Skip to content

How quick are script checks?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
How quickly does the AI run through triggers? Does it depend on CPU power? Do we have a general estimate for how long it takes to go over, say, 50 triggers? Does this ever cause a noticeable delay in the game? And what ways are there to speed up this checking? With a more sophisticated engine, like Neverwinter Nights' Aurora, I could put triggers in large nests of IF... THEN IF... to skip whole false-checking clusters.

Same question about spell effects. If I have 15 in a list, is this going to cause a delay? I know Minsc's berserking applies a long list of immunities and adjustments, and it doesn't seem slow in the game.

Finally, global effects of spells and spell abilities. Global effects, I know now, are what happens in the casting of the spell. I like to keep my abilities' speed at 0, but I'm worried that may be so fast as to interfere with the global effects, so I started putting speed 1 in abilities instead, something I would like to avoid.

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited October 2016
    Delay in scripts can take a second, if unlucky. Length doesn't really seem to affect it, though, it's something else that.

I like to keep my abilities' speed at 0, but I'm worried that may be so fast as to interfere with the global effects, so I started putting speed 1 in abilities instead, something I would like to avoid.

I forgot... There was something that would break with globals' timely application and zero casting speed, but years later I can't remember what it was.
    JuliusBorisov
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I wish you had forgotten it entirely. ;)