Skip to content

Is it possible to change the color of a spell?

For instance if I wanted a puff of smoke visual effect to be purple instead of gray? If so, would it be possible to change ALL the spells a character has to be one color? Red fireball, red Cloudkill, etc?

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    You can. Do you have dltcep and/or nearinfinity? You need to find the correct bams associated with a given spell. This can be tricky as sometimes they are in the projectile or in a vvc that is used by the projectile. Other times, they are found in the body of the spell itself. Anyway, I have had the most success changing bams in dltcep. The "Palette" tab is your friend. I usually just fiddle with that until I get something I like.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's very easy to do in Near Infinity as well. Just open the BAM animation in the BAM Converter and use any of the color filters to change the appearance of the animation (e.g. "Hue/Saturation/Lightness" or "Swap Color Channel").

As already mentioned by @Grammarsalad , the animation files are either referenced by effect opcodes (most likely opcode 215 - Play Visual Effect) in the respective spells, possibly indirectly via VVC files, or defined in the associated projectile file.

Example "SPFLAST2.BAM" used for the Flame Strike animation. Before:

and after using a filter:

You can read more about it in the Near Infinity Wiki.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I don't think it's however possible to dynamically change the color of a spell so to "change all the spells a character has" you'd need to make a different version of every spell the character has and then change all his spells on the spot.