Skip to content

IRL situations reflected as fantastical.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
So over on the "Name three things you don't want in a new D&D game" thread we diverted into an off-topic conversation about IRL politics entering video games. I was suggesting how to make IRL topics into fantastical situations. The examples I gave in the thread were

Maybe we can have an analog. Possible a half-elf character that's born into human society but feels their elven heritage calling and defies their human village/family.

Or a female dwarf with a beard that decides to cut her beard to defy her dwarvern family traditions. This is defying her races gender roles and can be used to reflect IRL people defying their traditional gender roles.

Maybe a side-quest halfling girl that's betrothed to another person by her family but she's in love with a human girl that works at a tavern. You can either get her to stick to her marriage or help her escape with the human.

I personally would love to see things like this that reflect IRL situations but are clearly fantastical.

With the recent backlash at a certain NPC in SoD, I believe this would be a good way to tackle IRL subjects but clearly keep them fitting the fantasy setting. Of course we can tackle them head on like with Dorian's character but that requires more effort since he was a full on party member and I'm talking about side-quest characters.

Anyway, we can continue the discussion here about what belongs and does not belong in a fantasy setting and possible alternative ideas.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    joluv said:

Look, it's very simple:
    - Unrealistic things break immersion and therefore do not belong in a fantasy setting.
    - Realistic things detract from escapism and therefore do not belong in a fantasy setting.

Of course, these arguments must only be used to delegitimize things I don't like. Everything I do like is granted an unexplained exception.

I like you.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    joluv said:

Look, it's very simple:
    - Unrealistic things break immersion and therefore do not belong in a fantasy setting.
    - Realistic things detract from escapism and therefore do not belong in a fantasy setting.

Of course, these arguments must only be used to delegitimize things I don't like. Everything I do like is granted an unexplained exception.

I see why you are able to charge those prices now.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    The idea is good, in my opinion. One could make sure those NPC's are not essential to the story, to keep them from stepping on the toes of easily offended tradionalists, but SOD seems to prove that does not really work.

Diversity makes for good gameplay. Not everyone needs a long story, but reflecting the real world does make it more believable.

An NPC with a quest for a girdle of masculinity/feminity, forbidden love between same-sex people (maybe even forbidden because of a prearranged marriage), a gnome longing for a halfling's embrace, who, however, does not want to shake off the ties to tradition.

These things make the world more interesting.