Skip to content

Building Tempus Thales for D&D 5th edition

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
I've got the whim of making a character like Tempus Thales, the villain protagonist/anti-hero from the series of Thieves World with 5e rules. Sadly the only well argued thing about the character i've found is this episode of Counter Monkey.(which should tell you how little know Thieves World is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKgmhmEtgx4

I think of making him a lawful evil fighter(battlemaster archetype) with some levels in cleric since he gets his superhuman abilities from her goddess.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2016
    Why not just Blackguard? It's a Fighter with some Cleric and Tempus Thales is human.
    Blackguards serve Evil gods as well as fiends.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Archaos said:

Why not just Blackguard? It's a Fighter with some Cleric and Tempus Thales is human.
    Blackguards serve Evil gods as well as fiends.

There are no blackguards in 5e, but there is the ''oathbreaker paladin'' in the Dungeon Master's guide.

But it should also be noted that 5e paladins don't have the same alignment restrictions of the previous editions.

edited April 2016
    How about starting with 8 levels of Battlemaster fighter and then switching to a Oath of Vengeance paladin?
    BTW, these are Tempus stats from the Thieves World rpg.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Countermonkey is where I heard about Tempus Thales too.
  • mylaminokimylaminoki Member Posts: 1
    Challenge accepted. I've been wanting to bring this universe to 5e for a while now. Still working out the kinks but it's getting there.

First, tempus isn't a paladin, he's a cleric with swords. Second, he's more the likely a cross of a war priest and champion fighter, and hes 40th lvl, 20 in cleric and 20th is fighter. it's insane i know, but well see if that works or at least i can do some things to tweek it. still very early, i'll be updating this in a few weeks and seeing how i can get it done. Any feedback would be awesome.

Challenge accepted. I've been wanting to bring this universe to 5e for a while now. Still working out the kinks but it's getting there.

First, tempus isn't a paladin, he's a cleric with swords. Second, he's more the likely a cross of a war priest and champion fighter, and hes 40th lvl, 20 in cleric and 20th is fighter. it's insane i know, but well see if that works or at least i can do some things to tweek it. still very early, i'll be updating this in a few weeks and seeing how i can get it done. Any feedback would be awesome.

Thank you!