Skip to content

My multiplayer issues (connection + pause glitch) fixed

MyrdiNNMyrdiNN Member Posts: 11
edited April 2016 in Multiplayer
Hey there guys,

Just wanted to share my experience setting up a BG:EE game last night after applying the latest patch.

Problem 1: Can't connect to game session
My buddy is on Steam, I'm on the GoG version and we basically couldn't connect to each other. After a hour of finnicking, we tried using the program 'logmein Hamachi' which can emulate a LAN network between two computers on the internet (there's a few other programs like Tunngle out there which do the same thing). When using hamachi, you can 'ping' each other directly, which didn't work (it would time out). After my buddy disabled his Windows and Kaspersky firewall however, I could 'ping' him and thus he could host the game (note that he still couldn't ping me)! He basically checked 'Local Area Network' game when he created his BG session, and I had to enter his (hamachi) IP address which you can easily copy (right mouse click on the name of your body -> copy Ip4 address) from Hamachi.

NOTE: maybe just disabling his firewall might have fixed this, we didn't test that.

Problem 2: Game bugs out at seemingly random times when the pause key is pressed
This was a strange one. We played for a few hours until I started to get a bug whenever my buddy pressed pause. The screen would get a greyish tint (just like whenever someone casts Timestop) and I wouldn't be able to unpause anymore. My buddy however, could unpause but it wouldn't have any effect on my screen. I believe this is a bug that has been around for a while. Thing is, this only occurs when my buddy's Charname (main character) had just died. Whenever that happened, I had to exit my BG client all the way and log back in (which takes about 10 seconds, not a big deal).
Reading a few threads on this forum made me realize this probably has to do with the 'death movie' which plays whenever Charname dies. Haven't been able to test if removing the movie file fixes the problem.

Anyhow, hope this helps some people!

Comments

• FlayerivFlayeriv Member Posts: 23
    Hey there!

We had the same pause issue, exactly as described. We're going to try deactivating the movies to see if that helps, but thanks for isolating that as a possibility!
    Tried removing the movie file on both computers, still had the issue of after the main character died pause bug occurred. We did not it happened immediately after so it does look like a cause and effect deal from character death. Will experiment if this only affects player character death or if NPC death affects it as well.
  • MyrdiNNMyrdiNN Member Posts: 11
    I haven't played at all this week (hope I get my MP buddy back today!) so I might be testing some things out myself (might depend on our amount of deaths though). If I recall correctly it only happened when the main character died, not a 100% sure either about that too.

I will report back if I find out something.
    So we ran the tests, it only seems to affect the bhaalspawn character. Anyone else can die, but not the bhaalspawn. Removing the movie changed nothing, so it must be something in the death.
    Does anyone know if these issues have been resolved yet?