Skip to content

Hardest fight in the game... (Heavy Spoilers)

CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
I'm currently on my first LoB difficulty play through, and have cleared up to Suldanesselar, and have cleared Watchers Keep (WK). I understand WK should be considered ToB material but the devs made it accessible in SoA, so I always clear as much as I can until there's an obvious gear or skill check. I hit the Maze level when my 6 person party just started to get HLAs, and I consider Tahazzar's (antimagic) room to be the hardest fight in the game (SoA at least). Underdark Elder Orb was annoying, Kangaax, Saladrex (dragon) and the demilich were very tricky, Demogoron was cake.

What are your tactics for Tahazzar's room (other than potions, wands and spell contingencies)?

What do you all consider to be your hardest battle (ToB included)?
Post edited by CARV3R on

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The hardest battle vastly depends on your team and how you restrain yourself.
    For example, a solo mage would not have any trouble, once high-level enough, to deal with Twisted Rune without baiting them one by one, while a full party who did the same amount of quest but thus has less XP per character would struggle.
    One battle I really struggle with everytime (stil have not passed it with LoB) is the one in the clearing during Neera's quest.
  • CARV3RCARV3R Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 23
    edited October 2016
    My group makeup:
    CHARENAME: Archer (Range)
    Crom Faeyr/Shield Wiz Slayer
    Carsomyr Paladin
    Xbow Thief (Range)
    Mage (Edwin)
    Dragon Disciple Sorc

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    None of them really, but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to prebuffing andd invonving my whole party, and I tend to have 4/6 of the group lazing about until the active pair are too hurt or depleted of abilities.

I found the underdark beholders a challenge. Had the atweaks enhanced beholders installed, with the SCSII AI scripts. My way of beating them was a bit cheesy, but the whole group got involved. My blade would use invisibility radius to keep everyone hidden, and the cleric would gate in skeleton warriors and baalors behind imoen who would ADHW packs of 5-6 beholders. she weakened groupds to injured and badly injured, and my hasted invisible group would flank them and finish them off. A lot of my people needed to be raised from the dead. If the beholders aren't wiped or almost wiped in the first few seconds, then they'll probably win.

Firkraag, and black dragon were both very tough too. Needed a few high level skeleton warriors, charges from the rod of resurrection and lots, and lots of potions of healing. The dragons could kill in just 2-3 hits. The mages couldn't get a break from removing defenses.

Twisted rune was the other tough fight. Like all tough fights, skeleton warriors were involved, attacking the twisted rune fighter in sight of the lich. The rest of my group focused on taking out the cleric and vampire as fast as possible. With that done, my mages used sequencers to make the beholder vulnerable. My paladin has carsomyr and 70% MR, so both mages were fairly easily dealt with. In the end my cleric needed to be freed from imprisonment, and three others were dead or disabled.

I'm sure the twisted rune fight could have gone a lot better for me, but as I told you I'm lazy.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @CARV3R are we talking in general, each one according on the game he uses (you LoB, unavailable atweaks and SCSII, I Tactics mod, other maybe vanilla, SR. IR, some of the @subtledoctor mods), or the topic is explicitly referred to your setup?
    With the mods I use I would say the "Russians" in the first dungeon of SoA, the shattered one (final battle of SoA), the acid kensai, the red badge, the Eclipse battle. Tor Gal and the temple ruins can also be very hard at low levels. Also the final battle with Bodhi is crazy difficult if you have Soulafein in the party.

For Tahazzar's room dropping anyone but a mage, of the 2 you have, giving to him stoneskin, mirror immages, blurr, improved invisibility, spell immunity abiuration and divination, tenser and the best str enhancer item + SoTM and to yourself invisibility potions is a very easy, and cheap, tactic. Cheap but not cheesy as the invisibility effect is intended, is not an exploit or abuse.
    Is also possible without abusing the SoTM invisibility, but I suppose not in LOB, tthe mage's protections and buffs would not last enough long.
    Remain hidden while he kills everything with physical damage. Some resistance against fear and possible disabilng effects is also needed.

Using the best potions and ALL the items that have summons and other x day effects is also useful. there is a staff that give a no save domination that works on almost anything a couple of bosses excluded.
    Less cheap but cheesy imo, as using a rod that is supposed to be used to rise dead people as a way of having a fast complete healing is an exploit, is cheese, is not what the rod was created for.
    @gorgonzola Thank you so much, that was exactly for the kind of advice I was looking for.

