Skip to content

[Spoilers] Achievements that I just can't seem to get a hold of

RythDarkbaneRythDarkbane Member Posts: 12
I've seen a lot of other people post issues with some achievements. I have tried every single idea I can find so far (and will list the ones that I have tried) in order to get a lot of them. If anyone has any insight, that would be great!

Appeal to Reason/Breaking Point

I talked to both Rigah and Julann before I went down into the Underground River tunnels. I completed everything inside and exited with the documents. When I talk to them, there are no options, just the same regular responses after you have exhausted all the options from talking to them. I have tried adding Minsc and Dyanheir into the party and having them hold the documents as well. I never get any dialogue. EDIT: Was able to complete it 2nd playthrough. There was actual dialogue this time and I easily figured it out. They must have been bugged in my last run.

Grim Deeds to Come

Is this just outright bugged? I have never truly found a dev response to this but have seen a lot of people claim it in other threads. I even was able to sneak a save in right before the final cinematic played through but no number of reloads will get it to trigger. That is assuming that it requires the very last cinematic before the credits to play.

Painful Recital

I have made Minsc leader and had a negative reaction from all the Menhir. I've done it in different orders but never got it to trigger. Does it have to be the PC that has the low Charisma? EDIT: 2nd playthrough I did the same thing and it worked. Must be partially bugged.

You Chose...Poorly

I've seen all kinds of ideas to get this one to work. I have a save right after the first battle/right before he talks about offering the riddle. I have done every single combination I thought possible. I have offered everyone in my party, it doesn't trigger. I have offered everyone in my party as the 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, 4th choice, and 5th choice and it never triggers. I have also offered everyone choosing every wrong answer and it doesn't trigger. I know some people have gotten this achievement. I have no idea what to do.

Friend of Volo

I have completed both the main story line (solo) and the expansion (with a party) with the same character and this did not trigger at the end of the main campaign or the expansion campaign. I have tried reloading and it will not trigger. I don't even want to try to attempt Lord of Murder if this one won't trigger.

Godlike

I haven't heard of anyone struggling with this one. I assume that the 25 str you get from doing Story Mode doesn't count for this achievement, but if I even buff someone up with another stat and use equipment/pots to raise it further, it still won't trigger (I do charisma because my main PC has a lot of it) EDIT: Did it in a non Story Mode run and it worked. Maybe Story Mode prevents the achievement

I also struggle with figuring out how to do Untouchable, but that one I haven't had fail because I've never gotten to -15 AC.

Other ones I have not attempted before 100% completion are: All the Enemies/Allies (completed), Riddlemaster (completed), Sacrifices must be Made, Loremaster, It Wasn't Me. I will assume all of those are not bugged as I have not attempted them yet.

If anyone has any extra ideas of how to get the ones I have put spoilers on (or any of the rest if you want to), I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Changed ones that I have been able to complete successfully since this post.
Post edited by RythDarkbane on

Comments

• BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    So far I'm still missing only two achievements: "You Chose...Poorly" and "Grim Deeds to Come". The former just doesn't work for me. I get a journal entry that I've lost a companion, but never the achievement. Not even at end of game. The latter is a mystery. Don't know anyone who has managed to get it. What does "outside Baldur's Gate" refer to? All the areas from Coastway Crossing to Dragonspear Castle? Or only the tiny area after escaping through the sewers? There is no attack anymore so late in the game. Just the final cutscene. The sewers don't trigger it.

Appeal to Reason/Breaking Point :
    Hard to comment on without knowing the available talk options. Use your main character for the talking. Minsc & Dynaheir are required for some extra talk, which can lead to Rigah reaching a depressed state first and after some time, such as when returning with the journal found underground, turning against Julann if you continue to raise questions about his witch and his future. The alternative is, when you show them the journal, they don't believe you at first, and that is your option to show ignorance, which will make them head off immediately to castle dragonspear.

Does it have to be the PC that has the low Charisma?

Yes, also for various other achievements it must be the main character.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Appeal to Reason/Breaking Point
    I really never had any problem with it, i think you should reset a global variable. Try it again in story mode and consode, make a quick run, have them both from the begin. I think you should have them in your party once you get the document. Last time i did it was yestrday and it worked again. I can check if it's a global variable for you if you are going to attach your game here. But as i have said i never had a problem with it.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    I'm 99% certain Grim Deeds to Come is bugged and unobtainable. I've submitted a bug report but no update yet.

Appeal to Reason/Breaking Point is a bit buggy. I had to try multiple times to get the correct dialogue. I believe when you first talk to them, you have to have Minsc and Dynaheir in the party and have them talk to the pair of them. Then when we find the evidence and come back, different dialogue options are available which lead to them leaving the Crusade or Rigah attacking.

I would make a hard save before speaking to them, then running through to get the evidence and come back to them and try all dialogue pathways to unlock the achievements.

I got Friend of Volo prior to installing SoD, so I'm not sure if the DLC messes with that achievement or not. I believe I had to do a workaround for it. Use an area of attack spell on Sarevok while he's off screen ( so that he doesn't begin dialogue) and then have the party run outside of the temple. He will follow, start his dialogue, then kill him. Then reenter the temple and the game will end. The achievement should pop then.

For painful recital, I had Minsc fail all of the menhirs as well and it popped for me. I don't think it depends on Charname's charisma as I was a paladin. Did you have Minsc fail all menhirs and complete the quest? Maybe it only pops up after failing them all and then talking to the bard's ghost. Also, did you get the riddle right? Maybe you have to incorrectly guess.

You Chose...Poorly is bugged. I was able to get it, but it was random and I know it's difficult for people to get. My first playthrough I didn't get it, and second run I did on the first try. Second run I had Neera, Voghlin, Safana and Viconia in the party. I offered Neera, achievement popped. I don't know if there are other variables which prevent it from loading, as this was a speed run and I hadn't done most side quests, or if it's party composition or what.
  • PaulGreystokePaulGreystoke Member Posts: 63
    For Painful Recital, I think you need to get the riddle wrong. I popped that achievement recently with an old save on a low-CHA Charname. Charname got a negative reaction on every menhir, but the achievement didn't pop. I rolled back to my save at the menhir with the riddle, answered it incorrectly, then finished off the menhirs - & I received the achievement.
  • RythDarkbaneRythDarkbane Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give them all a try and hopefully they will work out this time.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Still missing only two achievements: "You Chose...Poorly" and "Grim Deeds to Come".

Especially "You Chose...Poorly" is unchanged and still broken in the same way. Only the journal entry appears.

Any estimate on when this will be fixed?
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196

Grim Deeds to Come

Is this just outright bugged? I have never truly found a dev response to this but have seen a lot of people claim it in other threads. I even was able to sneak a save in right before the final cinematic played through but no number of reloads will get it to trigger. That is assuming that it requires the very last cinematic before the credits to play.

As far as I know it's bugged, not sure if they have fixed it, but it never worker well so far.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Why are achievements awarded by doing things in the worst possible fashion?
  • AtroposAtropos Member Posts: 18
    Really wish I could get "You Chose ... Poorly" to work for me, no matter what I try can't get it to unlock. So frustrating that this and Grim Deeds are still unfixed :(

Come on Beamdog! You got this!