Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We need your feedback on the new forum text editor switch.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

How quick are script checks?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
How quickly does the AI run through triggers? Does it depend on CPU power? Do we have a general estimate for how long it takes to go over, say, 50 triggers? Does this ever cause a noticeable delay in the game? And what ways are there to speed up this checking? With a more sophisticated engine, like Neverwinter Nights' Aurora, I could put triggers in large nests of IF... THEN IF... to skip whole false-checking clusters.

Same question about spell effects. If I have 15 in a list, is this going to cause a delay? I know Minsc's berserking applies a long list of immunities and adjustments, and it doesn't seem slow in the game.

Finally, global effects of spells and spell abilities. Global effects, I know now, are what happens in the casting of the spell. I like to keep my abilities' speed at 0, but I'm worried that may be so fast as to interfere with the global effects, so I started putting speed 1 in abilities instead, something I would like to avoid.

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member, Developer Posts: 1,181
    edited October 2016
    Delay in scripts can take a second, if unlucky. Length doesn't really seem to affect it, though, it's something else that.

I like to keep my abilities' speed at 0, but I'm worried that may be so fast as to interfere with the global effects, so I started putting speed 1 in abilities instead, something I would like to avoid.

I forgot... There was something that would break with globals' timely application and zero casting speed, but years later I can't remember what it was.

JuliusBorisov
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I wish you had forgotten it entirely. ;)