Skip to content

Tahazzar (Legacy of Bhaal)

Looking for some help, advise. My party gets melted pretty fast(inquisitor, berserker/mage, kensai/mage, archer, ranger/cleric, illusionist/thief. The problem is spell failure from the previous room prevents me from buffing, invisibility is worthless, on top of that, i get dispelled in the begining :smiley:

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Kite a lot. Interrupt key casters. Use potions. Certainly one of the more challenging fights.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Does the Bhaalspawn have to be evil to delay that fight, or will having an evil party leader suffice?
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    edited August 2016
    @joluv,
    I think the Charname has to be evil especially CE.
    @Mandragora
    Try multi-times exit for healing and back in for killing (in LoB mode don't mind the cheesy stuffs).
    Post edited by Bubbles on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Mandragora Also you don't have to buff in the room before, you can exit from it from another exit, go at the beginning point of the maze and do all the road again. When you are in the room before the death magic one you can buff, set contingiences and do whatever you want than run through the death magic room and face Tahazzar and friends fully buffed :wink:
    your 2 Fighter Mages with SI abjuration and a PFMW active and an other in a contingency damaged to 50% hp should be 2 untouchable tanks for quite a long time as the other members of the party help them and hit hard.
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79

@Mandragora Also you don't have to buff in the room before, you can exit from it from another exit, go at the beginning point of the maze and do all the road again. When you are in the room before the death magic one you can buff, set contingiences and do whatever you want than run through the death magic room and face Tahazzar and friends fully buffed :wink:
    your 2 Fighter Mages with SI abjuration and a PFMW active and an other in a contingency damaged to 50% hp should be 2 untouchable tanks for quite a long time as the other members of the party help them and hit hard.

Doesnt work that way :smiley: I still get debuffed while passing that "forbidden magic" room.
    joluv said:

Does the Bhaalspawn have to be evil to delay that fight, or will having an evil party leader suffice?

My PC is inquisitor so negotiations are out of question..
    @Mandragora if you get debuffed at least it should be possible to set sequencers and contingiences, thing that you can not do in the forbidden magic room. Not optimal but better than nothing.

@Mandragora if you get debuffed at least it should be possible to set sequencers and contingiences, thing that you can not do in the forbidden magic room. Not optimal but better than nothing.

Sometimes even spell immunity is removed while passing the room and then usually in like third round almost whole party gets confused/stunned.
    The cheese way could be SI conjuration+chain contingency+triple Abi dazim and then just reenter the room as @Bubbles mentioned
    edited August 2016
    Well that cheesy strategy did work. Funny thing is, you still have to rush Tahazzar because other mobs (including drow? and succubus) will respawn. Definitely hard battle, don't even want to think about the other evil party right before Demogorgon..
    Now that i have Tahazzar'ss heart, Ka'rashur was friendly, despite PC being paladin, before he would become aggressive no matter what
    @Mandragora
    The really hard fight before Demogorgon is after you insert 3 keys, each has a party of mobs to contend with and the worst is that party with the hive-mama (for this fight down the mama and that huntress as fast as you can, that huntress seemed to be able to drain strength when her arrows hit you, my solo charname was drained till immobile due to weight (that was only in core rules) and I sat and watch him being chewed up .....
    Bubbles said:

@Mandragora
    The really hard fight before Demogorgon is after you insert 3 keys, each has a party of mobs to contend with and the worst is that party with the hive-mama (for this fight down the mama and that huntress as fast as you can, that huntress seemed to be able to drain strength when her arrows hit you, my solo charname was drained till immobile due to weight (that was only in core rules) and I sat and watch him being chewed up .....

Thats the evil party i'm talking about..Always hated that hunter and her plague
    @Mandragora
    Well, at least with party runs, you can buffer with summons, guess what my poor monk did?
    Enter, throw 1 time firetooth dagger, run like mad 1 big round and go back in to level 4, then heal whatever and rebuff any lost buff and repeat this till huntress die .... then come that Mama, that Mama has stoneskins arrgghhh dagger don't work well (APR too low) so I go in punch punch run around punch punch.
    At least now I don't have to exit that often as no more strength loss.
    Bubbles said:

