Skip to content

50th Discussion Special: The Story of Zaram Maldovar

For my 50th discussion and I thought you could give your opinion and some advice on the developing story (for a friend's campaign) of my BG character.

I must ask people to please not spoil anything from Siege of Dragonspear, as I am still playing it.
Zaram Maldovar: CN Human Dragon Disciple

Summary:

Zaram traveled with many friends and vanquished many foes during the events of the Baldur's Gate games, but his journey was far from over after that. Zaram eventually got married to Neera, but the two far from settled down as Zaram's party continued to adventure across Faerun.

Zaram faced several conflicts including (not necessarily in this order, as I have not decided yet)
1. Four major conflicts with the Red Wizards
2. A conflict with the Cowled Wizards
3. Encounters with multiple dimensions (including characters from universes other than D&D)
4. A cult trying that nearly succeeded in resurrecting Bhaal
5. Some sort of crisis involving the Ten Orbs of Dragon Control (I looked these up, they are actual artifacts that allow the wielder to control dragons)
6. Saving the God of Chaos of another universe from Cyric and his chosen

He accomplished much in his day, but eventually about 22 years after the events of Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, his party fought at his home of Maldovar Keep against the Red Wizards, who trapped Zaram within his own staff. Zaram's remaining allies tracked down the Red Wizards and managed to defeat them, but the staff was lost.

The Staff Of Maldovar was lost to all but the memory of few as it was passed from various master to various master, and eventually through force of will, Zaram's consciousness became sentient within the staff. 301 years after being imprisoned, the Staff is found by a group of adventurers who are successful in freeing him.

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2016
    The Staff of Maldovar (As owned by Zaram)
    I'm not at all experienced with making weapons so somebody please help me create a more accurate version of this.

This is Zaram's Staff, originally bestowed upon him by Tethtoril of Candlekeep as per Gorion's request; over the years, Zaram would imbue the staff with enchantments, though none as powerful as those given to him by Jonar, The God of Random. With his help, Zaram is capable of channeling the infinite multiverse of chaos energy through his staff, with effects that are always unexpected.

1D6+5, +5 random elemental damage
    Thac0: +5
    Usable by: Zaram

Abilities
    1. Fireball of Maldovar (Once Per Day):
    Stats Pending
    2. Resurrection
    (Once Per Day)
    3. Chaos Surge (Twice Per Day):
    Upon casting, Chaos Surge, one of 10 things will happen:
    Stats Pending
    4. Advanced Chaos Surge (Once every other day)
    A powerful surge of Chaos magic is released, causing literally anything to happen.

Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    The Staff of Maldovar (As Owned by Anyone else)

This staff contains the powerful Bhaalspawn sorcerer Zaram Maldovar, although the full power of the staff can only be used by Zaram himself, this staff is still a truly formidable weapon, though it's true purpose was to trap the sorcerer to prevent his interference with the plans of the Red Wizards of Thay. Zaram is aware of all that goes on around him, and though he cannot do anything, that does not prevent him from VOICING his opinions and thoughts on a constant basis.

1D6+4, +4 random elemental damage

Abilities:
    Grants the wielder +1 to Intelligence and -1 to Wisdom and Charisma
    Resurrection (Once Per Day)
    1% chance that the staff will do nothing as Zaram decides he doesn't feel like it.

Usable by:
    Mage
    Sorcerer
    Fighter/Mage
    Mage/Thief
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2016
    I like the randomness and chaos a lot. It is the spice of the life. Thumbs up. However I don't really think resurrection power makes sense for the staff. Something more chaotic and random may be appropriate, like an improved chaos spell or a totally random lvl 5-8 spell or something.

Also, if you are playing bg1 or 2, you may love Wild mage additions mod (the glyph of wild magic spell in there is right up your alley) and wild sorcerer (so you can be a sorc and use wild magic!) mod. I love those two to bits. I just started playing the Card kit from the Card mod, it is no trained spell caster (actually a thief kit with only a few token thief skills) but has a deck that allows the user to cast random spells, either defensive or offensive in nature. So much fun! Though the mod has no hlas, so I added a few rogue hlas myself via editting some files. No op traps, though.
    edited July 2016
    @lunar
    Thank you, but I don't I could handle absolute chaos in a playthrough of BG2, I'm just making this for an actual D&D Campaign. Though I will start with a different character, and introduce him at Epic Level since that's what he is by the end of TOB.

Also my character isn't actually a Wild Mage, he's a Dragon Disciple, the wild magic was given to him by Jonar, The God of Random (Cyric's counterpart from a universe of my creation) after saving him.

The custom Fireball and Ressurection were added before that.

Any ideas for stats on those?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Oh ok, I misunderstood a bit. Well it makes sense in your game's context then.

As for additional staff powers, doing extra damage to lawful targets, knocking them back-maybe with a save to avoid uncounciousness like staff of ram, or even confusion but only to lawful targets. I would love that. I think would be more appropriate than resurrection. Or let it release a chaotic word once per day:holy word to lawfuls with effects depending on lvl difference between you and the victims. Literally death to low level paladins but still cool power. Etc.
    @lunar
    It's not a bad idea, soon I'll be moving this thread (not moving as I have so idea how to delete a thread, but I mean creating a new one) to a thread on the production stage of a possible mod. I have absolutely no knowledge in coding, but I want to write something for the future when it may be possible. The writing itself may take months or even years, but I feel it is worth it. When I have a solid point of which to start with my writing, I will post a new thread. Thank you for your input, and I'd appreciate more input in the future.