't play on a high enough (modded) difficulty. In its vanilla state the game is, for the most part, not challenging enough to really showcase the finer distinctions. 4 APR or 5 APR often doesn't produce a really noticeable difference when things fall over as soon as you look at them. However, when you're rocking SCS + LoB like some of us do and a dragon has 2,000hp, an extra attack per round over the course of the fight can be a very real and tangible benefit.

If you're not into high-difficulty play, I still encourage interest in game-mechanical discussions - but I would stress that your primary concern should probably be personal enjoyment above all else. Do cool things, be awesome. And don't worry about missing 2% damage potential.
  • JouniJouni Member Posts: 50

As always, what's "good" or "better than X" is highly subjective. Sometimes you want defensive stats, other times you want more offense. I cannot comment on personal preference (because there'd be no end to the variations), so all I feel I can really talk about are the few things that are objectively quantifiable and comparable, such as damage numbers.

If you study a number of subjects from statistics to management, one of the first things you learn is probably a warning against that. If you base decisions on something you can measure and quantify, you get better in what you measure. Eventually you reach the point, where any improvements in what you measure tend to come with worse performance in what you actually want to achieve but cannot directly measure.

Optimization is ultimately about measuring multiple things that cannot be compared objectively, and then comparing them anyway.
    edited June 2016
    @Jouni That's true, if you indeed base your decisions entirely on such values. However, as I mentioned earlier, those values are not in fact the primary focus for most people, and just a tiny drop in the big bucket of the overall decision-making process. It's just an elaboration on one specific area, offering insight into one particular mechanic - what you DO with that information is another thing entirely, and involves MANY more variables. Most of those are not objectively quantifiable, which means it's not all that productive to talk about them comparatively (because they'll be so vastly different between people) but that in no way diminishes their importance for the INDIVIDUAL decision-making process. Just because some values aren't easily comparable between sets doesn't mean they don't carry weight within the specific set.

An example would be "coolness" of swords. Player A may think katanas are much cooler than long swords. Player B might think coolness doesn't really matter. Now, Player A arguing for katanas based on coolness will not help Player B a whole lot - but that doesn't mean in any way that the coolness-factor of a given sword isn't hugely important for Player A when they make decisions for their game. Player A can absolutely weigh things like damage output against things like coolness - FOR THEMSELVES. If Player B tried that, things might not make a whole lot of sense for them at all. On damage, they can at least agree on the value - not on the IMPORTANCE of the value, perhaps, but on the magnitude at least.

In the end, all I'm trying to do is present building blocks. I explain their shape, their color, their size. But I'm not trying to, nor do I want to, build your block fort for you. And if you want to build your fort using potatoes instead of blocks then bloody well do so and make it the best Bhaal-darned potato-block fort there ever was. Still, you should know what's out there, even if you don't end up using it.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Jarrakul said:

For bows specifically, since the OP mentioned them, the Tuigan Bow is the 2nd best bow in the game, but the best (for most purposes) is the Shortbow of Gesen. This holds true across a wide variety of character builds and situations, and is basically because the Shortbow of Gesen does a lot of damage (10*2 instead of 4.5*3, if you're just looking at base damage and APR). There are rare exceptions, such as when you want to fire off arrows of detonation as fast as possible, but in almost all situations the Shortbow of Gesen is better.

I'd gladly trade 6d6 fire damage (one arrow of detonation per round) for 4d8 electrical damage, since the arrow of detonation procs on-hit bonus effects to all hit targets

@Jarrakul - your right my mistake about that apr. But 9/2 (without the magical apr) is amazing, yes it is not 5 - but is that one extra attack better than the benefits that you get from other magical bonuses? Of course that is for another discussion.

