Skip to content

Seeking unique class for full play through.

Greetings! New to BG, D&D and the forums.

I have a fair grasp on the mechanics of the game thusfar. I did a speed run and beat the first BGEE as a cavalier with a party of four on the easiest settings to get the hang of things. I have also done tons of research on the forums so I have an idea of the outline of my goal character.

I would really like to dig in now. I want to enjoy the game to it's fullest with a completionist run from one to three as the same character. I have a few odd but unmoving stipulations, but am otherwise open to suggested classes with a brief explanation why!

- I want to play an elf or half-elf, human as a last resort. I like the sprites the best and will have to look at them for quite a while.
- I don't hate robes, but I prefer the look of leather and chain armor.
- No dual classing, multi-classing sounds fun though. I have weighed the pros and cons and dual is not for me.

Unique classes. I really want to play a well rounded character that I likely won't see much of in NPCs. I enjoy adding and dropping party members, and being self sufficient in-between. I don't want the best or strongest class; but not gimped either. I want diverse gameplay that stays fresh, but still presents a challenge. I have considered Beast Master, Avenger, Bard of some sort, or a F/T/M thusfar.

Thank you in advance to any suggestions or responses I receive!!!

[ playing on android tablet, cannot mod]

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    F/M/T was my favorite way to run for a long time. It gives you the most options for interacting with the game, you can literally do everything but heal yourself. You will level a little slow, but will always be viable for almost any role. You wont get level 9 spells with a F/M/T but you really wont need them. Multiclasses get more high level abilites as well, due to how many levels you will have.
    Multiclasses are super fun no matter what anyway, giving you more options without the downtime of dual classing. Ranger Cleric is another favorite of mine (half elf exclusive too). Ultimate self buff melee machine of death. An argument can be made for Fighter/Cleric instead, but Ranger has more flavor :smiley:
    Out of your given list though, Bard would be my second choice. Its basically a F/M/T light with super fast level progression. High lore means that by level 5 you won't really need any identify spells. Pickpocketing that increases with level means your thief can focus on other skills, and the arcane spells makes the Bard one of the best secondary/utility casters. I prefer the Blade kit personally, you take a hit to lore (still higher than any non bard class) and pickpocket, but you gain two amazing abilites to compensate, allowing for cazy burst damage or the single best ac tank in the game.
  • XavantXavant Member Posts: 11
    I roll with a Bard. He's a lot of fun and keeps the story flow smooth and interesting! :)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    You want a unique class? Shaman. Pure and simple. Decent spells, decent combat ability, studded leather armor, dancing like a fool, and can be a half-elf. Easy-ish stats to roll, all you really need are your physical stats, your mental stats have no bearing on your character.

I have played Avenger Druids a few times, it's a more mage-y Druid, pretty good spell caster (and why the heck don't druids get Web normally?) Direct combat is a little tougher, you're pretty much stuck with slings, since your Strength and Constitution take a hit. Though at least now they fixed it, your max is decreased when you're rolling your stats, rather than having the stat decreased later.

Bard is good, especially if you do a non-Blade bard. Jester can be a lot of fun, even if its song isn't the greatest, because the first moment you start hitting a lot of mooks with confusion is a great moment. Skald's not too bad, a bit better in a straight-up fight than the other non-Blade bards, and a good song to use until you get the HLA.

I have no experience with the Beast Master Ranger, and I give no thoughts to the Fighter/Thief/Mage. It took a lot for me to break out of my class purist ways to really enjoy the Cleric/Thief and Cleric/Illusionists, I'm not gonna push it much farther.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    @Rosx what is unique class in your meaning ? What playstyle you search for, what abilities are you want to ?
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    I just got through BG1 as a gnome Fighter/Illusionist and I had a LOT of fun. It's not unique in the sense that I think it's a very popular multiclass to play on these forums, but I don't know of any NPCs that have this dual class. I've heard that if you go Elf then you want to focus on long bows at first to play to your strengths and then dual wield later. I basically played as a weaker fighter for the first few levels, but had a lot of fun playing as a fighter that could self buff with protection from evil, blurr, mirror image, etc, and eventually getting stoneskin which made me way tankier than Minsc or Khalid.

I was wearing armor the whole time except when buffing myself (or identifying items) but alternatively you can have your PC on the back line dishing out spells and still doing tons of good damage with bows. I personally want to try F/M/T or F/M/C or F/C or F/T on my next play through. I love multiclass because I feel like I get to experience more of the game at once.

