Skip to content

The one thing you hated the most about BG1, BG2 and TOB

ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hey there^^
I just wanted to get your oppinions on the one thing you hated the most about BG1. Note that I aim this question directly to the different vanilla games - as some stuff is different depending on which of the games of the trilogy you play.

So here's my stuff:

Baldur's Gate:
Respawn. Sorry, but I could never stand it. It was so goddamn annoying to fight through hundreds and thousands of goblins again and again just because you took the wrong turn in a dungeon or missed out on some loot - or simply had to go back out.
I still got nightmares of the firewine ruins with 20 goblin archers respawning at almost every corner in a goddamn way to small area to fight properly...

Baldur's Gate II:
Girdles of Strength. I simply felt that those items took away half the fun of playing str-handicapped characters. With the girdle of hill giants strength available for vending almost instantly (good aligned characters with high charisma could basicly buy it after killing hendak in the copper coronet), you were able to go for a minimum in strength without a noticable disadvantage throughout the game. To top that, there were even four more items to boost strength to ridicolous high levels available. You could basicly make your entire party to unstoppable melee killing machines which is just weird...
I always felt that all the stat-items should be changed to actually give a plus bonus, not locking the stat to a specific value.
Which means the girdle of hill giant strength should give +1 to str, frost +2, etc.

Throne of Bhaal:
Money inflation. I simply felt that the money aspect of the game went for the extreme by the end of Baldurs Gate II. With all the +2/+3 magic items dropping even from the lowest mass-trash-battles, the economy aspect of Baldurs Gate went down the drain. This was already an issue by the end of BG2, but in TOB it was just ridicolous, as you would easily have a six-digit value of gold when leaving Saradush. I feel that at some point of the game, the developers should have went for a "hidden item" approach, where not all items worn by paperdoll enemies actually drop in the game.

So what did you dislike the most about the games?

Comments

• KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    BG2: No evil thief.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    BG1 didn't have goblins did it?

Whole saga complaint: No pointy hats for mages.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    ToB was linear and all the games were very buggy.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    BG and BG2: (lack of) pathfinding through narrow passages.

ToB: same as above, and the general feeling that I'm on a little too linear fast track toward the ending.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    salieri said:

BG1 didn't have goblins did it?

Whole saga complaint: No pointy hats for mages.

Well, I was talking about kobolds, not goblins. My bad. ;)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Yes, Baldur's Gate 1's respawning is truly awful. Also, you meant Kobold Commandos in the Firewine Ruins. Which is definitely the very worst instance of that ... feature.

Baldur's Gate II ... I think probably the lack of even alignment party distributions. A ton of Good characters, a "meh" amount of Neutral, one of which who dies. And a very, very sad number of Evil characters. If you want to play a full-evil party, you can only pick up 3 NPCs until ToB where you get 4 thanks to Sarevok. Seriously pathetic.

BGII:ToB, too linear and yes the money got just plain retarded. ToB in general is worth about 1-2 playthroughs if you ask me ... after that it just gets tedious.
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    Baldur's Gate:
    No dual-wielding; understandable, just annoying.

Noober.

That pissant halfling who pickpockets you every time you talk to him.

Baldur's Gate II:
    The Rock-Paper-Scissors of spellcaster combat. My Dispel Magic beats your Protection from Evil but your Pierce Magic beats my Spell Reflection, etc etc etc. I felt like I was playing a minigame every time I selected my spells to prepare.

Also, the nigh invulnerability of a caster wearing the Aslyferund Elven Chain. Wade in with Stoneskin and Protection from Magic Weapons.

Throne of Bhaal:
    The inflation thing, too. And the ridiculously overpowered weapons. I mean, come on, how many +5 weapons exist, and how did all of the components land within a hundred miles of each other?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Rythgar said:

Baldur's Gate II:
    The Rock-Paper-Scissors of spellcaster combat. My Dispel Magic beats your Protection from Evil but your Pierce Magic beats my Spell Reflection, etc etc etc. I felt like I was playing a minigame every time I selected my spells to prepare.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie that stuff felt pretty annoying to me too.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    BG1: Walking Speed, Constant Respawning, Hard to Find Items. My last playthrough I played a Paladin. And the Firewine Ruins... I eventually got fed up and left my party in a central, defensive position. Then gave my Paladin all the anti-archer gear I could muster and sent him in alone to beat the dungeon into submission. It worked surprisingly well. I had already "cleared" half of it which included a few of the scripted fights he'd have trouble with solo.

BG2: Walking Speed. I started with BG2. Then enjoyed it enough I got the original game+TOSC. and it was still too dang slow.

ToB: The Linear-ness didn't bother me that much. The expansion of the first game was pretty linear, and the big draw of ToB was tying up all the romances and loose ends. The sheer number of highly magical but completely boring swords broke my suspension of disbelief though. If you could equip an army that well you could buy your way to godhood.

