Skip to content

How to start creating NPC companion mods?

Hey there!

I am interested in trying out modding with the BG games. But have no idea where to start.

I have some modding knowledge - I have created a bunch of custom classes in Darkest Dungeon, and I have done several companion packs for Skyrim (I am responsible for the FF companion mods).

So my main question is where do I start? I am interested in creating/adding new companion mods.

Any direction would be appreciated :)

Comments

• GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    If you have design experience and just need to learn the technology, I'd say you should go through WeiDU documentation and dissect how WeiDU works in practice by taking a look at existing mods similar to what you want to accomplish. You might also want to learn to use DLTCEP efficiently, as it an extremely helpful toolset, especially when you are prototyping.

Others may do things differently, though. I don't really mind.

• scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Cool thanks for the info.

Modding BG might be beyond my scope of ability. Darkest Dungeon is extremely easy to mod - and Skyrim had the creation kit.

So I was hoping there might be tools similar that people use for Infinity engine games.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Also check out Kulyok's Branwen mod if you want to make NPCs. It does a pretty good job of explaining the necessary files and structure, and everything else that you need to do.
    God
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Kulyok's Branwen is good, but this modding guide is also great, comprehensive and takes a step-by-step process. Branwen is better if you're looking for specific scripts for dialogue and the like.
    God
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Very nice, thanks for the help. I may take a gander at these this weekend and see if I was to give it a try.