Skip to content

Rank BG companions from strongest to weakest

If you were to determine the STR score of each Baldur's Gate companion based on story elements (gameplay and balance are to be completely ignored in this thread), how would you do it?

If these ability scores were determined by story elements, I don't think, for example, a seasoned dwarven mercenary captain such as Kagain would have the same STR score as a cowardly blackmailing scoundrel like Eldoth.

I want to see what others think.

So here's a poll where you can rank BG companions from strongest to weakest: Link

Don't feel that you have to tie some companions because there are only so many numbers between 3 and 18 (or 25). If you think one character is stronger than the other in the story, rank him/her above the other.

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Minsc must be a strong contender for first place. He literally bends bars in BG2.

Alora for last place?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Sarevok can lift a man off of the ground with one arm - while said dude is wearing armor as well. So that's quite the feat of strength as well - though I would assume bending steel bars is indeed more difficult - unless the steel bars were not actually steel bars or were made with steel from the sword coast!
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited September 2016
    Yeah definitely Sarevok.

Sarevok pushes the guy through a steel fence on the roof as well, not sure if that's quite as sturdy as the bars Minsc bended though^^
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    edited September 2016
    Minsc bending bars somehow makes him stronger than Wilson who apparently couldn't bend his bars
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well remember when minsc started bending those steel bars, he had to use his "berserker strength" and while minsc uses that ability his STR goes up by 2 points, which in retrospect would make him stronger than sarevok would be at that exact time
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    sarevok57 said:

well remember when minsc started bending those steel bars, he had to use his "berserker strength" and while minsc uses that ability his STR goes up by 2 points, which in retrospect would make him stronger than sarevok would be at that exact time

I think that in this thread we can only make speculations based on story and not on pure stats, otherwise Dorn would be stronger than both...
    I agree with Gallenger, Sarevok seems stronger than Minsc
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Imo Minsk having a rage ability is an integral part of the story, related to that issue, while the rage ability of Korgan is not related to the story, but only to gameplay, so not relevant for this topic.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2016
    Nihilus said:

If you were to determine the STR score of each Baldur's Gate companion based on story elements (gameplay and balance are to be completely ignored in this thread), how would you do it?

If these ability scores were determined by story elements, I don't think, for example, a seasoned dwarven mercenary captain such as Kagain would have the same STR score as a cowardly blackmailing scoundrel like Eldoth.

I want to see what others think.

So here's a poll where you can rank BG companions from strongest to weakest: Link

Don't feel that you have to tie some companions because there are only so many numbers between 3 and 18 (or 25). If you think one character is stronger than the other in the story, rank him/her above the other.

The strength scores actually show the NPC strengths pretty well.

[b]BG1[/b]

(edit) Dorn (Str19) Thanks to Daevelon for catching that.

(1) Minsc (Str 18/93) A rasheman berserker, specialized in swinging around a greatsword, while shouting battle cries? Yeah, he's the number 1 spot.

(2) Shar-Teel (Str 18/53) I think that she does deserve to be #2. If for no other reason than her anger. She has a serious chip on her shoulder, certainly fights angry, and acts like she has something to prove. How can you not see someone like that swinging with everything they've got?

(3) Kivan (18/12) He is a ranger who fights with a halberd (basically a greataxe and spear mixed together) and a longbow. Both of these take some serious strength to wield.

(4) Ajantis (Str 17) A paladin who wears full plate, carries a shield, and uses a bastard sword in one hand. He damn well should be strong.

(5) Kagain (Str 16) A dwarven mercenary and warrior. Fights in heavy armor, with axe and shield. You'd need to be pretty strong for that line of work/fighting style.

(6) Yeslick (Str 16) A dwarven warrior/cleric of Clanggedin. Like Kagain, he fights with hammer, shield and heavy armor. He is also a smith. That says strength. But as he is a priest who has spent an undetermined amount of time as a slave, who is beaten and locked up when you find him...I'd say that Kagain edges him out.

(7) Jaheira (Str 15) A fighter/druid who swings either clubs or a quarterstaff against her foes. Both require alot of blunt force.

(8) Khalid (Str 15) A merchant turned fighter, trained by militia. Uses a sword (requires more skill than brute strenght like a club would). Certainly needs to be strong for his vocation, but probably not as strong as his wife.

(9) Montarion (Str 16)

(10) Eldoth (Str 16)

I see their strength score taking into account their skill. Eldoth having skill with a blade (and poison! which I think factors into it) and Montarion being a creepy little halfling who probably knows just where to stick a dagger for maximum amount of pain/damage.

(11) Xzar (Str 14) He's crazy. Crazy strength is crazy.

(12) Coran (Str 14) He's an archer and a swordsman. But I can see him being outwrestled by a crazy Xzar.

(13) Branswen (Str 13) A cleric of Tempus, who swings around a hammer or mace. This puts her above the other Str 13 NPCs.

And from there is descends into strength 13 and below. All of them could be interchangeable when it comes to their ranking for the same strength score. Otherwise they just go down the line, all the way to poor weak Alora.
    Post edited by Grum on
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Looking just at the stat score Dorn has 19... so he is the first
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Judging from story and not stats , Minsc and Sarevok are the strongest ones!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I'm not sure people realize just how physically strong a fully grown bear is.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Actually, Hexxat has the highest STR score in the saga, which bothers me a bit. I mean sure, vampires are obviously going to be stronger than normal humans on average, but Hexxat isn't even a warrior, she is just a rogue. She never gives an impression of a person who would mop the floor with Dorn, Minsc or Sarevok in a wrestling match. If it were left to me, I'd give her the highest DEX score (which she already has), but a STR score that's only above average for a thief, like 17 or 18.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Nihilus said:

Actually, Hexxat has the highest STR score in the saga, which bothers me a bit. I mean sure, vampires are obviously going to be stronger than normal humans on average, but Hexxat isn't even a warrior, she is just a rogue. She never gives an impression of a person who would mop the floor with Dorn, Minsc or Sarevok in a wrestling match. If it were left to me, I'd give her the highest DEX score (which she already has), but a STR score that's only above average for a thief, like 17 or 18.

Without crazy stats why take a non kit thief? I mean, with the cloak you get to see her average strength. Take it off and see her crazy supernatural strength. Seems legit
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Grum said:

Without crazy stats why take a non kit thief?

You are talking about balance between companions, which is to be ignored in this thread.