Skip to content

[Kit Idea] The Warlock (Sorcerer Kit)

Jackkel_DragonJackkel_Dragon Member Posts: 103
edited March 2013 in General Modding
While playing around with kits and working on ideas for a possible SoA NPC mod (separate from my already-planned expansion of Helarine to SoA), I thought it would be interesting to have a kit for a darker side of the sorcerer class (without necessarily being evil). I went through a few ideas that ended up falling apart, then decided to convert the existing D@D 3.5e warlock into a sorcerer kit.

Well, while I did base my ideas off the Warlock class's abilities, being a sorcerer kit for a different edtion it doesn't quite match the Warlock class, but I tried to keep with the theme of a dark and powerful spellcaster.

As with many of my mod ideas, I'm not 100% sure this can be created in the BGEE engine. So before I get started on figuring out how to code new abilities and such, I'd like to know what people think of the kit idea. As it stands, I feel like it's a little unorganized in progression (I mostly just put things in places where they looked nice in my text editor) and more than a little overpowered (at ToB max level, you get 9 free spells, most of which improve with level). So I'm open to suggestions on progression and toning down the awesomeness to a playable level.

--------------------------------

Warlock (Sorcerer Kit)

Advantages:
- The warlock gains 3 lore per level instead of 1.
- At level 1, the warlock gains a -1 bonus to AC. This bonus improves by 1 at levels 3, 9, 12, 15, and 21.
- At level 1, the warlock gains the ability to use Eldritch Blast two times per day. The warlock gains one addition use per day at levels 6, 15, and 21.
- At level 3, the warlock gains the ability to use Frightful Blast once per day.
- At level 9, the warlock gains the ability to use Eldritch Chain once per day.
- At level 12, the warlock gains 5% resistance to elemental damage (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic). This bonus increases by 5% at levels 18, 27, and 30.
- At level 18, the warlock gains the ability to use Brimstone Blast once per day.
- At level 24, the warlock gains the ability to use Bewitching Blast once per day.

Disadvantages:
- Can only cast two spells per day per spell level.
- Restricted to any chaotic or any evil alignment.

Eldritch Blast

This supernatural ability strikes one target within medium range for 2d6 + 1d3/level magical damage.

Frightful Blast

This supernatural ability acts as the Horror spell, with an additional -1 penalty on saving throws for every 3 levels of the warlock (rounded down).

Eldritch Chain

As Eldritch Blast, but also affects any creature within 15 feet of the target.

Brimstone Blast

As Eldritch Blast, only half of the damage is fire damage. In addition, the target must save vs. spell or take 1d8 fire damage for one round for every 3 levels of the warlock (rounded down).

Bewitching Blast

Target is dominated with no saving throw or protection from magic resistance for one round for every 3 levels of the warlock (rounded down). (This ability does not work on plot-critical enemies or enemies immune to domination.)

-----------------------------------

Progression Table by Level

lv1 - lore bonus, AC -1, Eldritch blast x2

lv3 - AC -2, Frightful Blast

lv6 - Eldritch Blast x3

lv9 - AC -3, Eldritch Chain - (BGEE max level without mods)

lv12 - AC -4, 5% energy resistance

lv15 - AC -5, Eldritch Blast x4 - (SoA max level is 17 without mods)

lv18 - 10% energy resistance, Brimstone Blast

lv21 - AC -6, Eldritch Blast x5

lv24 - Bewitching Blast

lv27 - 15% energy resistance

lv30 - 20% energy resistance
Post edited by Jackkel_Dragon on

Comments

• revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Looks solid, and warlock was one of my favorites back in 3.5, but I do have a couple of questions. Why the AC bonus? I don't recall warlocks having that. Same with the lore bonus. I'd say scrap these and give the warlock more eldrich blasts, which is what I recall the warlock being centered around.
  • Jackkel_DragonJackkel_Dragon Member Posts: 103
    From the NWN2 wiki, warlocks get Eldritch Lore (+2 to lore and spellcraft skills) and damage reduction. Since I don't believe damage reduction is in the BG games, I changed it to an AC bonus. That said... I may want to tone down the AC bonus a bit. NWN2 warlock has some nice DR, but still small enough to be useless in high-level melee. With this kit, a sorcerer could get 4 AC or lower without even wearing AC boosting items... I tried to balance it out by spreading the bonus across multiple levels, but it might need some work.
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    I'd stick with the canon alignment restrictions: any evil or any chaotic. Chaotic good warlock types are kind of interesting.
    I modified the alignment "disadvantage" to match the official warlock alignments per @Rhaella's suggestion. I also included the description of Eldritch Chain, which seemed to be left out before.
    I went and did some preliminary work on getting the kit in the game. Aside from the description not having any flavor text, it works in-game now. Thing is, it's currently just a renamed sorcerer without the special abilities.

