Skip to content

Baldur's Gate "Evil Opposites"?

Early on in Baldur's Gate (depending on the direction you head), there are two pairs of characters you have the option of adding to your party.

One is Xzar and Montaron, a pair of evil aligned-characters. The other is Jaheira and Khalid, a pair of good-aligned characters. If you try to keep both pairs in your party, chances are they will eventually start fighting.

I always think of these pairs as opposites- basically you make a choice between the good pair and evil pair, whichever better suits your alignment and the story you're going for.

Would you describe Xzar and Montaron as the 'opposites' of Jaheira and Khalid? Discuss.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Their organizations aren't exactly good neighbors (Zentharim for Xzar and Montaron, Harpers for Khalid and Jaheira). I don't see them as opposite, but as people with a conflict of interest.

The only real opposite I see are Kagain and Yeslick / Kivan and Viconia.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    The Zhents and the Harpers have a long history of hating each other. The Harpers routinely ruin the Zhents' plans who then murder a bunch of the former in retaliation. Rinse and repeat for centuries.

I do think they're intended to be opposites as it's not the only point of difference. Jaheira and Khalid are a married couple who love each other very much. Xzar and Montaron are forced to work together, they aren't friends at all (despite the odd homoerotic subtext they have...) and can potentially attempt to kill each other.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I think that the most obvious opposites in the game are Edwin and Dynaheir.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I'd be more interested in deciding on the good opposite party to the final fight with Sarevok.

Thoughts?
  • Since Xzar and Montaron don't look like Khalid and Jaheira with goatees, I'm gonna have to say no on the "evil opposites" angle.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Wowo said:

I'd be more interested in deciding on the good opposite party to the final fight with Sarevok.

Thoughts?

As if it were a full hero vs nemesis battle?

I guess it would be sarevok vs charname, tazok vs kivan , angelo vs shar teel and semaj would face the other party members.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Wowo said:

Thoughts?

If you instead mean an evil opposite party to the "canon" one, then I'd suggest Safana (Imoen), Montaron (Khalid), Xzar (Jaheira), Edwin (Dynaheir), and Shar-Teel (Minsc).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    DJKajuru said:

Wowo said:

Thoughts?

As if it were a full hero vs nemesis battle?

I guess it would be sarevok vs charname, tazok vs kivan , angelo vs shar teel and semaj would face the other party members.
    Angelo vs Shar Teel
    Semaj vs Dynaheir
    Tazok vs Minsc
    Sarevok vs charname - have to a fighter type, probably with a shield to hold off the assault.

I wouldn't mind a mod to be able to fight Tomoko in that final battle if you screw up her quest, then Tomoko would be the evil opposite of charnames love interest.

I know Kivan fits there too but he isn't really opposite to Tazok and already killed him in the bandit camp.

Would be fun to orchestrate the battle such that everyone is fighting their evil opposite separately. Possibly with appropriate dialogue.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    are you telling me that xzar and montaron could kill each other

if yes, how?
    When?

and can the player stop the madness?
  • VoronaVorona Member Posts: 12
    I realize this is a few weeks old, but it made me think!

There are some other interesting ways to compare Montaron/Xzar and Khalid/Jaheira:

1. In both pairs, you have one multiclass and one pure class.
    2. The pure classed characters are a fighter vs. mage -- clearly opposites.
    3. The multiclassed characters are both fighters, but their other class is priest vs. thief -- also fairly opposite in the sense of both morality/faithfulness (being a priest of any sort involves faithfulness to a deity or nature, while a thief is, by nature, using trust against the target) and in the sense of mechanic (spell vs. no spell, and buffing/aiding vs. damaging/debuffing).

The only thing that *doesn't* fit is the gender. In one pair you have a man and a woman, and in the other, you have two men ... of course, you can always use the cursed girdle to fix that! I always sort of see Xzar as womanish anyway.