Skip to content

Shaman Questions

Hey guys, I'm just coming back to BG after a lonnggg time and want to try out Shamans. Hoping more experienced people will help me out with a few things.

-What experience table do Shaman's use? Want to see how high of level I can expect in each game.

-How many spells per level do shaman's receive? I assume this is similar to sorcs?

-Do shaman's need int, wis, or charisma at all, or could I just pump combat stats.

Thanks for the help

-Mocker

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    Welcome to the forums! The Shaman tables are in the Adventurer's Guide from here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49871/get-your-siege-of-dragonspear-manuals-here/p1

At this point shamans don't benefit from higher Int, Wis, or Cha. It seems like it might fit more but not for now.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I've looked in the Adventurer's Guide, but I don't see anything in the Shaman section about their EXP tables. Quite possible I was just missing it.

Anyhoo, to answer your question, OP, Shaman use the Mages/Sorcerer EXP table, or at least that's what it seems like. Shaman also gain one spell per level, except for the first, naturally. There are some "free" spells dusted here and there on their list.

Shaman, like Sorcerer, gain no benefit from their mental stats, save for a Lore bonus. Because they don't really use spell slots, they don't get the same benefit from Wisdom that Clerics and Druids do. So yeah, load up your physical stats and enjoy. Though like all non-Warrior classes, they only gain a benefit from 16 con. Because of their relatively low stat requirement, you could easily make your shaman your "face" character and give them a lot of Charisma.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

I've looked in the Adventurer's Guide, but I don't see anything in the Shaman section about their EXP tables. Quite possible I was just missing it.

Anyhoo, to answer your question, OP, Shaman use the Mages/Sorcerer EXP table, or at least that's what it seems like. Shaman also gain one spell per level, except for the first, naturally. There are some "free" spells dusted here and there on their list.

Shaman, like Sorcerer, gain no benefit from their mental stats, save for a Lore bonus. Because they don't really use spell slots, they don't get the same benefit from Wisdom that Clerics and Druids do. So yeah, load up your physical stats and enjoy. Though like all non-Warrior classes, they only gain a benefit from 16 con. Because of their relatively low stat requirement, you could easily make your shaman your "face" character and give them a lot of Charisma.

They are close to the end, there is a combined chart with XP, THAC0, saves, spells. Hey, I missed it before but shamans get Detect Illusion for a bonus, 4% per level up to 100% at 20th level. That is nice.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Of course, silly me, expecting them to be with the class description. or the discussion on EXP...

Agreed, the Detect Illusion is nice, and if it's on your main character, that means you never have to put it on another character.

Shaman also have a bit nicer of a weapon choice available to them when compared to Druids. There is a particularly powerful Shortbow at the end of the game, for instance, that lets you hang back when you're not dancing or casting. Though I'll admit to being fond of Two-Handed Style and Spears, for some silly reason on my Shaman. Maybe it's because no one else really uses spears...
    mf2112ThacoBell