I actually do want to briefly address this point. Is the extra attack better than what you'd get from other magical bonuses? In terms of raw damage, the answer is almost always yes. The logic goes as follows: You have three weapons, your best, your second-best, and an APR off-hand. Dual wielding your best weapon with your second-best weapon yields, let's say, 3 attacks with your best weapon and 1 with your second-best. Dual wielding your best weapon with an APR off-hand will then yield 4 attacks with your best weapon and 1 attack with the APR weapon. Thing is, the 4 best weapon attacks are better than 3 best weapon attacks and 1 second-best attack. So the APR off-hand is better. The major exception is Crom Faeyr, which is a fantastically powerful off-hand since it increases all your damage, not just its own damage. Of course, Crom Faeyr is a very strong on-hand, and can itself be paired with an APR weapon for when you want to turn enemies into paste with truly alarming rapidity.

But of course, as you imply, other weapons have other non-offensive properties, and some of those are quite strong indeed (*coughdefenderofeasthavencough*).
    Jarrakul said:

The major exception is Crom Faeyr, which is a fantastically powerful off-hand since it increases all your damage, not just its own damage. Of course, Crom Faeyr is a very strong on-hand, and can itself be paired with an APR weapon for when you want to turn enemies into paste with truly alarming rapidity.

Glad this was brought up at last, as it's one of the most common arguments for APR-OH alternatives - and as you rightly said, it's actually not, since it's even BETTER in the MH together with an APR OH. The only time you could consider it as an OH is on characters that can't use APR OHs (because they're swords, say) in which case it's not an alternative because it's not a choice.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    One thing to consider is, most extra attack melee weapons are +2 enchanted, making them useless against some enemies that require +3. Still, on the off-hand, they give +1 bonus attack to your main hand which can help alleviate the problem. Improved haste is a must, it also doubles up the bonus attack, you can end up going with 8-9 attacks/round, making hla whirlwind pointless:stack critical strikes or power attacks with this set up for more bang for your buck.

Tugian bow is ofcourse, an excellent weapon for archers, as with more attacks they can pump more bonus damage from their kit in a given round. But Gessen can be better for electrical damage disruption and it hits as +4. Gessen is an end-game special weapon. If the foe is stoneskinned and requires +4 (Final boss of ToB?) Gessen is better, Tugian won't do anything. If not, go Tugian and spread the pain.
    lunar said:

One thing to consider is, most extra attack melee weapons are +2 enchanted, making them useless against some enemies that require +3. Still, on the off-hand, they give +1 bonus attack to your main hand which can help alleviate the problem.

Should note here that the enchantment level is actually not even relevant for APR OHs. They still beat any other OH in damage even if the enemy is completely immune.
    lunar said:

Tugian bow is ofcourse, an excellent weapon for archers, as with more attacks they can pump more bonus damage from their kit in a given round. But Gessen can be better for electrical damage disruption and it hits as +4. Gessen is an end-game special weapon. If the foe is stoneskinned and requires +4 (Final boss of ToB?) Gessen is better, Tugian won't do anything. If not, go Tugian and spread the pain.

Gesen is actually almost always better, unless your enemy is lightning-resistant. I've actually mathed this out. The extra damage from the Shortbow of Gesen is so high, it overcomes the APR difference in almost every case I've looked at, from simple rogues to high-level archers (high-level swashbucklers are the only exception I've found). Remember, after all, that you can load the Shortbow of Gesen with normal arrows for an additional 1d6 damage on top of its entire normal damage. Anything the Tuigan Bow can hurt, Gesen is hitting for 1d6+2 +1d8 electrical. And that's just kind of a lot.

Now, that's obviously ignoring on-hit effects like Called Shot and certain powerful special ammo (arrows of detonation have been mentioned a couple times), for which more attacks are king. But overall, Gesen reigns, even against enemies Tuigan can hurt.
    edited June 2016
    Should also add that high-level Rangers will have plenty of GWW at their disposal as well, which makes +APR bows/xbows moot for a good portion of many fights.

Mathing things out is always a good idea.

Edit: Obviously GWW can be a thing for melee, too. You'll want to unequip your OH for the duration, maybe even wield a 2h while it's up.