Skip to content

TriggerActivation()

AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
edited September 2012 in General Modding
Newby here, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.
177 TriggerActivation(O:Object*,I:State*Boolean)
This action is used in conjunction with trigger region in ARE files. The action sets the activation state a trigger region (specified by the object parameter).
This sounds very cryptic to me... I've read it a couple of times and I still don't know what this function actually does.

If I use TriggerActivation("myTrigger", FALSE) on a trigger region, can you still click that region? Will the region script still run?

As a sidenote: are there good guides for "essential" skills such as working with trigger regions? Or do I have to gather information from bits and pieces here and there...
I've read a few introductory tutorials here and there, but I can't find any "everything you need to know about..." guides. For example, when I'm using the DLTC Editor I'm often left in the dark wondering what a certain value means.

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    That will disable your trigger and you wont be able to click it:) As for your script... that depends on how it is triggered. If its going off the clicking, then no.. your script wont do anything either.

You would do well to start here: http://www.pocketplane.net/tutorials/simscript.html
    SimDingO Complete Scripting Guide
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited September 2012
    So it's impossible to recycle a trigger region that is used (and disabled after use) by the vanilla game?

I guess I could just copy the entire script to the override and remove the TriggerActivation() action, but that's probably not a good idea for compatibility, right?

Basically the old script sets a global, then disables the trigger region.
    Maybe I could append a new block that checks that global and enables the trigger region again?
    Or do region scripts only respond to Clicked() triggers?

Thanks for the link. I think I got scripting figured out for the most part, and am looking for other guides right now (I just found http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/dltcep/index.htm and I think it's a good place to continue my quest for modding knowledge)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Oooh! No, you can recycle triggers and reactivate them. You can also direct it to change its script to your own. Read the guide... lots of great stuff in there and some examples. Then I suggest thinking of something in the game that is similar to what you want to do... and take a look how it was done.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I read the guide and I don't see how I could change a script to my own.

I can't think of an example that's somehow similar, because regions don't get disabled if they're still going to be used...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    There is a script editor in DLTCEP which uses WeiDU for compiling. (disable the internal script compiler/decompiler, download weidu, and configure it in dltcep).
    You didn't say what kind of script you want to write. Scripts are quite diverse, it requires lots of learning.
    Try to decompile some scripts and figure out what they do.