Skip to content

[Request] More Auto-Pause Options

BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
edited June 2013 in Feature Requests
I would to request that the following options be added to the list of auto-pause options.

- Pause on Item Use (ie potion, scroll & ectra)
- Pause on Weapon Ineffective
- Pause on Character Status Change (ie poisoned, drained)
- Pause on Skill Used (ie disable trap, pick lock/pocket, steath... but not turn undead or bard song)

I really like to micro manage my characters with the AI off, and the autopause on spell cast is currently a great aid for doing this but for me to play a turn based style without having to keep hand constantly on the spacebar for all other instances that i would like to pause i would require these addition options.

Pause on End of Round currently helps with item use but unfortunately it also pauses almost every single time someone takes a stab at a monster, which is makes it very annoying to use for any character using a weapon.
NeonfiskAlonsodjcGrammarsalad

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Benjamin said:

I really like to micro manage my characters with the AI off, and the autopause on spell cast is currently a great aid for doing this but for me to play a turn based style without having to keep hand constantly on the spacebar for all other instances that i would like to pause i would require these addition options.

Pause on End of Round currently helps with item use but unfortunately it also pauses almost every single time someone takes a stab at a monster, which is makes it very annoying to use for any character using a weapon.

I also like to micro manage battles with the AI off, because I don't trust that the AI can adjust to all unusual events that can occur. Also, the auto pause on spell cast I find very useful. I feel that in the game, when any character notices the lights being generated from the mage or clerics' hands, its a good time to pay attention to what is about to occur.

I play with auto-pause on character death, character injured, weapon unusable, spell cast, target destroyed, enemy sighted, find traps. I feel this provides the party leader with the heads up of what's going on, and is a condition clearly known to a party member.

Yet, at the same time, I think the player's adrenaline should also be kept high (it's an exciting feeling that goes well with the game) and he still should have to concentrate on the description of what's happening to keep his bacon in the game. So I don't think for overall game purposes the number of auto-pauses should not be expanded much beyond the essential ones I described above (even though the additions might seem helpful). The one I might agree with, though, is the poison or drained auto-pause, because I can visualize the character calling out in pain and attracting attention.

Maybe a mod could be created to give you the additional auto pauses that you'd like.

• BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    I play with the same autopause options.

My issue is that at the start of a battle if i tell someone to drink a potion that afterwards they'll just sit around waiting for the next command, but i wont notice because everyones scattered or im just enjoying a spell visual instead.

Unless of course i have AI switched on, but then if i have AI switched they just immediately attack closest enemy rather than ask me what i would like them to do. Where as i might want to buff them again or have them run away or cast a spell, but unless im concentraiting on that individual they'll never really do what i wanted them to.

I just want them to give me a heads up of "hey im doing nothing here" what would you like me to do now.
  • UnferthUnferth Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2013
    Maybe every auto-pause option should have an alternative setting, some other form of notification that wouldn't require pausing. Perhaps a character's portrait could flash when an action is completed, or show an "idle" status icon.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    I'd like more auto-pause triggers, even the ability to select different ones for different party members would be nice. At least these should be made possible to add by modding, if it isn't possible already.
    Alonso
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    I really miss these features as well. Any chance of this being added to the game?
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2016
    Alonso said:

I really miss these features as well. Any chance of this being added to the game?

You can not only report bugs here
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/bg-ee-bugs
    but request features too.

Is there an option to auto-pause when a character´s spellcasting is disrupted (e.g. when suffering damage from an attack) and the spell is lost? Currently the game runs on and I have to manually pause and give the character a new order as I have the group AI disabled.
    Alonso
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806

Alonso said:

Is there an option to auto-pause when a character´s spellcasting is disrupted (e.g. when suffering damage from an attack) and the spell is lost?

No, but it would be nice.

I was going to write a feature request, but I thought I'd check first what you guys think. From the options mentioned in this thread I'm interested in these:

- Pause on Item Used (ie potion, scroll & ectra).
    - Pause on Weapon Ineffective.
    - Pause on Character Status Change (ie poisoned, drained).
    - Pause on Skill Used (ie disable trap, pick lock/pocket, stealth... but not turn undead or bard song).
    - Pause on disrupted spellcasting.

Independent auto pause features for each character sounds great, but I think it's too much for the main game, it sounds more like a mod feature. Regarding the alternative notifications, I'd say that's out of the scope of this request, it belongs in a different request.
    Benjamin