Skip to content

Baldur's Gate EE and NPC interactions, closure.

Hello fellows!
First post here, just finished the main campaign of BG 1 EE, played using only a few mods, did not wanted to change the game too much.

Mods I've used: NPC Project and Rogue Rebalancing (played as an Assassin).

My party was: Male Elven Assassin, Dorn, Kagain, Viconia, Shar-teel and Baeloth. (evil party, low reputation)
My character romanced Shar-teel with the addition by the mod and I have to say was a very nice touch to the game, I really liked the dialogues and interactions.

A few comments, and a question for better reasoning to start this topic:
Besides Dorn, I had the feeling in the middle to the end part of the game, that the npcs in my party got too silent, I had only a few banters, even the romance with Shar-teel using the mod did not have a feeling of closure. I really missed some dialogues towards the end like my character had with Dorn after you do his quest, and he turns into your "right hand frontline".

I don't know if there is a special reason for this, maybe my party was too mixed and with few personality conflicts between them? Maybe a bug using the mods or in the game itself that prevented some dialogues near the end?

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    some npcs have more banters then others in npc projeect. it seems alot of the evil npcs suffer the most. i remember an lp where they had kaigain and he barly spoke.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Seems to me all the dialogs, whoever created them, official in game and mods, BG and BG2, tend to get thin on the ground towards the end of the game.

I think most are initiated on a timer?
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited October 2016
    Obviously more could always be added to the mods - as a lot of new players who aren't used to more mute companions often feel that these older cRPGs are "cold" with mostly silent NPCS.

But it's actually a story-telling method all its own - silent companions let you create your own stories as you go along based on intuition and general feeling - that's why the characters are so emotive, and often stereotypes, when you first meet them - so you can inform that operative opinion. It's partially why I've not actually fiddled too much with the NPC project because I prefer for the BG cast to remain as I've sort of built them up over the years and not be changed by a third party. It's not necessarily a better or worse story telling method than very verbose companions like more modern RPGs - it's just a different taste.

A great example of this approach is dogmeat from fallout 1. Dog meat never says anything to you beyond "grr" and "woof", but boy do I feel awful if he dies during a playthrough. Plus, the story continues in additional games :D