Skip to content

It's good that they delayed the game.

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Yes it is good that they delayed the game. Although always reading this kind of news kind of strikes a dagger to my heart everytime I always remember to reason with myself that this is a very good thing! Frankly I felt they were rushing the game a bit when I posted about adding subraces in the game, especially drow and well when a developer posted that they will be bringing it out as dlc it kind of made me feel like they were rushing things a bit so this is great news that they decided to postpone it's release. It also gives me time to beat Neverwinter nights 2 and the icewind dale series before its release so good call!!!

Also with all the crazy amount of feature requests I have been reading for the game (All really great stuff btw ppl should read it!) I half-expected this to happen. Almost 1k feature requests and still climbing so I really look forward to the coming news about the stuff they might add IF they ever decide to post it. So for anyone who is pretty pissed that the game is delayed have no fear, for having an extra 2 months of developing is always a good thing for any game because it means they will be adding more stuff to it and will be fixing more problems that the game may currently be facing. Who knows, maybe they will add another version of "the black pits" or maybe some cool expansion. Maybe some more characters or storyline who knows but all we have to do is wait and see because I'm very excited to see what they bring to this amazing game.

Oh and beware to all you goodie goodies out there for once this game releases, my reign of terror begins so watch out for the dead treading upon the horizon for that shall signal the end of all things along the sword coast muahaha!!!

Comments

• tpowltpowl Member Posts: 35
    Seriously man...4 days prior to release date???
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    there should be a response button to indicate you are slowly stepping away from the poster with your hands in the air, making sure not to make any sudden movements.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Actually, I'm not happy! Not because of the delay, but because of when they decided to make it known. I find it impossible to believe that, just now, they decided that they are way far from meeting the target. This had to have been known for a little while, especially when the delay is not a small one.

Mad Panda.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Come on you guys had to see it coming! Yes I know it's kind of close in on the release date but remember that they are putting more stuff into the game as we speak! Which means alot more "free dlc" as it were that we don't have to pay for. And all the feature requests that people wanted like pvp, more subraces, cooler and better necromancer spells err..."mage spells" would take time to implement.

Since they delayed the game like this they have to make this game epic for if they don't they will have a riot on they're hands for a bad game. Although I'm sure it won't come to that as bg is after all a really great game. :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm not for making any excuses for the poor communications.

And I want justifiable customer anger to light a bonfire under them to produce amazing results.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    I feel so betrayed because they have my money. FOUR DAYS BEFORE RELEASE. Inexcusable. Who's to say that don't delay it again come November. So angry.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Agreed and I'm sure they will get that since they decided to postpone the game 4 days before it came it which broke the hearts of many loving fans of the genre. They will know to make 2 months worthile when they see complaints explode on they're forum pages which will no doubt force them to make the 2 month wait worth it soo...Customer anger please? :)
  • verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
    @xLegiox No, its not.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Had they informed us about delay *at least* week prior to original ship date, I could understand that. But doing so 4 days before ship? It's just wrong. I felt like I was slapped in the face... "Oh, you were making plans for 18th? You are waiting for that day? It would be the shame if something would go wrong...". Yeah, it's just a game, nowadays there is almost no games I'm looking forward to. And BG:EE is one of those.

And I doubt that simply "polishing" the game is going to take that long - but of course, 30 November 1998 was original BG1 release day, so I think that they're just guided by nostalgia. Dates are dates, they have no meaning, unless you give it to them.

I'm pessymist, I do not believe that the delay would result in 100% polished game with even more additional content that has been annouced already. I wouldn't mind being positively dissapointed by developers, thought chances for it are very slim.

And I doubt that simply "polishing" the game is going to take that long - but of course, 30 November 1998 was original BG1 release day, so I think that they're just guided by nostalgia.

No they're not.
    Why would game be delayed for so long? Any valid reason? Prove it.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    I think the 2.5 months long include a 'safety net' so there will be no more delays, one time may be excusable, a second delay and people wont be so forgiving. I dont see any reason to delay it for 2 weeks or even a month if there is the slightest chance they wont make it.

• Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    It`s not unheard off for people to put off admitting they need more time until the very last minute, and while i don`t like it, i can understand that it happens.
    And when i comes to the delay i`m happy to report that i have a rainbow coloured belt in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8

@ZelgadisGW : feel like proving why they don`t need that extra time?
    edited September 2012
    @Tr_ond
    No. I feel like hearing reasonable excuse for the delay, because for now there is none. Plus, fact remains that it is dissapointing. Also, it shouldn't be that hard to inform us little sooner.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Grimo88 said:

I feel so betrayed because they have my money. FOUR DAYS BEFORE RELEASE. Inexcusable. Who's to say that don't delay it again come November. So angry.

Go get your money back. Beamdog will quickly issue a refund if you want it.

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2012
    I don't think the delay is due to anything in the Feature Request subforum. Honestly, two thirds of the stuff there don't make sense, and the other third is probably prohibited by the contracts they have. I don't think there will be Drow, new necromancer spells, PVP, additional female-on-female romances, enhanced weapons and all the things you read there, not even on November 30th.

And you know what? I'm fine with that. I never thought they would add those ideas anyway. Still, it's disappointing to have the cake taken away from you when you were nearly there. I just don't believe this was due to Beamdog needing an additional month to put Sarevok on a horse in the opening scene (and I can't blame them either way).
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    The more polished the game, the better (like Blizzard does) I'm a patient person... but waiting for video games I'm excited about kills me xDDD (like Blizzard does).

I hope they give us the best Baldur's Gate experience as promised on release date :D.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Necdilzor said:

I hope they give us the best (Baldur's Gate) experience as promised on release date :D.

(like Blizzard does)

Munin said:

I'm 55. What if I die before November?

Paypal me gold and I promise I'll res you.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    Hey, all of my pissing and moaning about the delay got me a badge for some number of likes. That makes it all better!

Gotta figure out that sarcasm font thingy one of these days.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2012
    @xLegionx ... People have been giving money and trust to a company that not only fails to meet expectations, but do it in a really terrible manner. I wasn't annoyed before, but after reading how Trent Oster tries to joke away the whole situation on Twitter with some BS involving Penny Arcade, I'm beginning to wonder if he's taking things seriously.
  • LongtimerLongtimer Member Posts: 7
    OP, you're just being silly now.

NO, it's not 'good' it's being delayed, it may be acceptable to some, but it's certainly not 'good'.

Are you aware you just come off as some kind of corporate drone?
    @Tr_Ond
    His comments doesn't cover anything I'm concerned about.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Considering that it appears that they needed WotC's blessing to delay past the previously agreed upon date, I'm not so certain that Beamdog had much choice on the timing of this announcement.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Hey at least we will have few weeks to play before the end of the world (21 dec) right? :)
    I always prefer to play during winter time, long evenings... just puts me in better flavour for playing. But that just me trying to find a bright side of another FU**IN 2,5 MONTHS!! of waiting:(
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @xlegionx not to mention you can keep lying to yourself for nearly 2 months about your precious blackguards

man, i can't wait to stomp you.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173

@Tr_ond
    No. I feel like hearing reasonable excuse for the delay, because for now there is none.

Well, @TrentOster tweeted this today: "We still had way too many open bugs for launch. We're not smart enough to pull off some marketing master plan".

Days before the launch date, week before it, two weeks before it, makes no difference whatsoever. There are two issues with complaining about the timing of the announcement: 1) personal disappointment and 2) shortage of communication from Overhaul over the past couple of weeks. As for 1, we'd all still be disappointed regardless of the timing. As for 2, it's a fair complaint, but quite honestly I'm happier that the devs have been working their backsides off on squashing bugs than focusing on posting previews here. That said, since they now have more time for bug hunting, hopefully they will also keep us posted. Giving further info on Rasaad is a good start, I expect other new NPCs will get their stories out soon as well, and hopefully it won't stop there.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I heard a rumor that Noober now has a side-quest, but it's time-sensitive, and every five minutes he interrupts you to say, "Are you done yet?" and then "How about now?"