Skip to content

Two script/spell questions

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
1) How to get a spell to run a script rather than fire one or several of the pre-defined effects from the list? There is a lot there, but I want the spell to do something completely different, so I need it to run a script on casting. I also need the spell to be non-combat only. And what about the Teleport effect from that list, does it only move creatures about in the area or can it move them to another area? How do I do that?

2) Same thing, actually, but for dialogues. What script command do I need to whisk everyone away to a spot in another area?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    It depends on what you want your spell to do. If you provide some specifics I could tell you what the best course of action to implement it would be.

Making a spell non-combat only is pretty easy. Just check Flag 16 (non-combat only) in NI.

You can do this in WeiDu by including

COPY ~yourspell.spl~ ~override~ WRITE_BYTE 0x1a 1

in your installation file, which does the same thing as setting the flag in NI.

You can move creatures easily within a single area by using Action 23 (MoveToPoint) and you can move creatures to a specific point in a different area via Action 225 (MoveBetweenAreas).

In general, I would recommend you look through the IESDP as it provides a lot of documentation about most features of the game. It doesn't include most of the new stuff, however, but references for those also exist if you need them.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Will look there, yes. Action 225, you say? How do I get the coordinates from inside Near Infinity? I can get them inside the game by tapping S, I think, but in the editor?

The spell, or rather the script needs to do several things. It's going to get complicated, but for now I just want it to teleport the party to a point in another area and memorize the point of origin. And the spell must not be castable in that area - I don't want a loop.

What I'm making, I'll let you in on it, is Leomund's Secret Shelter. It's a level 4 spell. They made something like this in Throne of Bhaal, the Pocket Plane, but it was crap. I want to make something cozy and fun. I'm thinking of making a level 3 version of my own when I'm done with this one - Leomund's Vile Hostel, :lol: And then some higher-level ones, ending with the Magnificent Mansion. But for now just the Shelter. I'm going to put special encounters there, so that will go in the spell script as well, or maybe into the script that runs when I enter the area. What's that one called, by the way, and where do I put it?

I'm starting small here. For now just the spell to move the party there, and I hope someone will explain how doors work so the characters can click on that place's door inside and be transported to where they came from. I took a copy of another area for the Shelter and edited the Candlekeep Inn's front door (the golden icon and the trigger) to point to there but I can't seem to get them to work. When I try to enter that door, all I get is that the world except the interface goes mute. Do I need some kind of arrival point there?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I would take a look at how the Pocket Plane's exit is coded if I were you. Then you can just adapt what they've done.