Skip to content

Ranger tracking

Out of curiosity, how does ranger tracking work in BG2? I've never played the game with that class. But the mechanic for it is in the tools. What does it do or look like?

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    It's a HLA and is fairly useless... I think it gives arrows around your field of view indicating the direction of enemies.

The version in NWN (where you get a text box describing tracks or other traces) is similarly useless, but much more characterful at least!
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    NWN doesn't really have a tracking skill, rather there are pre-existing tracks that I believe use a Spot check to reveal, and Spot is actually fairly useful from what I can remember.

NWN2 did have tracking as the Survival skill but rangers got tracking bonuses from their class and it was more useful since they got permanent tracking that revealed enemies on the minimap.
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    Moved the discussion to the proper section.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I said NWN... I actually meant Icewind Dale...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I've suggested a different implementation of tracking, through area editing - for those who can do it. Where tracks are chains of triggers placed on maps only rangers can set off, and then not automatically. When they set one off, an FX goes off on the spot, then ranger knows he found a footprint, but not yet where the track will lead. He has to scout around, see if he can set off more triggers nearby, then figure out in which direction the chain goes. When he arrives at the last trigger, some nice beastie like a cave bear, a basilisk, or in the sewers a wight will spawn.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    tracking would have been quite a useful ability if it worked something like farsight/wizard eye, but I've never taken it myself so I have no idea how bad it is, although I hear it's terrible
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Well at the very least it is somewhat useful in icewind dale 2 XD makes a certain area much less annoying to deal with if you are not using a guide.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    pretty sure it aIso teIIs you what kinds of enemies are around by describing footprints in icewind daIe 2 as weII as heIping you navigate what is basicaIIy the Iost woods of the game. Granted in that game it is not a highIeveI abiIity and instead is either a feat or a skiII I forget which so even if it doesn't have too much use it doesn't feel like you got ripped off.