Series Wide: Searching. I Like exploring and finding secrets and doing side quests. I just wish it was a little less tedious. Better walking speed would help. (Anyone seeing a pattern? haha) But if you could get some hints about it in game it would help a lot. Rangers and Druids should get clues in wilderness areas. Thieves and Bards in cities. There's a Listen to Rumors mechanic already they could have used to give hints about points of interest. Just things that would make it a little less like organizing a search grid to scour every zone for everything. We're heroes trying to save the world, is it really in character to be scouring every area like that?
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    The Daughters of Mystra references. I thought for sure in BG 1 we were setting up a Mystra/Bhaal story arc. I didn't like where TOB went, seemed like the story changes horses in midstream.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Yes! Switching Discs was darned annoying. I remember swapping floppies to play Civilization haha. And it was way worse in BG for just the reason you mentioned.

And the pathfinding was really, really bad sometimes. That was ultimately why I had my paladin solo the Firewine Ruins.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    I dislike more aspects of the IWD games then BG. I didn't like in BG2 how they assumed you played good in the first game... The reputation traps were dumb in Amn... They were just never-ending bounty hunters. It was like broken in terms of spawn rate. But that's what you get for having your rep in the toilet I guess.
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    BG and BG2- Swapping Disks was the worst part about the game.After I learned about them I feel extremely in love with no-cd fixes that saved my disks wear and tear.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    BG1: The slow walk speeds, hitting the level cap very early and having nothing to play for once you get the last tome
    BG2: The opening dungeon, the unskippable dream sequences (which for some reason annoy me much more than the other unskippable cutscenes)
    TOB: All of it
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    'YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH!'
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    edited September 2012
    BG1: Slow progression.
    BG2: Level drain.
    ToB: Draconis. He forced me to cheat.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    BG1: Lack of extraneous, non-NPC portraits, and the difficulty in finding any custom portraits that are a good match for the style.

BG2: The pastal potraits, and new art assets in general. Ugh. Although I'll grant you that Viconia's was an improvement. Should have rehired Mike Sass.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I think the reason there are so few evil NPCs in BG2 is they wanted the party interaction evil characters bring, which is to say they really don't like the vast majority of good-aligned characters and it leads to conflict.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Lock said:

BG1: Lack of extraneous, non-NPC portraits, and the difficulty in finding any custom portraits that are a good match for the style.

BG2: The pastal potraits, and new art assets in general. Ugh. Although I'll grant you that Viconia's was an improvement. Should have rehired Mike Sass.

I think you must be the first person I have ever seen criticize the BG2 portraits and art!

I have to echo all that has been said about ToB here. Although I enjoyed playing it, it could have been a lot better..

BG1: Late entry for NPC's. Too many NPC's that you couldn't get your hands on until the game was nearly over..
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Quartz said:

Rythgar said:

Baldur's Gate II:

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie that stuff felt pretty annoying to me too.
    That was one of my absolute favourite things about the game, haha!
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Absolute worst ting about bg1&2 is that they are made up. I want RL to be more like that. RL sucks.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012

I think you must be the first person I have ever seen criticize the BG2 portraits and art!

I've seen plenty of people complain about Jaheira's portrait change and Aerie's "alien" face.
  • RedcoatRedcoat Member Posts: 31
    Tr_ond said:

Absolute worst ting about bg1&2 is that they are made up. I want RL to be more like that. RL sucks.

Really.

Because I was hiking in the wilderness some time ago, when I came upon a wolf, which ran away as soon as it caught sight of me.

If real life were like Baldur's Gate, I'd be *dead*.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    The only thing I can think of is no Max Hit Point levelling for BG1, and having to reload constantly to get your max hit points for yourself and other NPCs. Especially frustrating and lots of reloading when you have two or three characters level up at the same time.

Everything else was perfect for me.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    In all honesty,

BG1: The shallow, shallow story telling. It doesn't really get good until you hit Baldur's Gate proper and even then, it's pretty shallow. I know I am going to get a lot of hate for this opinion. There's a major lack of characterization among the people you can bring in your parties. When I hear stories of how people "totally love" some NPC, I always sit back and wonder why. Very, very few of them interact with you on any meaningful level, so their entire character is simply a bunch of sound bites.

I am more emotionally invested in Dota 2's characters and people who have played that game understand why this is pretty sad.

BG2: Time-sensetive gameplay. What I mean by that is many dialogues initated by your NPCs simply ticked off the amount of time the game has been running. I tend to power through the game at a pretty brisk pace (once you understand AD&D combat, you can obliterate anything with ease), so I have not ever actually finished the Jaheira romance just as one example. I don't want to pause the game before I leave my house just to leave it on in the background so I can experience all the RP stuff.

ToB: It's too damn easy.
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    monks! i feel like the lore aspect behind them contradicts the fantasy world created for bg.

also why does every game stop my mage from using armor and give some pathetic reason, when really we all know its an ill attempt of a balancing act. yes mages are overpowered but so they should be, they do have magic after all.

lastly this game is hell hard to mod disallowing what should be a valid weapon choice. i want to wield a bow and switch to 2 weapon style or sword and shield using quick slots. or i want to use a throwing axe with crom faeyr in my offhand giving me the str bonus

ok thats 3 things. despite these i still love the game.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    I constantly hear about the walking speed in all those comments. I don't really understand that issue, as you can simply speed up the game by increasing the FPS in the game settings.
    I recommend a setting of 45 FPS. Pretty balanced, the animations look fluid, the fights don't get to fast and the walking speed is just fine. You should give it a try.