Skip to content

Another Custom Race for 5e, The Pixie! Thoughts? Sugestions?

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
edited August 2016 in Off-Topic
5e Pixie player race idea. This will replace the normal Pixie from the MM for my homebrew setting once I finalize it.

Age: Pixies reach adulthood around 100 years old and can live into the thousands on their home plane but only to 500 on the material plane.
Alignment: Pixies often drift towards the Chaotic Alignments due to their whimsical nature.
Size: Pixies are Tiny
Speed: 10 ft land, 30 ft fly
Darkvision: 60 ft

Ability Score Increase: Increase a Pixie's Charisma by 1

Tiny Warrior: Pixies receive disadvantage on all weapons that do not have the "light" descriptor. They cannot wield weapons with the "heavy" descriptor. Pixies must have weapons and armor for them specially manufactured. Magical Items Resize to fit their stature.

Fey Heritage: Due to the whimsical nature of the fey realm a Pixie gains a number of spells randomly each day. Each time you finish a long rest, you gain the ability to cast cantrips and spells randomly determined from a short list. At 1st level, you can cast a cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can also cast a 1st-level spell. At 5th level, you can cast a 2nd-level spell.You can cast a spell gained from this trait only once until you complete your next long rest. You can cast a cantrip gained from this trait at will, as normal. For 1st-level spells whose effect changes if cast using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you cast the spell as if using a 2nd-level slot. Spells of 2nd level are cast as if using a 2nd-level slot. At the end of each long rest, you lose the cantrips and spells previously granted by this feature, even if you did not cast them. You replace those cantrips and spells by rolling for new ones on the Fey Arcana Spells table. Roll separately for each cantrip and spell. If you roll the same spell or cantrip you gained at the end of your previous long rest, roll again until you get a different result. Charisma is the casting stat for these abilities.

Fey Arcana:
d6 1st Level
1 Dancing lights
2 Druidcraft
3 Light
4 Message
5 Minor Illusion
6 Prestidigitation

d6 3rd Level
1 Animal Friendship
2 Faerie Fire
3 Tasha's Hideous Laughter
4 Sleep
5 Charm Person
6 Entangle

d6 5th Level
1 Gust of Wind
2 Moon Beam
3 Phantasmal Force
4 Detect Thoughts
5 Spike Growth
6 Invisibility

Languages: You can speak Common and Sylvan

I was inspired for the randomly rolling for spells from this
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/old-black-magic

I'm thinking of adding some more disadvantages to off-set their ability to fly. Any suggestions? I also was drawing their spells from the Druid and Bard tables while looking at the Monster Manuel Pixie which had at-will invisibility, druidcraft, and the following spells 1/day confusion, dancing lights, detect evil and good, detect thoughts, dispel magic, entangle, fly, phantasmal force, polymorph, sleep.
Post edited by Vallmyr on

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Possible addition.

Small Wings: If a Pixie ends their turn more than 5 feet from the ground they flutter down to 5 ft from the ground.