Skip to content

Goodberry could be fixed...

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
Goodberries is currently a quite terrible druid spell, that could easily be made into a quite okay spell:

Currently it generates 5 berries that each take one round to consume. This makes them 100℅ useless during battle. In effect, this leaves them as a much slower and less powerful version of cure light wounds (it took me 1.5 minute in real time, to consume a stack of 30 berries). The spell has virtually no advantages to its 1st level competitor.

However, it could be made to carve out it's own little niche in the druid spell selection. If it instead produced *one* berry that could heal 5 hit points, it would pose itself not only as a combat viable healing option, but also with a distinct advantage over ordinary healing spells: as goodberries can be produced in advance of combat, they allows the party to increase the potential healing throughput during combat. Instead of only one or two characters being able to push out healing spells, each party member could have his own little stash of berries to gain healing from. In essence, goodberry would become a freebie mini healing potion.

How many of you guys would consider this alteration to be too powerful? Considering how abysmal the 2nd level druid spell selection is, I think it would be a welcome move of the Goodberry spell into the range of mediumly useful spells.

Here's the redmine link:
http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/25760

if you like this suggestion, go to it and click 'watch'. In that way, the developers can gauge how many people would find this change to the Goodberry spell interesting.
Post edited by Loldrup on

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Good berry should be turned to something like Lesser Vigor of 3E.
    You don't get immediate healing like potions or Cure Wounds spells but you get 1 HP per round (or per two rounds or more) to a cap.

That would make it a better downtime spell that heals more in the long-run but much slower.
    It would be better for out of combat healing also but not in-combat.

Or perhaps it could scale with class levels. At 5 Druid levels, it would heal 5 HP. At 10 Druid levels it would heal 10 etc.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd be happier with goodberries if they all went to stacked into one slot instead of taking up multiple inventory slots
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Would be more useful indeed, @Dee

Haste + Goodberries
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2016
    Archaos said:

Good berry should be turned to something like Lesser Vigor of 3E.

This might be a good direction to take Goodberry, though I want to note that my proposal has the quality of only requiring a trivial amount of coding: changing the output from 5 berries that heals one point, to 1 berry that heals 5 points should only require changing two constants.

@Dee: I really like your suggestion about goodberries also removing fatigue :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I would like it if they gave a short-term constitution boost.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2016
    joluv said:

I would like it if they gave a short-term constitution boost.

A food mod had several food stuff that gave temporary bonuses to str and con. Chosen of Mystara's food and herbal mod, IIRC.

I fix goodberry in my game so that the whole clump is eaten at once, healing 5 hp. The item looks like a handful of berries, and the spell produces only one of those. In effect, still has the same power but easier to use. Works for me. It is a portable and stackable healing item, so it being weaker than cure light wounds makes sense.
    I also make it a 'potion' item type so I can right click and drink in inventory while browsing and sorting items, no need to transfer it to quick slot and activate in-game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Strangely in bg2 in the middle of the bridge district, there is a merchant who sells individual goodberries which seem to last forever
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Weren't those goodberry flavoured fruit drops? I certainly could image there being a demand for such a thing.