Skip to content

[Bug] Gaps of silence between lines

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
Current Behaviour:

When clicking on CHARNAME, depending on the number of lines they have for that particular action, there is a gap between their last and their first (THIS IS ONLY A PROBLEM FOR THE ORIGINAL BG1 VOICESETS. The BG2 voicesets have more lines).

This also happens with some NPCs (as in non recruitable NPCs, when you right click on them to hear their lines).

Expected Behaviour:

When a character voices their last line, their next should be their first. This gap between lines may be due to the 'Easter Egg' lines given to NPCs (party members). As CHARNAME does not have these lines, there has to be a gap between voiced dialogue to compensate.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    The "gap" that seems to occur "between" sounds may very well be simply a voice slot which comes up randomly with all the other voice slots for Command sounds or Action sounds but which lacks a sound assigned to it. If you look at Minsc's Sounds in BG1 in Near Infinity you'll see how not all of the slots have a [MINSC XX] assigned to them. While #23 (the usual designation for the SELECT_RARE sound)- "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, watch it! I'm huge!"- is given the name SELECT_RARE, his "Squeaky wheel gets the kick" shows up as Unknown... and there are many Unknown slots, some of which contain no sound file. So it's likely that the blank we get is one of those unfilled slots cycling through.

In BGEE, however, it seems all the "SELECT" selection or action sounds are organized very neatly for the NPCs, so it's very easy to see that there are 3 unassigned SELECT_COMMON (Command) sounds. In-game this could mean that even with the "Always" checked for Command sounds, you'll still get "blanks" when clicking on the NPC... But... BGEE is smarter than BG1. ;-)

The other thing that BG1 has is static cycling of the sounds, so those "gap" sounds would occur as you said- always after the last assigned sound and then return to the first. Now the click-on-NPC sounds are random just like the click-on-ground-to-move-NPC sounds... which keeps it interesting. ;-)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    @Bhryaen Sounds good to me. I assumed that because EasyTutu added voicesets which had many extra lines than the original voicesets, this created gaps in those original voicesets to compensate.

IIRC there are no gaps in vanilla BG1, or vanilla BG2, but when you use EasyTutu the originals operate under the assumption there are more lines than actually exist and therefore have blankss.

Thanks for clearing this up Bhryaen! :D
    Hm, this one seems fixed as well...
    Erm... actually I wasn't testing the right thing... Seems those gaps are there... *puts it in-process*