Skip to content

Moving from BG to BG2

So, I've been playing though BG for about two years now, and *finally* have managed to bring a party all to the end (restartitis having laid all prior parties to rest..). CHARNAME is a human fighter that I intend to dual into druid sometime in BG2 (I had a lucky roll of 96 when I made him).

Now the question is: how do I best carry him into BG2?
I know that some items can be carried over, but does this require that CHARNAME actually wears these items when the final save happens, or is it okay that one of the team members carries it? I'm willing to do the final battle again if necessary.

The next question is of a more technical nature:

I have been playing BG on Android, but for BG2, I want to try out Legacy of Bhaal, as I found the regular difficulty in BG too easy. This means I have to migrate to my windows computer. But how exactly do move my saved game from BG on Android to BG2 on Windows?

I tried this:
I found the ExportSave.bg1save file on my phone and mailed it to myself. On Windows I placed it in this folder:

C:\Users\Jon\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save
and opened BG2 and clicked 'Import Game'. No dice. I could see my saved BG1 games on Windows, but not my druid-wannabe Fighter.

Then I tried renaming ExportSave.bg1save to ExportSave.zip, extracting it, and copying the two files inside into an existing BG2 save. Opening the modified saved game, BG2 crashed..

So, it seems i haven't got this quite right. How do I do it..?

Comments

• LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Having scaled down my ambitions, I would now be happy if I could just import my saved game into BG2 on my phone. BG2 on my phone has more or less the same version as BG1 on my phone (1.3) so there should be a greater likelihood of success.

But.. how does one do it..? I copied the famed 'ExportSave.bg1save' file to android/data/com.beamdogIIenchantededition/files/save, started BG2, chose 'New Game', 'Create' and 'Import'. From there I have two options for importing: 'Character file' or 'Saved game' - none of which reveals my dear Elre Lana...

How do I do this??
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited August 2016
    Rather than importing the save-game itself - just export the character file.

Load up your BG1 end-game save, get to your character sheet, and hit "export" name it something fancy if ya' like. Then load up BG2 if you've not played it yet, and pregenerate a character and export them - that should create all of the proper directories in your BG2 documents folder - and also provide an easy to use search term if you're not sure where to look. Then just mail your character from your phone to your other machine/device and plop them in the character folder in BG2/documents - then when you go to character creation for BG2 just select "import character" and plop in your dude. I prefer this method of exporting things because it keeps my save folder from getting overrun with BG1 endgame saves that occasionally overwrite each other. This should work for virtually any version of BG across any platform as far as I'm aware barring a few exceptions.

There are a small handful of items you can carry over, but I wouldn't sweat it because nothing you could have other than the few items you get by default (if you make a new character in BG2 for example - you get 2 items from BG1 - which are basically the best available). UNLESS you really really like the claw of Kazgoroth. If you have the golden pantaloons you'll want to have them in your PC's inventory when you export the character - but other than that your game experience won't be impacted in any meaningful way.
    Okay, so now I tried this:

I defeated Sarevok again and *right* after he fell, I went to the inventory screen and exported my character.
    Through a file manager I copied the folder named 'characters' to the corresponding location in the BG2 directory. I checked that it contained my saved character files (Elre.bio, Elre.chr, Elre.bg1character).
    Opening BG2, I chose 'New game', 'Create', 'Import character file' and found ... nothing...

This is the exact location of the 'characters' directory that I copied:

/android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition/files/characters

It's all on my phone. No cross device shenanigans..
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Export a character in BG2 and see if it creates something somewhere else lol.
    Gallenger said:

Export a character in BG2 and see if it creates something somewhere else lol.

The export got placed in the exact same folder :(
    But thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried importing again.. and now Elre Lana shows up! I wonder why he wasn't there initially?? Weird