Skip to content

Map pins in BGEE ?

ElysElys Member Posts: 100
Will Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition make much use of map pins like in Baldur's Gate II ?

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It will use the same engine, so yes.
    Will the maps in the game be supplied with pins placed there by the developers; nobody knows.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Custom button mapping will be in game.
  • ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    @Anton: Thanks for the link.

@Drugar: Yes that is what I'm interested to know, if places of interest will be already pinned.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Anton

I'm not sure he's talking about the same thing. Custom button mapping sounds like being able to customize hotkeys.
    @Tanthalas: Indeed but that' still good to know :p
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Tanthalas
    Right, my bad %)
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Hopefully they won't pre-mark quest destinations on the map like BGII, half the fun in BG is figuring out where to go...though I can see how this would disadvantage parties with a poor sense of direction.
    I like map pins that are masked until you discover the location.
    I certainly don't like map pins revealed before I discover them unless it makes sense like If i found a map scroll or something indicating the location.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    To be honest if they got rid of them in the BG2 EE I'd be thrilled. It would never happen I'm sure, but I will just keep deleting them anyways. Having to remember locations, and not always knowing where everything is, was one thing I liked about BG1 over BG2. Having them placed just seemed like unnecessary hand holding.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, this is one of those cases where I say:

"Honestly, remembering map locations isn't really what appeals to me in BG."

I have no problem with maps not coming with a single pin already, but please let me add my own references on the map.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Great minds think alike :)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I agree with @Tanthalas. Map pins are good, but I could manage through the first Baldur's Gate without them for several times and I don't feel the urge to have them now. If they add them, fine. If they don't, fine all the same. Having the option to add pins myself is great, just like any other thing that adds to the flexibility and cutomizability (if that's even a word) of the game.
  • DamageIncDamageInc Member Posts: 14
    I hope they do not put them in themselves but they make them very customizable and you are able to put a lot of condense notes. More need for explanation, less need to rely on the Journal (though I AM known for writing extensive user entries...)
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Well, I think this would be a nice optional component. When not turned on, no map notes other than those you add, when turned on, map notes are added to many areas after you've visited them. I could see this being useful in a few situations. Some people don't do one quest at a time, and collect all the quests in an area and then set out to do them. In some cases you'll come back to the game to finish a quest and then you'll have forgotten where it was issued, and your journal has only a name and no location... I guess it's not a big deal but having the map notes there shows how much of the city you've explored (which buildings you've been to, etc.) and obviously if it were optional you should still be able to delete/alter the notes once they show up.