And yes, I would like to hear stories about which encounters personally (mods included) frustrated everyone.
    I forgot the encounter that in absolute was the most frustrating for me, kangaxx.
    I begun to play at the beginning of the millennium, with no internet connection, so relying only on what I could discover from my gaming. No clue that a certain enchantment of weapons was needed, I realized that good weapons could not hit him, but I was convinced that only +5 could, so in my pre ToB version, only 2 weapons. And I never realized that also MMM are weapons with high enchantment, I regarded them as spells, and he is immune to the spells that pre ToB make available. I missed also the fact that some rare scrolls and a spell make you safe.
    Every run I did try, after obtaining the pally sword and assembling the hammer, with no success. Manu, many reloads.
    Until I managed to put 2 summons between him and hasted Keldorn and Anomen and kill him before he had time to imprison the only 2 chars able to hit him.
    AND I DISCOVERED THE RING!!!!!!! :smiley: I had no clue of its existence.

Nowadays thinking of that make me smile, but it was my personal quest at that time, and it took me months to complete it.
    Knowledge is power, and I did not had it.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Was pre-EE Kangaxx imune to the Mace of Disruption? I rarely get that far into the game these days (get too busy, and difficult to pick up a game again mid-play) but don't remember following a Kangaxx guide. Last time I took him down, it was effectively a solo effort by Minsc with the MoD and improved haste - 8 saves/round. I looks like the first form was immune to disruption though, and went down to the rapid damage - the mace counting as higher than +2 for purpose of striking undead.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nope, there is no save or immunity for the mace of disruptions instant kill effect.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

Was pre-EE Kangaxx imune to the Mace of Disruption? I rarely get that far into the game these days (get too busy, and difficult to pick up a game again mid-play) but don't remember following a Kangaxx guide. Last time I took him down, it was effectively a solo effort by Minsc with the MoD and improved haste - 8 saves/round. I looks like the first form was immune to disruption though, and went down to the rapid damage - the mace counting as higher than +2 for purpose of striking undead.

I believe that pre-EE, MoD would hit as +2, and +4 once improved, and now it's +3/+5 which means Kangaxx was already immune to the MoD, but not to the improved version
    The damage yes, but the instant kill I'm pretty sure still went through.
    @GreenWarlock @thedamages @Arunsun
    But I told that I was wrongly convinced that only +5 weapons was useful against him, my presumption was based on seeing that the good weapons, like CF katana and FoA, could not hit him. I had available also a staff, a spear, 2 halberds and a short bow that hit as +4, what was lacking was the knowledge, not the weapons.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157

Nope, there is no save or immunity for the mace of disruptions instant kill effect.

There is a save for it.
    True, a save at -4.
    And at least in not EE, I still have to find it in EE, no in game clue that it hits as +4, the in game description states only that upgrading it give the immunity to level drain, set the damage against undeads as 2d6+4 instead the 1d6+2 of the not upgraded, but never tells of a better enchantment.
    In not EE is only possible to know that it hits demiliches trying something that the manual and in game description let know (wrongly) that don't work against them.

True, a save at -4.
    And at least in not EE, I still have to find it in EE, no in game clue that it hits as +4, the in game description states only that upgrading it give the immunity to level drain, set the damage against undeads as 2d6+4 instead the 1d6+2 of the not upgraded, but never tells of a better enchantment.
    In not EE is only possible to know that it hits demiliches trying something that the manual and in game description let know (wrongly) that don't work against them.

I stand corrected, its a tough save though.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I also had out-of-game knowledge that the Mace of Disruption was one of the classic 1st Edition magic items, and was the ultimate anti-undead weapon - so I was going to try it regardless of the consequences.

One of the really satisfying things about BG2, as a long-time AD&D player at the time, was the shear quantity of classic D&D (pre-forgotten realms) lore invested in the game. MoD was just one example, along with the wand of wonder, the deck of many things, the holy avenger, the robes of the magi (and Vecna!), ioun stones, characters building their own keep on reaching 'named' levels, staff of power, bag of holding, machine of Lum the Mad, silver sword of the githyanki, etc. These all predate the forgotten realms, never mind Baldur's Gate. I really only missed the portable hole, and the 10" pole.
    The portable hole sounds like it could some absolutely delightful mischief.
    @ GreenWarlock from the in game description is not so evident that it is, as there is an other item that grants immunity to level drain, I was convinced that the axe was, the ultimate anti vampire, as you can have a mlee tank with the amulet and a ranged with the axe, few runs I did upgrade the mace. Knowing what is the enchantment needed for each undead, and each enemy, and having correct description of the items, and not wrong ones, with not reported hidden effects, would have lead me to different decisions.
    Also in EE things are not much better, afaik there is no table of enemies and their immunities and still hidden effects in the descriptions.
    Finally got Draconis down on LoB difficulty, what a pain in the ass, so much kiting, took about an hour of party wipes.
  • RelSundanRelSundan Member Posts: 918
    For me, it was the first ambush in SoA. I was illprepared and My game is heavily SCS modded. I sat for like 20 minutes but to no avail. There were only jaheira and Jan to accompany My PC at that time, and I had to get more spells/wands effects fired off in a round than I was able to. Only 2 potions of invisibility. The enemies saves were insane, litterly nothing worked. I gave up and missed their loot.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    The most difficult fights are the ambushes early in the game, either while travelling or by vampires at night. You can run into some vampire encounters pretty early and if you don't have good weapons yet you just have to watch as one NPC after another gets level drained to death.

