Skip to content

Check out my 5e custom race, the Wildkin.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
So being the furry that I am I wanted to include beast races in my homebrew setting. Came up with the concept of the Wildkin as one of my fey races along with Elves and Gnomes. They are innately magical and look like anthropomorphic versions of their respective animal type.

Wildkin
Ability Score Increase: +2 Dex
Speed: 40 ft
Darkvision: 60 ft
Keen Senses: Proficiency with the Perception Skill.
Claws: All Wildkin can deal 1d4 slashing damage using their claws. Treat as a light finesse weapon.
Wild Speech: Speak with animals of its type.

Subraces. SLAs at 1, 3 ,5. 1/Long Rest.

Kitsune (Fox) - +1 Cha, Dancing Lights, Disguise Self, Invisibility. Charisma based.

Wolven (Wolf) - +1 Wis, Guidance, Sanctuary, Speak with dead. Wisdom based.

Aviel (Bird) - +1 int, Mage Hand, Identify, Detect Thoughts. Intelligence based.

Lazeran (Lizard) - +1 Con, Poison Spray, False Life, Protection from Poison. Wisdom based.

Katahn (Cat) - +1 Dex, Resistance, Feather Fall, Enhance Ability (Should I limit it to Cat's Grace?). Charisma based.

Ursan (Bear) - +1 Str Mold Earth, Heroism, Barkskin. Wisdom Based.

Is the race too strong? I think the flavor is certainly in the right place but unsure about the rest. I want to think of a disadvantage for the race like the Drow's light sensitivity to put it on the same power budget.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Might possibly add

Fear of the Unnatural: Disadvantage against spells of the Necromancy and Evocation schools.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The spell abilities are a little too formulaic; I don't know that they're overpowered (they're pretty close to the Dark Elf subrace), but I'm looking at the Lazeran for instance and thinking it might make more sense to give them poison resistance and the Poison Spray cantrip.

I'd say having one or two of them use spell abilities is probably fine, but more than that and they start to lose their distinctiveness.
    Vallmyr
    Was basing it off the Drow where they get a cantrip at 1, 1st level spell at 3, and 2nd at 5.

It probably would be better and to go through and give each subrace a unique set though. Thanks for the input~
    Vallmyr said:

Was basing it off the Drow where they get a cantrip at 1, 1st level spell at 3, and 2nd at 5.

It probably would be better and to go through and give each subrace a unique set though. Thanks for the input~

It's a good model, I think I would just limit it to one of them. Think about what each subrace is supposed to represent; that should give you enough to go on when figuring out what to give them. There are very few things in 5e that are really "overpowered".
    Vallmyr
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm not super familiar with 5th Ed so I don't want to comment with any authority on op-ness, but they don't look distinctively overpowered to me. I was going to suggest limiting the spell abilities to two, but on second thought I felt I didn't feel confident in how they actually compare to other "magically inclined" races like stow or svirfneblin.

I did wonder, however, how come the wolf got "Speak With Dead"?
    I'm editing the races now so that Kitsune will keep the Drow 1,3,5 spell abilities and the others will have more unique stuff.

One thing I will keep though is the Wolven's speak with dead. The reason is that I was thinking for inspirations and I remember in Wizardry 8 the Rawulf race had a high piety if I recall. This made me think of a society of cleric-based wolf people. From there I went in to think about an idea of ancestral worship and thought that this would come about from literally being able to speak to their ancestors with speak with dead.

This will also cause the Wolven to be more familiar with necromantic effects and possibly not receive disadvantage against it since they themselves practice such powers.

I'll probably commission some art of each race and their "stereotypical" class.
    edited July 2016
    Wildkin
    Speed: 30 ft
    Claws: All Wildkin can deal 1d4 slashing damage using their claws. Treat as a light finesse weapon.
    Fear of the Unnatural: Disadvantage on Saving Throws Versus Evocation and Necromancy spells.

Subraces.

Kitsune (Fox) - +1 Cha, Proficiency with the Deception skill. Dancing Lights at lvl 1, Disguise Self at lvl 3, Invisibility at level 5. 1/day each, Charisma based.

Wolven (Wolf) - +1 Wis, 40 ft movement, no Disadvantage on saves vs Necromancy spells, Speak with Dead 1/day. Wisdom based.

Aviel (Bird) - +1 int, Aviel can fly at half their movement speed.

Lazeran (Lizard) - +1 Con, Poison Resistance, Poison Spray Cantrip, Wisdom based.

Katahn (Cat) - +1 Dex, Advantage on Dexterity saving throws, proficiency with stealth and acrobatics.

Ursan (Bear) - +1 Str Advantage on saving throws versus fear effects, cold resistance.

Was looking at the 5e races and saw there is another race that has flying at 50 ft but land movement at 25 (Aarakocra). Decided since my Aviel can move fast on land they have to move slowly when flying.