On a related note, are there any good tutorials on making SPL files? More importantly, is there anything in the abilities and disadvantages that CAN'T be implemented somehow?
    Alright, I have the "level 1" version of all the abilities and spells except for restricting spell usage. Thing is, none of the passive abilities work properly when I apply them... the game crashes during chargen. Anyone know why this might happen?

If I can get the passives to work and find the opcode for restricting spells, I should be able to release a BGEE version of this mod (up to level 9) pretty soon, then figure out the HLA table for modded BGEE and BG2EE.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2013
    Sounds good, I would like to see some meele options for this Kit, but maybe this would make it overpowered. (like this: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Hideous_Blow)

Would it be possible to get more uses (from Eldritch Blast) and make it a range touch attack ?
    (maybe like the Melf Metorites or something like it)
    @Darkersun: If I figure out how to make weapon-summoning spells like Spiritual Hammer, I could potentially make a warlock-themed wizard spell that works a bit like Hideous Blow. Which reminds me... I should probably recreate some of the non-eldritch blast invocations as spells. That way I can balance them as spells rather than figure out where to put them in the Warlock progression (the downside being that I don't know how to limit these to Warlock-only spells...) First I want to get the kit itself working, though... after that I'll look into making a few invocations into spells for warlocks to use their scant two spells a day per level for.
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24

@Darkersun: If I figure out how to make weapon-summoning spells like Spiritual Hammer, I could potentially make a warlock-themed wizard spell that works a bit like Hideous Blow. Which reminds me... I should probably recreate some of the non-eldritch blast invocations as spells. That way I can balance them as spells rather than figure out where to put them in the Warlock progression (the downside being that I don't know how to limit these to Warlock-only spells...) First I want to get the kit itself working, though... after that I'll look into making a few invocations into spells for warlocks to use their scant two spells a day per level for.

Having no experience with modding whatsoever, I just want to point out that the Wild Mage has a few arcane spells that are restricted to that kit. Perhaps you can look into how that was done in order to see how to do it?

I like the idea of the kit, and I think that making a lot of the abilities into kit-restricted spells instead would make the Warlock kit a bit more balanced. Anyways, great work and I look forward to seeing the finished product :)

edited March 2013
    I finally got passives to work, but I don't know what the original problem was (I ended up modifying an existing passive spell for each of the effects). Now the AC bonus and spells seem to be working (though the spells are backward at the moment... not a disadvantage to have bonus spells!), though I don't know enough about lore to know if that's working yet. Now I should be able to just work on modifying the kit abilities to fit the description, which shouldn't be too hard (though it will be time-consuming...)

@Morvian: I looked into the wildmage bonus spells, and it looks like that kit has a special spell restriction (each alignment axis and mage school has a restriction, and the wild mage is a special case restriction). So without modifying the way the game runs (probably hardcoded), I think only innate spells can be resitrcted to a kit. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure how else to restrict spells.

Edit: As it turns out, "can use negative numbers" doesn't mean "and have them work opposite to positive numbers". While trying to change the number of spells per day for the sorcerer, both -1 and +1 give the lv1 sorcerer 4 spells per day (up from 3). It's getting annoying for everything to be going so well just to break on hardcoded barriers...
  • Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    Taking away spell slots works just fine, there is nothing tricky there. Unfortunately I don't have time now to look at the opcodes and give you any useful pointers, but it's doable with opcode 42 and negative numbers. You are doing something wrong if it doesn't work for you.
    edited March 2013
    @Kwiat_W: If you figure out anything, I would appreciate a pointer on how to fix this weird problem. According to the description, having Spell Level = 1 and Slot Amount Modifier = -1 should do the trick for lowering spells per day by one...

Edit: On the "invocations as spells" front, perhaps it is possible to limit the spells to warlocks. I accidentally forgot to set a certain ability as innate, and it appeared in the mage book instead of being granted as a single-use ability. The spell still ended up showing up in the innate cast button, but that's because the UI the spell is cast from was set to innate. So perhaps I can eventually repurpose some invocations that aren't already represented as spells into new spells for warlocks only...
    Post edited by Jackkel_Dragon on
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Are you trying to keep Invocations as at-will powers? If so, maybe they'd work better as some kind of custom item?

