Skip to content

BG1 -> BG2 -> SOD ooorrrrr.... BG1 -> SOD -> BG2

I realize that chronologically I should play SOD before BG2. However, this is my first time playing. I just completed BG1 recently and I just bought both SOD and BG2. 99% of BG fans played BG2 before SOD because... 15 years...

I'm curious if I should follow what everyone else has done, or if I would enjoy my first play through by going in to SOD before taking a look at BG2.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I would play SOD before BG2, it foreshadows several things nicely, answers a few small plot holes, has a good story/great antagonist, and the extra exp for doing it gives you a nice boost before BG2 without trivialising it.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I think SoD would feel pretty odd played straight after ToB. The reduction in levels alone would be off-putting to me.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    Interesting responses. I've been really looking forward to BG2 because of some mild spoilers I've exposed myself to, and it seems that, a majority of people like BG2 more than BG1 (or at least a majority of posts I've read concerning that topic).

I guess I'll be loading up SOD tonight instead of BG2. I've done a little bit of research as far as looking at what carries over from BG1 to BG2 but I haven't done any of that for BG1 -> SOD or from SOD -> BG2 so I guess I now have a little mini project to research before I get off work :)
    ThacoBell
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2016
    SoD isn't going to be as long of a campaign as BG1 so it won't take you that long to get to BG2. SoD is intended to be around 25 hours of game play I believe.
    RAM021
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it feels like it's only 12 hours. beam dog may have exaggerated the length. just as bioware had for jade empire and da awakening.
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    Well last night I sat down and started SOD. Got through Chapter 1 but that's it. So far, I will say that one thing I didn't like, was that the UI changed. I'm having to re-adjust from some things I got used to when I just had BG1.

Also,
    losing Imoen as my only thief kinda sucked and I assume all her gear is still on her. Yes, I got Safana, but I couldn't open that chest behidn Korlaxz that has the second part of a quest item to put that spirit back to rest. I even tried bashing it with 22 strength. No dice. I almost want to start over and when Safana levels up, put her points in to picking locks instead of getting 100 in Find Traps. I also kinda want to start over and put all of Imoen's gear in my inventory so I can give it to Safana. The only reason I didn't is because the fights were kinda easy for me anyway.
    cbarker15
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Peldin said:

Well last night I sat down and started SOD. Got through Chapter 1 but that's it. So far, I will say that one thing I didn't like, was that the UI changed. I'm having to re-adjust from some things I got used to when I just had BG1.

Also,

losing Imoen as my only thief kinda sucked and I assume all her gear is still on her. Yes, I got Safana, but I couldn't open that chest behidn Korlaxz that has the second part of a quest item to put that spirit back to rest. I even tried bashing it with 22 strength. No dice. I almost want to start over and when Safana levels up, put her points in to picking locks instead of getting 100 in Find Traps. I also kinda want to start over and put all of Imoen's gear in my inventory so I can give it to Safana. The only reason I didn't is because the fights were kinda easy for me anyway.
    There is a chest with Imoen's gear in it next to your room in the Ducal palace.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    25 hours or no, SOD does take some time to get through. You won't finish it in a day or a sitting by any means.