Skip to content

Missable encounters like Jacil and Wiven?

ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
Apparently, there are some encounters at locations that are replaced by quests introduced by later versions of the game.

In Baldur's Gate Northeast, in the Merchants' League Counting House, there is a man called Jacil that attacks you together with his dogs. EE even gave him a Spear +2. The only other magical spears in the game are either only +1 or cursed.

However, if you visit Ulgoth's Beard (which is available long before Baldur's Gate is) and talk to Mendas, Jacil is replaced by Ulf and can no longer be encountered.

In Baldur's Gate Southwest, in the house directly south of Ye Olde Inn, you stumble upon Wiven and her lackeys, who also drop a couple of items, though nothing as impressive as that Spear +2.

Again, you can render this encounter non-existing by talking to Sorrem at the Blade and Stars, after visiting the Docks (again quite likely to happen, as you're directed there from the Docks, which you quite likely visit before the southwest area).

It should be noted that both these problems were created by EE, as Jacil didn't really carry anything of value before EE. One could wonder why the Spear +2 was placed on an NPC that was so easily omitted by talking to a dude far away in a totally different city.

Are there any other such encounters that are easy to miss by doing stuff in the wrong order, when nothing points at the order being wrong?

(I know there's the Aldeth Sashenstar situation, where you either get the Merchants' Guild quest or the Dabron Sashenstar encounter, but that's not exactly the same, as either choice opens an encounter, rather than destroying a seemingly unrelated encounter.)

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Do they perhaps happen to be the only ones?
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I think so, the other new encounters i can think of take place in unused locations.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not an encounter per say, but in beregost, there is a quest to find colquette's amulet (in the house above firebead's house), which can be found near the hobgoblin camp 2 maps south of beregost. This quest couldn't be completed in the original game, since the amulet didnt exist
    @ajwz: Yeah, I'm aware of that. For some reason, I always loot two of the amulets, perhaps because one of my mods (NPC Project? Unfinished Business?) also spawns one?

But that's not exactly what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for are encounters (like Jaril and Wiven) that are removed from the game by doing something apparently completely unrelated to the encounter. For example, talking to Mendas in Ulgoth's Beard removes the only Spear +2 from the game.

Stuff like Colquette's Amulet is nice to spot when you run into it, but doesn't require prior notice, as long as you spot the Amulet on the ground (note that since the Amulet is on the ground, if you don't loot it on your first visit to the area, the Amulet may disappear). Stuff like talking to Mendas or Sorrum removing content from the game is nice to know ahead of time.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Thels said:

Stuff like Colquette's Amulet is nice to spot when you run into it, but doesn't require prior notice, as long as you spot the Amulet on the ground (note that since the Amulet is on the ground, if you don't loot it on your first visit to the area, the Amulet may disappear). Stuff like talking to Mendas or Sorrum removing content from the game is nice to know ahead of time.

Like you say, since it is a ground item, it is missable if you rest ofr leave the area before collecting it. Similarly, you can find a body in cloakwood 2, on the south cliffs, with a magical scimitar, which is also missable. I can't think of any encounters like the one you listed though

There are also items scattered across the floor in the Ulcaster Dungeon (guarded by minions), as well as Durlag's Dungeon (the helmet and goblet at the 2nd level, various items at the very start of the 3rd level).
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I am fairly sure Ingot dissapears if you clear the gnoll fortress before you see him
    edited August 2016
    Hmm, I always take the south route to the Gnoll Stronghold, but that's worth mentioning. I'm gonna check that.

EDIT: @SirBatince , I just gave it a try, going around the other side, wiping out the stronghold (using a lot of CTRL-Y), and then heading over to the Dryad Falls. Ingot approached me almost immediately, yelling that the witch has gotten free and that he's gonna gut her with his teeth, and instantly goes hostile.

If I load the Auto-Save and kick Dynaheir from the party, before heading over to the Dryad Falls, he also approaches me almost immediately, already hostile, but he has nothing to say.

So that doesn't seem to matter much, which is fortunate, as Ingot is another monster that got a solid gear upgrade in EE, just like Jacil.