Skip to content

Adding sounds to the game

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
So, I imported the repup.wav file over to IWD but for the life of me I cant figure out how to make it so everytime your reputation goes up it will play that sound

im using near infinity and it seems that when it comes to using triggers and such, you have to type it all in by code which I wouldn't doing if I knew what code to type in

I tried looking at the bg1 files to see if I could find the trigger/script that makes it so when you gain REP it plays the sound, but I couldn't find it

so if someone could give me help on how to play sounds that would be great :)

Comments

• chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I'm not an expert on anything here, I only know what I've tried or others told me. But I'm pretty sure you would have to alter each dialogue and script in IWD where reputation increases or decreases and tell it to play that sound. It won't happen automatically. Not even in BGEE. For example, if you go to a temple and donate to raise your reputation, it goes up but there is no sound.

The basic command in a script is PlaySound(""), and you just write the name of the sound file between the quotes. But, like I said, you'd have to fix all those instances by hand. Others here will tell you where to look for a primer on scripting, it's not that spooky. And you may be able to specify the sound to play from within Near Infinity - though DLTCEP would probably be more convenient. So get that tool, open a dialogue file there and see if there is a button to make a sound play.

There is also something you may be able to set for creatures. This is just a guess, but if you make a creature with Near Infinity and then on the Edit tab choose INNOCENT as the class, then - and I repeat it's a guess but nothing else seems to control it - then if you kill it, the reputation loss and the sound may be automatic. Try it. Copy some mean monster from the list, make it INNOCENT, summon it with LUA in the game and kill it.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah okay, yeah I don't mind making it so when your rep goes up ( like saving someone for example) that you have to manually go into their dialog script to make it play, I only have 2 instances in my IWD game where I make it that you gain a rep point, so that wouldn't be that hard to do, im going to try the PlaySound("xxxx") script idea and see if that works
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so I just tried your idea chimeric of using the PlaySound line, and it worked like a charm, thanks a bunch