Skip to content

Can't Revive Character (HELP!)

OK, this website doesn't have the option for a discussion on the ORIGINAL Baldur's Gate, so just to clarify; everything I am going to say is referring to the Baldur's Gate from 1998.

MOVING ON, I was in the Mines section of Cloakwood when I went into battle, yada yada. Point is, Dynaheir died. No, she was not chunked, as her gray portrait is still on the side and I didn't see her explode. I went to Nashkel to get her revived, and everything seemed normal. I went into the temple, selected her portrait, and bought a raise dead spell. It did the weird necromantic-esque screaming/whooshing/whatever you want to call it. She's still dead. I quit and reloaded countless times, and every time I try I use up all of my money until it runs out and the cycle repeats. I don't want to kick her out of the party as I was dumb and pooled a ton of awesome spells on her. Please help a noob in need ;-;

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Do you have the console enabled? And if so, have you tried Ctrl+R?
  • ewn123ewn123 Member Posts: 11
    Why. what does ctrl r do?
    edited August 2016
    It resurrects and heals whatever character the cursor is over, but only if you have the console enabled.
    Well, this is probably gonna sound really nooby, but... How do you enable the console =/
    Ok, I'm gonna scratch the quote above. I've set up the console with a tutorial, but Ctrl + R isn't working. I'm scrolling it over her portrait, is this wrong? also, if it's just not working, what is the CLUA command instead?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm really new to this :neutral:
    Well, I enabled the cheat keys: CLUAConsole:EnableCheatKeys(). I did Ctrl+R, and the portrait gained its color and her health was all the way up, but her actual character isn't there. I tried to go into her inventory so I could give all of her stuff back she lost from death, but the game crashed. I'm just starting to wonder if I should give up on her, but does anyone know whats happening?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Maybe put the cursor on her and use Ctl-Q to force-join the party?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I've only had it happen very rarely but sometimes when characters die something goes wonky and the character *should* have been chunked, and the game thinks they were chunked, but the portrait doesn't disappear.

I had it happen once AGES ago when fighting in BG2 and I just immediately rezzed the character and their sprite was a chunk of meat that wasn't able to move lol.

So sometimes things just go wonky - I'm not really sure what causes it - my guess would be something to do with heal added effects (a potion or spell that adds HPs) and then being reduced to -10 on one scale and not on another and so the game gets confused. But that's just a blind guess.
    What's happening is that vanilla BG is mad buggy. This would be a hassle, but you could kick her out of your party and build a new version of her by cheating. CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("dynahe") will spawn a new Dynaheir. You can use Ctrl+Q to add her to your party, then use CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("______") to give her the right amount of experience. Then, using the item code list here as a guide, you can create scrolls for each of the spells she knew with CLUAConsole:CreateItem("______") and have her relearn them.
    Ok, Thanks for all of the help guys. I think I'm just gonna cheese this one out and make a clone of her like joluv said. It doesn't really feel right, but I guess it's the only thing I can do. Thanks!
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    You could try editing a save game with EEKeeper (it's a program you can download that allows you to edit characters). I never used it myself to resurect a character, but it should work to change her state back to normal.
    Well. Um. I'm confused. I created a new Dynaheir. I saved after she joined my party. The game froze, and I can't close it out. I tried task manager, but when I click it in the bar at the bottom of the computer, it cuts right back to the frozen screen. I don't want to shut the computer off, as it will corrupt the save files. I'm using my dad's work computer to type this, and I'm gonna be in deep sh*t if I can't fix this soon. Can anbody PLEASE help me, and soon.
    Scratch that. I logged out and pretty much deleted my file voluntarily, but NEVER FEAR! There was the auto-save file. I spawned Dynaheir in along with all of her items. I set her XP to 9500 (it was somewhere around there when she died). But now I'm faced with a different dilemma. I cant leave the building. I think it's because of the auto-save, and like I said above, I can't save without the game keeling over and dying. I;m starting to think I should just give the same spells I gave to Dynaheir to a different mage companion I can find. Help...?

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Maybe you could use the C:MoveToArea( x ) command to go somewhere else? AR2300 is the Friendly Arms Inn area, or somewhere else?
    edited August 2016
    Well... If this helps, whenever the game crashes, it says, "An Assertion failed in D:\DevBaldur\ObjCreature.cpp at line number 8013".
    Does this mean anything to anyone?
    ugh the part with the moji is supposed to be a D : accept without the space
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    You may want to start practicing keeping a save every one or two areas, just so you can fall back to something if something goes wrong. Something like:

- Candlekeep complete.
    - Candlekeep-FAI road complete.
    - FAI complete.
    - Beregost complete.
    - Beregost-Nashkel road complete.

Etc...
    Yeah... I'm sorry to say it, but this playthrough might be toast. If I were you, I'd start over and save more often. (Maybe think about getting BGEE, too. This community, which includes EE developers, is better at helping troubleshoot EE issues.)