Skip to content

F/C build

I should mention I'm playing classic, so I don't have anything strictly EE.

I'm planning a run with a multi F/C. It's a family only run, so just my sis and bro will be in the party, though I'll probably keep
Yoshi for as long as I can. Other NPCs would be just for quests. Since it's not an R/C, it's highly unlikely I can spend 30 seconds rolling and pretty much 18 in everything. So, I have to make some tough choices with my stats and can use some tips on what to put where. I'd like to avoid min maxing while still being effective.

I'm planning to SK in a kit, and am leaning towards Lathander with the concept being this deity/faith is instrumental in the PC reconciling his bhaal lineage. However, I'm also leaning towards a female dwarf, and I don't see dwarves as following Lathander. I mean, sure, anyone can worship any deity, but this is too much of a stretch for me. That being said, a halfling F/C of Lathander would be more reasonable in my mind.

I know a berserker is pretty boss with an F/C, but this character concept is more centered around faith than the warrior side. However, she does have to be damn good at holding the line as she is it until bro comes along.

So, how would you build such a character? Thanks.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Nothing particular comes to mind that would differentiate a Fighter/Lathander from regular Fighter/Cleric. You'd essentially do the same, you'd just be better at it due to the Lathander buff.

The same. But different. But still same-same.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    True, I just threw the Lathander thing in there for detail. I've never played a cleric before, and rarely have even had one in my party for BG2. I usually just use Jah for divine magic and that's it. So, general tips for a F/C considering the party composition would be appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure what to do about stat allocation. Ideally, I'd like something like 18/17/17/10/(min)12/9. That's 83 points. I'm not the kind of person who plans to roll forever to get what I want. I'll give it about 30 seconds, keep the best, and keep it moving. 83 is doable, but not a guarantee in that time frame. So, if I have to make sacrifices, where do I do that? I'm not sacrificing Int or Cha (and turning them into dump stats). And 12 Wis is bare minimum for a functional cleric. That leaves the physical stats. Lose the CON with HP and Shorty saves? DEX and sacrifice AC? STR and lose offensive power?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    STR and CON seem the most important if you're a Fighter and shorty. Next is probably WIS for a Cleric, as the extra spells are very nice to have. DEX I actually find not THAT necessary, as AC is somewhat deemphasized in BG2/ToB anyway. INT and CHA are the obvious dump stats with very little benefit (CHA is a non-stat in BG2 due to the Ring of Human influence, which gives you an automatic 18 CHA party leader whenever you may need it).

As for general F/C play, it's a buffed melee fighter. This works both offensively and defensively; the latter especially can work very well on an F/C as you can't use +APR offhands for maximum offensive power anyway (they're all swords). I like using a shield on F/C, but I do keep an offhand around to switch in as well. With Boon of Lathander you certainly have a tool to dish out some serious hurt, particularly when it stacks with itself for multiple +APR (I can't remember whether the EE fixed that, but that's obviously not relevant for you). Generally you buff with the staples (Protection from Evil + Draw upon Holy Might) and add in more as it becomes necessary/available. You can counter most detrimental effects with relative ease, and you have some serious damage potential with powerful spells like Righteous Magic.

Of course, offensive casting can be just as useful. Holy Word and Sunray are amazing against liches, while Firestorm can decimate entire packs of troublesome enemies like mind flayers (ignores magic resistance). And then there's an entire catalog of utility spells and disablers that you can use as you see fit and as the situation requires.

As for party setup, you can of course never really go wrong with a mage in BG2. Arcane spells are ludicrously powerful, and dispelling spell protections can be quite helpful in many spots. Thieves add convenience with Find Traps/Pick Lock, and that's basically all bases covered. But unless you plan on playing a high-difficulty run with SCS and mods like that, you can probably fairly safely focus on personal preference over metagaming concerns. An F/C is more than capable of handling anything on their own without any assistance whatsoever, so anything you pick up is just gravy.