Skip to content

D&D Game sale on GOG.com; help me pick what to buy!

PakarRhoyPakarRhoy Member Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
So, I'm saving my money primarily for BG:EE when it comes out, but even though I hear Baldur's Gate is the best, I've always wanted to try some of the other games out there.

Well, gog.com is having a sale on D&D games, and I want to buy one, but I'm not sure which one will be the best. The choices I'm thinking of are IWD, IWD2 or NWN. I kinda like the sound of the multiplayer on NWN, but I'm not sure how popular it is or if most people play #2, and I've also heard that while not multiplayer, the IWD games are great also.

What would y'all recommend? There are a couple other titles too, but I already have BG2, I'm obviously not gonna buy BG1, and the others don't sound as appealing to me (I'm sure Planescape is great, but I just don't want to try it right now; perhaps in a few months).

Comments

• MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    It depends on what you liked the most on BG. Both NWN and IWD are more just combat oriented without fancy side quests or lots of deep stories. I would prefer IWD because it has better audiovisual settings and you can control the whole party, while in NWN you have just some sidekick. If you look for something with deeper singleplayer, than Planescape or even NWN 2 would be more suitable.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    IWD is good. Though IWD2 is not that great IMO.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I loved IWD2. It's the only legitimately challenging IE game. You can't get ungodly armor class at low levels, and you can't get ungodly rolls to make your guys perfect like you can with IWD1 and both BG titles. There are significantly less cheesy things you can do in the game to overwhelm the enemies.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2012
    Neverwinter Night's multiplayer is still pretty popular. Arguably, more popular than NWN2 last I checked according to the numbers. I just got out of a game playing online today, and many servers and worlds are still active. The OC isn't all that spectacular, but the expansions are great. The hundreds if not thousands of custom modules available extends the playability of the game and some are beautifully written. If I had to choose, I'd choose NWN over the IWD series. Luckily though, they are all pretty cheap at gog.com, so it's worthwhile to pick them all up.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    @sandmannCCL I just found it to be really tedious at times. Sure, the battles were fun to some degree, but I never really found there to be enough of a reason why I was constantly fighting all these enemies. Now granted I only ever got to a little while after the ice temple (I still have the save so I can play it) but from what I have played of it I found Icewind Dale 1 to have a more compelling storyline. Yea I know the IWD series is more about the battles than the storyline, but it still helps to have a compelling one.

That said @PakarRhoy you should still consider checking it out.
    DinsdalePiranha
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    @elminster Pick the game up and keep going..the ice temple was tedious and IMO the game really picked up after that. IWD2 is a great game..
    DinsdalePiranha
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    ...Darn, I came here to recommend Torment.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513

Dungeons & Dragons Deal

Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1-2, Icewind Dale 1-2, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Dragonshard, Demon Stone for $21.41
    (6 hours left)
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    Ill tell you what to get, EVERYTHING except Dragonshard and Demonstone. Unless you like Dragonshard. DON'T get Demonstone *shudder*
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    From what I see you loose a lot of the discount if you don't get everything.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419

I loved IWD2. It's the only legitimately challenging IE game. You can't get ungodly armor class at low levels, and you can't get ungodly rolls to make your guys perfect like you can with IWD1 and both BG titles. There are significantly less cheesy things you can do in the game to overwhelm the enemies.

instead, you can get a drow monk(1)/cleric to tank, with two sorcerers in the back, bait everything to you, then go Nagasaki on their asses, while resisting/evading every one of your own spells, because sorcerers tend to walk around with enough armaments to level a whole town, and spell resistance/evasion can make you pretty much invulnerable to 'em.

however, this fighting style truly is entertaining as hell :D

@elminster: agreed, IWD1's story was pretty good, and it actually made sense... in IWD2 you're just going from place to place without any decent explanation (seriously), but the first installment has had a driving point even if you played a neutral/evil party: not freezing to death in a little icy hellhole.

though I have to agree with @pkloop: do continue it, it's a really great game.

@PakarRhoy: if you're ready for a tactical challenge (and I do mean challenge, the game really makes you work for your victory), pick up Temple of Elemental Evil. it's turn based, follows the rules very strictly, has the best UI and combat I've ever seen, and tends to casually bitchslap you all the way to nine hells. it's ridiculously fun.
    Sily
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136

Ill tell you what to get, EVERYTHING except Dragonshard and Demonstone. Unless you like Dragonshard. DON'T get Demonstone *shudder*

I resent that. Nobody could resist being the Drizzt for 5 mins awesomeness.
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    baldur's gate series and Planescape: Torment. others are not worth your time especially IWD. I found that series extremely underwhelming and never actually finished those games. if you want other good RPGs from GOG, pick up Arcanum, Fallout 2, also Might & Magic 7.