Well, at least with party runs, you can buffer with summons

At WK levels a monk should have many ways to summon helpers.
    Sure that the fact that he can not use staves sucks, you loose 3 elemental summons and a domination that works on most of the enemies, even some bosses. And you did not buy Ras.
    But you should have a golem, an efreti, maybe a djinni, you should have bonus Mirror Images, a troll form to regenerate while fighting and maybe something more. A soloer, and especially someone who can't cast arcane magic, should collect every useful item. For him items that many players almost never use in a party are sometimes the keys to win battles, the difference between victory and death.

edited August 2016
    @Bubbles solo with monk meeeh, i feel your pain :smiley: although i've heard that they get very resistant to like everything in late game

@gorgonzola This is the interesting part of Legacy of Bhaal as well, you are forced to use a lot more of various consumables(potions, protection scrolls, wands) & summons

Funny thing, yesterday i've managed to cause panic to Saladrex :smiley: never seen scared dragon before
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Funny thing, yesterday i've managed to cause panic to Saladrex :smiley: never seen scared dragon before

This used to be a standard tactic (they probably changed that in EE, haven't tried in years). Dragons were not immune to fear and fearing them broke their AI script so they turned into dumb target dummies.
    @Lord_Tansheron
    I thought those over-sized lizards are very high in magic resistance?
    In normal gameplays we tend to think there are too many unused consumables but in solo or LoB suddenly I find many shops didn't really have that much consumables (in terms of quantity) to buy X_X, and I have learned to "run for my life" eversince hahaha
    Indeed, i'm always short on absorbtion potions
    There is also 1 very sick thing I noticed in my solo run.
    Potion of Invisibilty + cloak of non-detection = nobody could see me right?
    But this ain't the case when I do solo runs just at core rules, not just bosses but many mobs still seemed to be able to find me X_X.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Bubbles: True Sight dispels invisibility, even when you wear the Cloak of Non-detection. The cloak is really only good for non-magical stealth. And yes, some types of creatures, like demons and kuo-toa, can see through invisibility and stealth.
    @joluv
    Before, I hardly use invisibility, up until I did a monk solo and I realized some creatures or maybe when we reach very high levels, the upscaling of mobs gave them such capabilities, I wonder ...
    joluv said:

True Sight dispels invisibility, even when you wear the Cloak of Non-detection. The cloak is really only good for non-magical stealth. And yes, some types of creatures, like demons and kuo-toa, can see through invisibility and stealth.

True, but there are items that in combination with the Cloak of Non-detection give an undispellable invisibility. SoTM (unnerfed) and those rings that Ribald sells. So the cloak is really useful also for not thieves.
    Against enemies that see trough invisibility there is nothing you can do as your invisibility is not dispelled but they see you any way. No, wait, you can still use the fact that the monster sees you but his helpers can't to try to lure him away from them. With the mods that I am running a powerful demon (that see though inv.) spawns at each battle with a lich (that don't see trough it), at low levels to lure away the demon is one of the "easiest" tactics to win those battles. Is not possible to use this tactic taking advantage from the fact that you can not avoid to be seen. This don't work in situations WK and in other places where the fight happens in a very small area, but at least let you spare some precious consumables for those situations.

Is a big change from the unmodded game where you end with a lot of not used consumables, now your approach should be "I will use my best consumable items in each hard battle, but if I can find a workaround I will first try with it. And this is also an interesting "inventory management", way better than the one of the unmodded game that I find quite annoying (I play with infinite stackable potions, bullets and scrolls and often cheat in a Bag of Holding because I like other more creative ways to micromanage).
    @gorgonzola
    At the moment I am running unmodded, for some strange reasons, 1 see you all see you ...
    @Bubbles I wrote "Is a big change from the unmodded game", but the same is true also playing with LoB or soloing certain classes like a Druid, Thief, Cleric or Monk. Maybe I should have worded better, like "from a vanilla game with a well balanced party".

About fear and lizards is true that they have both MR and good saving throws, but there is a workaround....
    I bet that you know it :smile:
    @gorgonzola
    Lately I suffered from dragon phobia (used to bully them but lately got a fright from a few of them x_x) hahah still trying to recover from those frights (I used to play as a party so never occurred to me in solo that dragon fear could affect level 40 charname (my party play, all charnames to date have never been feared by any lizards before so I was caught off guard hahaha having to see my madly running monk shredded and torn to strips is a sight I never thought I would ever see ^^