Skip to content

Ranged x Melee

So, I was trying IWD EE again after a long time. I really waste loooong times looking fornthat cool char portrait, that will fill the rp I have in mind for my party and all.

But I've noticed, at least for starting levels, that ranged characters do way better in combat, taking longer to die and being great at setting up ambushes and so on. Basically before my fightera get to the enemy, it exploded in a rain of arrows and flying knives.

Is there any drawback in just jeeping the party all ranged?

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Ranged is very strong in iwdee and if you include some characters that can summon monsters then an all ranged party is very viable.

All ranged party idea:
    - Assassin (Dart and Katana)
    - Archer (Longbow)
    - Skald (Throwing Axe)
    - Totemic Druid (Dart)
    - Illusionist/Cleric (MMM and Sling)
    - Bard (Crossbow)

Combining two bard songs, cleric buffs and wizard buffs will boost damage up nicely.
  • Armanz92Armanz92 Member Posts: 53
    Ranged characters are incredibly OP for like 95% of the game. That's why with the addition of EE Archers are just brutal. The only downfall is that most ranged weapons don't go above +2, so there's a few bosses that are immune to an all ranged party. *storms off to face the Iron Golems with my mighty Archer and never returns*
  • acolyteacolyte Member Posts: 36
    There's a number of creatures that are very resistant to missile damage. And sometimes there are enemies that can quickly close the distance. So you'll have to get at least a couple of characters who are also good at melee. And maybe have someone who's good at summoning too to act as meat shields.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Although ranged weapons rule in the game, there'll be moments where melee combat has its chance to shine, such as the skeleton armies in the Vale, ettins pushing against the wall, cultists in the 4th level of Dragon's eye ...
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I now have an all melee party, and it's all sorts of fun. Even the Dragon Desciple is joining in! With a ring of Str +1, she has str 19. with Tenser's transformation, the rest of the party can hardly keep up. It's a bit less hassle.

Berserker/Druid, Scimitar and shield
    Fighter/Cleric, Hammer and shield
    Fighter/Thief, twin flails
    Kensai/Mage, a case of swords
    Dragon Desciple, quarterstaff
    Bard, One handed axe (or two handed, or greatsword, or bastard sword, but currently one handed axe)
  • acolyteacolyte Member Posts: 36
    I kind of like the berserker druid. He's immune to poison at level 9 druid, handy for those few times you want to bash iron golems but too lazy to cast zone of sweet air or move away from the cloudkill poison. And he's got the berserker rage to avoid the few times that mages cast mind spells on him.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    acolyte said:

I kind of like the berserker druid. He's immune to poison at level 9 druid, handy for those few times you want to bash iron golems but too lazy to cast zone of sweet air or move away from the cloudkill poison. And he's got the berserker rage to avoid the few times that mages cast mind spells on him.

I also thought the combination made sense, starting out as a berserker and dualling a while after meeting the druid in Kuldahar. Killing stuff inside cloudkills is quite a boon, and druids have quite an awesome spell list in IWD.

I must try an all-divine party some time.

Druid (probably with berserker dual, since I like that), Cleric-Ranger, Monk, Paladin. Should be doable.