Skip to content

Retail boxes of EE games

Word up,

Are the cd-keys provided in the retail boxes of BG1+2EE and IWDEE steam-keys, or can you install and run the games straight from the disc?

Comments

• doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    As the lucky owner of both BG EE games on DVD I can tell you can install them directly on any PC. I have only installed them on one but I believe they work as any other PC game and can be installed on multiple computers.

So you don't need any keys, codes or other to install and play. It's perfect when no network is present.

And they work perfectly. There is the normal amount of freezing and minor bugs but nothing ruining the games. At least as long as I remember to save often and let's face it that is something a lot of us seem to forget.
    [Deleted User]dunbarJuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited June 2015
    I can confirm what @doggy has said. I've also got BG1 & 2 EE on DVD and have installed them straight from the disc onto my PC and onto an external hard drive (not that I'm paranoid or anything but I really, really don't trust computers!).
    JuliusBorisov
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    doggy said:

As the lucky owner of both BG EE games on DVD I can tell you can install them directly on any PC. I have only installed them on one but I believe they work as any other PC game and can be installed on multiple computers.

So you don't need any keys, codes or other to install and play. It's perfect when no network is present.

And they work perfectly. There is the normal amount of freezing and minor bugs but nothing ruining the games. At least as long as I remember to save often and let's face it that is something a lot of us seem to forget.

That's great! How do you update those btw? As I recall, I didn't find any servers hosting patches for manual download, and with Beamdog client or Steam client it updates it automatically.

JuliusBorisov
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    It has an update button and even a buy more content button. Both are still greyed out.

I got BG EE 1 in March I think and soa/tob in May. Apparently no updates are needed yet. And again it runs perfect on my common non-gaming PC with windows 8. something latest update.

It seems as though the patches are part of the product. I can check the box later to see if it says anything about what version of the game it contains if you need it.
    JuliusBorisov
    *bump*

For some reason there are plenty ofphysical BG2:EEs and IWD:EEs still out there, even at Finnish retailers, but absolutely no BG1:EEs anywhere. I've been looking for one that isn't the German version and that has the English covers, but to no avail. There is one crazy costly one at Amazon.co.uk (which I can't afford atm), none at Amazon.com, and the ones on eBay are all German versions or have Italian ccovers. Is Beamdog planning on reprinting some more BG1:EEs anytime in the near future, or am I just completely out of luck?

P.S. I noticed that the publisher for the current print BG2:EE and IWD:EE versions is Raven's Court, but with the sold-out BG1:EEs it was Deep Silver. My question is: were BG2:EE and IWD:EE originally on Deep Silver aswell? And if yes, then how come printing of BG1:EE isn't continued at Raven's Court the way the other two still are?
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited September 2016
    we have 8 boxes of the bg1 disks on a shelf for some reason... i guess your best bet is to find us at events or watch our streams. I have no idea how often those things happen though.
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    JuliusBorisov
  • DyaraDyara Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2016
    Ghamarro said:

P.S. I noticed that the publisher for the current print BG2:EE and IWD:EE versions is Raven's Court, but with the sold-out BG1:EEs it was Deep Silver. My question is: were BG2:EE and IWD:EE originally on Deep Silver aswell? And if yes, then how come printing of BG1:EE isn't continued at Raven's Court the way the other two still are?

Both Deep Silver label (since 2002) and Ravenscourt label (recently?) belong to Koch Media.

https://www.kochmedia.com/en/games/self-publishing/

Seems for some reason BG/IWD was moved to Ravenscourt.
    SethDavis said:

we have 8 boxes of the bg1 disks on a shelf for some reason... i guess your best bet is to find us at events or watch out streams. I have no idea how often those things happen though.

Would you be willing to straight up sell me one? Through eBay for example?