Skip to content

Who is Michael Hoenig?

MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
Ok, we have had many of these discussions over at Bioware forums, etc... But I can´t help myself, every time I listen to BG music, the question pops up.

Is he some kind of music magician? He never did any videogame soundtrack. Also he has never made medieval/fanatsy music I know of and yet he made soundtrack for this game, soundtrack, which wasn´t beat by any other fantasy game/movie(at least for me and all my friends who play games).

Yes, there is Jeremy Soule who made some briliant work with Icewind Dale or Elder Scrolls, but he also made music for Neverwinter Nights, which I think wasn´t that good. There is also Inon Zur, who made great work with Throne of Bhaal music, but for example Dragon Age didn´t immerse me. But every single piece Hoenig produced for BG has brilliant feeling to it, it´s own story and atmosphere.

All that leads me to one question. How did Bioware find him/convinced him to make music for BG? It would be great if Trent could answer us this question.
tevatenu

Comments

• aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    Fafhrd is the password to the thieves guild
    WinthalDragonspear
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    Fafhrd is a barbarian
    WinthalThe_New_RomanceDragonspear
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @aXidal @Daedalus87m You are both correct :) Another interesting fact with regards to the passwords to the thieves guild, one of the options is actually "Bodhi", and when you meet the Centreol creature in cloakwood, she mentions Jon Irenicus (who apparently made her that way)... very, very subtle foreshadowing at work there ;-)
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    @Winthal I'm sure you know this but in the original game Centeol says Jon Icarus, Irenicus was only added in later by tutu and trilogy and if im not mistaken the password is "bodi" but again tutu/trilogy might have changed that too.
    @Winthal I'm sure you know this but in the original game Centeol says Jon Icarus, Irenicus was only added in later by tutu and trilogy and if im not mistaken the password is "bodi" but again tutu/trilogy might have changed that too.
    Yes true, they aren't the exact names, but too similar to be coincidence ;)

Spjuv3rnDragonspear
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Jon Icarus is an angel who had his wings confiscated and was cast out from the heavens by Puffy the Cloud King for trying to steal all the cream cakes for himself.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I don't know many works from Michael Hoenig but he has my respect for what he did in BG. Hope to see more from him.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Well well, looks like this discussion got interesting direction :) There´s another question. How Fafhrd was created. I guess just like that. Fafhrd!
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    edited July 2012
    @Winthal don't tell lies man...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hoenig

He is a german composer. :P

dang, you must have made your check vs. my bluff

Spjuv3rnKharadorDragonspear
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited July 2012
    @Winthal

dang, you must have made your check vs. my bluff

Well player with that 'Text-only medium of communication' bluff bonus, sir, but that can do nothing against the Lore bonus of the Internet Hivemind Database.
  • mrbuzzkillmrbuzzkill Member Posts: 1
    The same question has bothered me for a while. It's as though such a talented composer never got the chance to do any more music for any other games. However, that makes the BG series even more special. A never duplicated combination of unique art, music, programming.
    The_New_Romance
  • StarlyghtStarlyght Member Posts: 1
    That name "Michael Hoenig" gives me the shivers. It's like he appeared out of thin air and by some dark magic, conjured up some of the most beautiful and memorable RPG music of all-time and then went back to the shadows to live in recluse. I wish he would come back...
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    Departure from the Northern Wasteland is an absolute classic in the space music / electronic music pioneering era.