As far as late game fights in SoA I'll have to go with that party of adventurers that ambushes you in the under dark, they always give me trouble.

Haven't finished ToB in years but I seem to remember the Ravager being really hard as well as one of the groups that spawns from Demogorgon's seals. If you don't buff up like a madman beforehand you're gonna have a bad time.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    To me, draconis never fails to ultimately frustrate me ... No matter what party I have, they never have the recipe against him ...
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited October 2016
    I was 12 when I first played baldurs gate, and every fight was difficult for me. I suppose all the bounty hunters from friendly arm inn to cloakwood gave me the most trouble. I was semi-competent (but still with a far from optimized group probably) at the game by the time I reached baldurs gate, so the iron throne party and sarevok were probably the least difficult fights of the lot.
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    Kangaxx, hands down. Freakishly hard fight which caused me many, many hours of grief. I don't actually consider it a 'fun' fight, and I enjoy a challenge (I love the the Demi lich battle in watchers keep for example, solo-ing with juggernaut Aerie wielding Crom-Faeyr+Rune Hammer).

The first game... Hmm... Funnily enough I think it would have to be the dwarven guardians in Durlag's tower, you know the ones that are guarding the son's tomb? They caused me a heck of a lot of aggro on my first playthrough, to the point that I had to trek all the way back to the friendly arm inn and take a load of potions from Joia's house (which I used as a storage locker for my adventuring loot).

TOB... On my first ever playthrough, I found Sendai absolutely brutal, but again I enjoy that fight. I just hate Kangaxx...

Baldurs Gate aside, the only other fight I consistently don't enjoy is the end boss in Icewind Dale. Two words: Rage Quit.
  • moparmanmoparman Member Posts: 46
    By far it's the demogorgon at the bottom of Watcher's Keep. Kangaxx is a push over if you cast a protection from magic spell on each member of your party. Not so with demon buddy.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Generally, I reckon the Guardians of the Final Seal on the 5th level of WK are the toughest battle, since (in my experience, YMMV) they need more tactical planning than anyone else.

For most other battles (including dragons, Demogorgon, the Five, etc.), I find that a few buffs, maybe a summon or two, and then just charge head-on, will usually work fine. With a few (e.g. Kangaxx, of course), special tactics are needed, but it's quite easy once you know how. With the Final Guardians, however, I often find it a comparatively tough fight even after careful preparation.
  • 7Vikks7Vikks Member Posts: 14
    Amelyssan, not for any valid reason, but the "no resting" thing in the realm she was in and the "flee every 2 seconds and send 200000000 demons to fight you" made her a pain to fight. She herself goes down easy enough once you bypass her defences. Demogorgon comes close with the constant spamming of Glabreszu, they were harder than the Demogorgon itself, as by the time I killed it there were about 20 Glabreszu destroying my party, 3 out of 6 of them ended up dead and I had to use mass revival to get them up again, basically chugged potions throughout the fight.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I feel like party makeup and your knowledge of what you're up against are the biggest criteria, so custom monsters with weird abilities can throw you for a loop. For me, the heavily magic-based party I finished TOB with last had a devil of a time against the Ravager. We had only one Paladin to attack him, while those stupid Bone Blades kept disrupting spells through Stoneskin with cold damage. I had to pretty much constantly be casting Horrid Wilting and Holy Smites to keep their population under control while my tank was at work, and it took about five tries to pull it out.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    I used to have lots of issues with Gromnash and his mages/that one stealth guy with awesome armor.

The end fight of ToB can be rough too.

Sarevok without insta summon wands for the first time was a mess lol. As a kid I just swarmed him with adds but now its limited to 6.