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. I've only played through BG1 once (however I didn't speed run. I explored and tried to do everything I possibly could) and haven't touched BG2 yet (maybe tonight!). I thought I would want to start over as a different character to go through the whole series (although I'm on the fence on whether I want to boycott SoD or not), but after playing my F/I through BG1, I'm really excited to get in to BG2 as I plan to be even more versatile in the way I play and really make full use of both classes.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Peldin But SOD is great! :(
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I advise for a Fighter/Thief, my favourite character. Detect illusion and backstab are great, Traps are overpowered. You will not need another character for open locks and disarm traps, you will get the thac0 progression of a fighter. You can't go wrong with this class
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    Maybe after I play through BG2 I will consider it. I know chronologically I should play SoD before BG2, but I figure most of you probably played BG1 -> BG2 first (and probably multiple multiple times) before SoD was ever released. So I'd like to just pretend that I'm just 15 years behind you guys. Although I'll probably try out SoD before 2030 :wink:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RosxRosx Member Posts: 6
    A big thank you for all the responses! I mixed and matched the tips I received, came up with this guy:

~Pocorin~

Chaotic Neutral
    Illusionist/Thief

Str 12
    Dex 18
    Con 15
    Int 19
    Wis 12
    Cha 18

Quarterstaff +
    Two-Handed Style +
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Dexterity like that, you should've started with a shortbow, but I clearly see another gnome, and as I'm going through the series now with a gnomish Cleric/Thief, I approve.
  • RosxRosx Member Posts: 6

Dexterity like that, you should've started with a shortbow, but I clearly see another gnome, and as I'm going through the series now with a gnomish Cleric/Thief, I approve.

I will be sure to make that my next weapon prof, so I have a ranged and melee covered. Thanks!
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    Idk, I think you should go for a Monk. I recently started a monk run. The beginning is quite slow, have to admit it. But he gets quite decent resistances and ac for himself. This class is a little sidestep from the traditional fighters/mages/thieves. And the bare knuckle fighting feels quite fresh!
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    So something unique, is something that not the main most favourable classes ?
    Non-blade bard is something different, not warrior not mage and not rogue, just a complete different, you rely on wands, amulets, your little magic etc.
    Another is stalker, backstab, stealth minor spells is so different than a warrior.
    Or try some support class, really nobody plays pure cleric kits, like priest of helm, but imagine a general, who stand behind her warriors and suck enemies with cc, and fight melee if needed.
    Monk is another good challenge, and not the typical warrior front liner feeling if play right way.
    Wild mage is awesome if you like the randomness and ultimate raw power from a mage, you need tactic and thinking about encounters not only use melee powers as other classes like fighter mage.
    And bounty hunter, who rely traps and backstab.

So there are lots of interesting classes, that not the main fighter-mage, cleric-ranger, cavalier, swasbuckler-mage, kensai-thief or mage.
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    Another rarely played class would be the Wizard Slayer. There is the obvious cheese in going evil Wizard Slayer -> dual to thief -> Use Any Item -> Holy Avenger + Human Flesh Armor, but if you go straight Wizard Slayer it could provide an interesting challenge.

Played through a bit today with a few pips in Daggers. Throwing Daggers get you 2 attacks per round (with STR bonus), and regular daggers make sure you hit first in a round, so hitting those mages quick before they can get a spell off is not a problem. Makes Silke on Legacy of Bhaal a heck of a lot easier. No lightning bolts to ruin your party's life lol.

I'll eventually get the Dagger of Venom to really put on the hurt. Going into BG 2 you have a few great options for returnable throwing daggers. Sure, Daggers don't have the damage output of longswords or greatswords in the long run, but the primary focus of the Wizard Slayer is to take out the Wizards, first and foremost.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    A Fighter/Cleric can be pretty fun depending how you like your weapons. You can do a nice job buffing yourself up well and don't have to worry about what armor you can wear since you can cast all the spells you want in the best armor. If you plan on running a Good Aligned character/party a Fighter/Cleric would be pretty cool, though I think the Cavalier you played is overall the best on that front cus the Paladin kits are pretty awesome with their natural abilities while the Clerics rely on spell memorization.

If you wanted to try something unique, it's something that would involve dual classing which you said doesn't seem like your thing. But you could start off as a Cleric kit since none of them have any downside, then dual class in the first game to Fighter while retaining some of your special Cleric kit abilities. It wouldn't be too hard to dual class at Cleric level 6 or so as a kit, then get your old abilities back at Fighter level 7. This would allow you to get mastery in weapons while a multiclass would only allow you up to specialization in a single weapon. Also when you dual class, you keep your old hit point total, so the only thing that would be low when transitioning over to a Fighter would be your THACO which can be offset a bit by good equipment. You just have to stick with blunt weapons but there are plenty of good melee blunt weapons, and slings aren't too bad if you have a high Strength which provides a damage bonus with slings.

If a dual class is still something you don't want to do with a Human, then a Fighter/Cleric or something like a Half Elf Bard are the things I'd go for if looking to try something different. They're good in support and best in larger parties, and a Half Elf I know for sure can be either of those classes.