Something like a Rod of Blasphemy which worked as a ranged weapon for your Eldritch Blasts, usable only by Warlocks, unlimited ammo, with a cool projectile animation -- and your kit effects would target the rod, leveling up its damage.

The Rod could gain up to three different "abilities" as you level up, so you'd have the base blast, then some other ones as options -- maybe use the invisible creature dialog trick to allow the PC to choose a new ability at 6th and 12th levels, or something. If the PC chooses "Eldritch Glaive", then he gets a Rod which functions as a melee weapon.
  • zadkielmodelerzadkielmodeler Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013
    @Jackkel_Dragon
    I do not recall Warlocks having an AC bonus but I am sure they did get damage resistances and BG already has a built in resistances system. Though I am not sure what useful conversions would be since in 3.5 he shrugs off 1 point and that gets better later on. You might have to do like a 5% resist all, then later a 10% resist all. Then towards the end a 15% resist all. They did get a solid lore bonus that is correct.

As for how to do the powers. I would not give him any spells. They would all be special abilities with 99 uses per day or something like that .I would give him the same armor proficiency as the bard.

Actually if it were me I would do him as a bard subclass because that way you have the weapon proficiency and armor and lore and 1d6 HD all built in.

If you ever get this up and running I would be glad to test it for you.
  • zadkielmodelerzadkielmodeler Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2013
    I hope that helps.
    @Nifft: The rod being used as a method of casting Eldritch Blast seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure I have a strong enough grasp of what I'm already trying to do to attempt working an item into the kit design... I'll keep it in mind though.

@zadkielmodeler: I'll keep the AC/resistance thing in mind... AC is one of the few abilities I've gotten fully working so far so I'm not keen on dropping it, but if I find a way to add resistance to weapon damage I'll look into that.

When it comes to the warlock powers like Eldritch Blast, I want to keep them at the current power level to make them more useful than just a free casting of an existing spell, but at the same time having a spell that can do 2d6+9d3 damage per hit at nearly unlimited casting is just a recipe for overpoweredness. That's part of why I limited the Eldritch Blast so sharply: keep it powerful enough to be a viable and interesting option, keep it limited enough to not become a win spell. It would be more true to the 3.xE warlock to weaken the power and give it more uses, but I felt it was an acceptable compromise to make the featured ability of the kit powerful.

Your point about the Bard as a base class makes a lot of sense, especially when it comes to staying true to the 3.xE warlock. I'm not sure I want to change gears this far in (I came up with this idea from trying to make a sorcerer kit), but I should probably make a Bard version down the line that comes closer to the 3.xE warlock class... I could even re-use some abilities like the energy resistance, so it wouldn't be like making a whole new kit.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @Jackkel_Dragon - I'm probably in the same boat as you, in terms of learning kit design. :-)

There's a kit I downloaded called "Tiger Style Monk" which puts the Monk's abilities in a Staff item. Might be useful to you, it's where I got the idea.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited April 2013
    The difficulty is implementing special spell pool for warlock...

My idea of implementing warlock would be...

Advantage:
    - can cast unlimited amount of spells (well, 99) per day with an exception of level 9 (6 per day)
    - TACH0 bonus of +1 at levels 7, 13, 21
    - HP bonus of +2 per level until level 10
    - melee resistance bonus of 1% every 4 levels starting from level 3
    - energy resistance of 5% every 10 levels starting from level 10
    - can wear elven chain mail such as Bladesinger +4

Disadvantage:
    - can only learn 2 spells per level.
    - Spell caster level progresses at one-tenth the rate of Sorcerer and caps at level 3. For example, Horrid Wilting cast by level 30 Warlock would cause 3d8 damage, save vs. spell for half. Fireball cast by level 20 Warlock would only inflict 2d6 fire damage, save vs. spell for half. Haste cast by level 20 Warlock would only last 5 rounds instead of 23 rounds. Lower resistance cast by level 20 Warlock would only lower magic resistance by 12% instead of 30%. Level 20 Warlock would only receive 2 stone skins instead of 10. (I'm not sure how one would implemented lowered spell caster level though, perhaps one can add such effect via SPL file under class ability table?) However, Warlock's spell caster level cap will not apply to level 9 and 10 spells (easily done by editing SPL files).

