Skip to content

Just lost on making a Party for BG1EE Legacy of Bhaal

So I currently have a CHARNAME Neutral Good F/M/T on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty and I need help on a power-gamey party.

I know for sure that I definitely want Imoen who I will Dual to Mage but I'm just clueless on where else to go with the party, obviously I need a divine caster, but I'm not sure which out of Jaheria and Branwen.

My mind is so scattered! Someone suggest something please!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it depends on what your main guy is going to do, assuming that your charname is going to be a melee guy, I would probably go with the following:

Kivan:
    there's 2 great things about kivan, A- he has very good dexterity, and decent STR, so if you want, you can make him go melee ( every time I do this I skill him in scimitars and make him use drizzt's defender, great weapon/AC bonus, but on the flip side, you will have to kill drizzt to get it, so that has to be taken into account) but if not that, then maybe axe would be okay, and then B- he can be a pretty decent archer, again with that great dexterity and being an elf, and already coming with specialization is bow, he can start tearing it up in ranged combat with the composite longbow +1 ( which can be found in beregost) and thanks to his 18 STR he can actually use it, so there's that option

Khalid:
    Khalid is kind of luck luster a bit, but he is still pretty good, that 16 DEX isn't necessarily that great, but that is what the gauntlets of dexterity are for, and also with that 17 CON he has potential to have some good HP so he can take a few hits, but later on in the game when you have 4 proficiencies on longsword, you can swap out his gauntlets of dexterity and switch them for the gauntlets of ogre power, granted it makes his AC a little worse, but the mits of ogre power will give him a whopping +3 to hit, and +6 to damage, combined with high mastery and a longsword +2, he will actually be dishing out some solid damage, of if you want, Khalid can also go ranged, he can be a decent archer with mastery in bows, although he wont be able to use the composite longbow +1, he will be able to use deadshot +2 which is a pretty decent bow so you could go that route, depending on how many guys you want to be in melee, if it gets to the point where you only want your guy in melee, then having kivan and Khalid as back up archers could do you quite good, but again depending on how many melee chums you want

Branwan/(Yeslick):
    when it comes to a divine caster branwen in BG1 at least is better than jaheira because branwen has better party buffing spells than jaheira has, plus branwen can summon in skeleton warriors as a level 3 spell, and those skellies also get a bit of a boost from LoB mode, so that will be quite useful, jaheira's high point for when it comes to spell casting would be call woodland beings, because they have a great spell arsenal, only problem is, its a level 4 spell, so it will take a while to get it, plus the stat boost that LoB gives isn't really all that helpful for the woodland beings since they are more spellcaster heavy that combat heavy, so I would say, stick with branwen, but with that being said, I would say, stick with branwen until you meet up with yeslick at the end of chapter 4, and do a swapperoo, because of yeslick's fighter levels, he will get an extra attack per round and more to hit/to damage than branwen, although his cleric level only hits 7 ( unlike branwen who is going to hit 8) at the end of the day, you will still be happier with yeslick, and also givin the fact that if you can spare your mits of dexterity and give them to yeslick and give him kiel's buckler, he will have a killer 19 DEX which will make him rock with a sling ( in LoB ranged weapons are going to be your friend)

Imoen:
    as you say if you are going to dual her up, I would suggest giving her crowd control type spells, those are the spells that are going to rock in LoB mode, damaging spells are mere mosquito bites compared to the OUTRAGEOUS amount of HPs baddies will have ( for example: in the normal game kobolds have 4 HP, in LoB they have 92, while still only giving you 7 XP, tough times indeed) so you want spells like blindness, glitterdust, slow, hold person, emotion hopelessness, hold monster, greater malison, and the like, especially spells that give penalties to saves, you definitely want to memorize spells like those, like slow for example, beautiful spell, it comes with a -4 penalty to the save and makes enemies slower while giving them an AC penalty, and blindness as well, ( I believe it comes with a penalty, but don't remember if it does or not) but again, gives enemies a to hit penalty and an AC penalty very very useful, and then of coarse emotion and hold monster type spells, gives enemies 0 attacks per round and their AC is void, good stuff, and also remember as well, if im not mistaken all baddies get a +6 bonus to all their saves ( another reason why damaging spells are kind of a crap shoot because they will basically always make their save) but luckily, a lot of the crowd control type spells come with penalties, so that will be very nice

Xan:
    xan is going to be your MVP of LoB, because he is an enchanter, that makes it so every enchantment spell that he casts, the enemies will get another -2 penalty to the save, so if you cast spell like charm/ dire charm, domination you will have a better chance of it affecting baddies ( plus charming baddies is great because then those LoB can be on your team for a little while soaking up hits for yeah) and then he will eventually get to the really good stuff like emotion hopelessness ( which is basically a hold monster spell with a huge radius) and making his enemies save with a -2 penalty, hold monster which enemies will save with a -4 penalty, or if you like chaos more enemies will save with a killer -6 penalty, but I prefer the hold type spells ( hold person, emotion hopelessness, hold monster, and the like) because a held baddie is a dead baddie, so at all costs, get xan on your team start memorizing all those enchantment spells, and then start defecating all over your enemies, you will thank yourself later
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Unless you use the xp cap remover mode, I'm not sure that FMT is actually a particularly good choice for BG1EE since you wont get enough xp to be a useful mage, and your proficiencies and hp will suffer from the multiclass
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    A FMT in BG1 will not have lev9 spells (and also in BG2 :smile: ), but imo the putpose of it is not to be a powerful mage. He still have blur and other spells to lower his AC, find familiar to get better HP, so will have the best HP in the beginning, haste, mirror images.
    And the level/xp curve is not linear, he will have on average 1.5 levels less than a single class, 0.5 less than a 2 classes multi.
    He can be a really good tank, on top of the utility and dmg, if he uses his spells to buff and, as LoB battles are longer than vanilla ones, this can be an advantage.
    At the cost of buffing, than equipping a good armor and shield, he can tank for a certain number of rounds without taking any damage, the few hits that bypass his AC are taken by mirror images.
    Sure his backstab will not be useful, with kobolds with 90+ HP, but a thief is needed, with Imoen dualed early to mage also the thief part is useful to the party.
    A FMT will not have the best kill score, but imo is far from not useful.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    when I make FMT I make them archers, elves with 19 DEX at level one using a composite longbow +1 deals some decent damage with good attacks per round with some great to hit
  • GamergilbertGamergilbert Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2016
    I've also been entertaining the idea of just playing a fighter/illusionist(or is an elf a better choice?) or a fighter kit and dual-ing into a mage; and then developing Imoen's thief skills more before dualing her, but I'm not sure what's better for LoB mode. I'm also considering keeping the same character and playing through the whole saga with it on LoB too.
    Post edited by Gamergilbert on
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79
    edited October 2016
    I finished LoB with this party> http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/strategies/perfectpartysoa1.php Very strong and fun to play, because you would use so many good items with them. Also, since i have never played the famous f/m, it was interesting to compare berserker/mage vs kensai/mage

My bad, i see your plan is BG1 only, that party would be for whole saga
  • GamergilbertGamergilbert Member Posts: 5

My bad, i see your plan is BG1 only, that party would be for whole saga

Actually I think I am going to keep this character for the whole saga. I think I want to use the NPCs though, I dunno, there's a certain charm to the NPCs for me.

Also anyone with lots of experience with LoB mode, do you recommend I pick up my NPCs right away to get max HP rolls? Or is the free levels from soloing for a bit too much to pass?