I also decided to make everyone's movement speed 30 with exception of the Wolven moving at 40ft.

I'll probably tinker with this more but here's the next iteration.

Some background lore for each. Going to try to keep it short.

Kitsune live alongside the forest gnomes of my setting and both have natural affinity towards deception and illusion.

Wolven are an ancestral people that favor necromancers and death domain clerics. They believe that walking with the dead is an honor and to have your body become a warrior after death means you can serve your people forever. Very Lawful society with Necromancy flavors.

Aviel are carefree scholars that live in the mountains. Spend lots of time studying and keep vast libraries.

Lazeran live in a poisoned swamp and have adapted to resist and use the poison. They are very militant and group minded.

Katahn live near Elven settlements but have become discreet as tension between the Elves and Humans rises.

Ursan live in the northlands with the Orcs and Dwarves. Sort of generic proud-barbarian people until I give them more depth.
    Disadvantage against Evocation/Necromancy spells is a huge penalty; bear in mind that this includes Fireball, Cone of Cold, and other damage-dealing spells that are iconic to spellcasters.

I would narrow the scope of that penalty significantly, to maybe only confer disadvantage on spells (specifying "spells" is important) that cause the Frightened condition.

Here are my thoughts about the subraces:

Kitsune
    This looks good. It matches the Drow subrace pretty closely, which is a good sign for it being balanced.

Wolven
    I'd call their "no disadvantage" trait Fearless, and target it toward the same effects that most wildkin have disadvantage on: spells that cause the Frightened condition. But that overlaps with the Ursan subrace, so you might need to come up with something else. Maybe just advantage against "spells that cause instant death without dealing damage", a bit like the Death Ward spell.

I'd also reduce the speed to 35, which would match the Wood Elf subrace.

Speak With Dead sounds good to me.

Aviel
    Flying speed is a huge boon. Aarakocra are unusually powerful as a starting race because of their flying speed. The 15-ft speed is a good offset, but I don't know that it makes a whole lot of sense in-world. (You also have an "Intelligence-based" note there, which you don't need anymore.)

I think if you want them to fly, make them fly well, and keep their flying speed the same as their land speed. But if you do that, I'd get rid of their Int bonus as an additional offset. (Yes, flying really is that powerful.)

Lazeran
    Looks good to me.

Katahn
    Advantage on all Dex-based saving throws is waaaay too powerful. Focus more on what you want the trait to represent. Is it the ability to escape a scuffle? If so, give them advantage on checks to avoid being restrained. Is it the ability to land on their feet? Give them advantage on checks and saves to avoid damage from falling.

Ursan
    This one looks kind of weak, to be honest. Its bonuses are all passive; if they never see a cold or fear spell, their abilities are useless. I would consider giving them +1 HP per level, like the Hill Dwarf subrace. That might be too much with their other bonuses, though.
    Vallmyr
    @Dee , thanks for all the help on this. This is my first attempt at homebrew so I've been posting this to different places asking for guidance/help. I really super appreciate your help with this! I'll go back and see what I can do.
    edited July 2016
    Wildkin
    Speed: 30 ft
    Fear of the Unnatural: Disadvantage versus spells that give the frightened condition.

Subraces.

Kitsune (Fox)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
    Nature's Trickster: You know the Dancing Lights cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Disguise Self spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Invisibility spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
    Fox's Deceit: You gain proficiency in the Deception Skill.

Wolven (Wolf)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
    Deathless: Advantage on Death Saving Throws and Spells that cause instant death without dealing damage.
    Quick: 35 ft movement speed.
    Ancestral Guidance: You can cast the Speak With Dead spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Aviel (Bird)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
    Scholar's Flight: You can fly at half your movement speed.
    Scholar's Fatigue: You can only fly when wearing light or no armor.

Lazeran (Lizard)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
    Poison Skin: You have resistance to poison damage.
    Swamp's Wrath: You can cast the Poison Spray Cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this spell.

Katahn (Cat)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
    Quick Escape: You can use the Disengage ability as a bonus action.
    Cat's Grace: You gain Proficiency with Acrobatics and Stealth

Ursan (Bear)
    Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
    Bear's Resolve: +1 HP per level
    Fearless: You have advantage versus spells that give the frightened condition.
    Intimidating Roar: You have advantage on Intimidation checks.

I'm thinking for the Aviel their main form of locomotion is walking but that they can use flight in a pinch or to gain advantage. I imagine them as sort of frail and such which is why I want them to have the half-flight speed.

Edit: Derp I put Dex on the Kitsune by accident.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    Crap just realized that small and medium creatures have same carrying weights. Should I halve their carrying capacity? I basically want frail birdmen wizards.
    How about this as an alternative: They can only fly while wearing no armor or Light armor.
    Vallmyr
    Dee said:

How about this as an alternative: They can only fly while wearing no armor or Light armor.

Edited it and added that. Thanks n_n