Warlock would start really good (virtually unlimited magic missile at level 1 is way over the top) but by the time Sorcerer reaches level 9 Sorcerer will own Warlock because in a single round level 9 Warlock would only launch 1 magic missile while level 9 Sorcerer would hurl 5 missiles. Warlock is about low but sustained damage over time (akin to warrior dealing magic damage), augmented by limited melee and elemental resistance, a bit of TACH0 and HP bonuses and that she can wear elven chains for better AC while sorcerer is about inflicting maximum amount of damage in a shortest possible time.
    Post edited by leeho730 on
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Cool idea. :]
    I've been too busy to work on the kit this week, but I thought I'd comment on @leeho730 's idea real quick.

While the idea of the warlock being like a warrior that inflicts magic damage fits with the original 3.xE concept of the class, I feel like it'd be very unbalanced in Baldur's Gate... it would be just too powerful to have that many spells for levels 1-4 (especially if a spell like sleep was picked). Then after a certain level, the warlock would be nearly useless compared to a warrior that dealt similar damage per round, as a warrior could auto-attack instead of re-selecting a spell every round (although I suppose area spells might keep the warlock slightly relevant). I also don't know if it's possible to make the effective spell level lower than the class level... the SPL files seem to only base changing effects on the class level of the caster, with not much in the way of changing anything on a per-kit basis. While your idea probably could work, it would probably have to do away with existing spells and use new, weaker versions of the spells the warlock could use.

For now, I'll work on the version I initially presented until that is working and can be released as a beta... after that I'll go over the other ideas in this thread and see if I can come up with alternate versions of the kit. (To be honest, I'm actually starting to regret having picked an existing class name for what amounts to a new kit, even if the class was the inspiration for my idea.)
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Actually in some aspect it's extremely cheesy.... Imagine unlimited casting of protection from magic weapon.... Spam lower resistance, maze, finger of death, delayed blast fireball (fixed 15d6 fire damage), improved haste, true sight... And with improved alarcrity, items such as Robe of Vecna and amulet of power and of course micromanagement (i.e. pressing spacebar at APM of 300), one can spam so much in 3 rounds.... Imagine a poor dragon hit with 15 finger of death in just 3 rounds...
    Editing SPL files are relatively easy, one simply have to add level 1/2/3 equivalent onto the SPL... But I definitely agree with you on controlling effective spell casting level... Wild mage seems to manage that (+-5 spellcasting level) but I'm afraid such feature is hard-coded....
  • terror13terror13 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2015
    Hey remember, the warlocks passive Damage Reduction/Cold Iron that goes to max 13DR/CR (stronger when you get fiendish heritage) *ISN'T* in the form of AC if anything AC is far too weak its MENT to be replicating the fiends immunity to mundane and magic wepaons (only +2 and above can hurt you)

So you want to add immunity to normal weapons and magical +2 at least, and since that damage reduction also applies to magic damage, so about a 15% magic resistance also that goes up to say 20-25% later levels, though you should have the immunity to normal weapons, magic+2 and above weapons pretty early just passive, its damn strong but thats what warlocks got going for them due to their lack of versatility.

ALso what makes warlock cool is the infinite spells, eldritch blast doesnt seem too op, early its weaker than magic missile and seems to be just a really trong magic missile later on by what you've written, you should just make it infinite, and if u dunno how just add like 1000 uses or something, its hardly op at all, but im also fine with it being finite, just really for lore integrity really.

Secondly I feel what really makes warlock cool as I said above is how you are directly above mundane creatures with the immunity to mundane and lower magic weapons and lastly some of the other cooler abilities like word of changing, dark discorporealation (in table top its like dark mist form)

+ devour magic (Like infinite breach and dispell) and lastly chilling tentacles are all the cool ones, for chilling tentacles u could just put in cloud kill, but infinite use and change the animation effect, you probely don't even gotta make one, gotta be a tentacle or two in the games models somewhere.

There is a few more spells but most of them arnt too interesting, thats all u really gotta add to make a cool, fun, interesting and powerful warlock class, that with the stuff u already mentioned except the AC reduction replacing that with the immunity to mundane and magical weapons +2
  • marcialhdmarcialhd Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2016
    please please continue with the warlock kit, since i learned about the 3.5 edition warlocks i wanted to play as one in baldur's gate and your idea is the most similiar thing to it that i have found, i really hope that you release it one day.