Skip to content

Restartitis and consolitis wrecked my game.

I'll be back in a while.
Griboemf2112

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I used to have a bad case of restartitis, but for some odd reason, now adays, im not as afflicted by it as I used to be, it seems that I will do an entire play through from candlekeep all the way to the end of ToB, and then not play that game again for a few weeks, then do another full play through, and then not play the game again for another few weeks,

I think the reason why im finally healed from restartitis is because I find it too boring to restart a new game
    gorgonzolamf2112Aerakar[Deleted User]
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Randomizing stats (not completely, but enough to make it more interesting) and exploring different character concepts have helped me a lot towards the cure of restartitis . I'm not completely healed, though.
    gorgonzola
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    took 3 restarts [ only one was my fault] until i finished my first bg1 ee playthrough [ overall 2nd] thank god i did not suffer restartittis in bg2 as that always happens around sspellhold.
    sarevok57gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    As I am playing I am continuously wandering about new party compositions, but instead of starting again I continue and at the same time try to focalize what are the real things that I want to try next.
    When the final battle come I know what I want for the next run, that will be devoted to explore the new potential unlocked by my initial choices. Right now I know that I want to test the Cleric of Lathander11->Mage and an other couple of things, I still don't know if I will use Charname or a modded NPC (Aerie? illegal but fits with the character. Nalia? As noble an initial career as cleric is possible.).

When the time to start a new game comes I have more meat than enough to put on the fire...
    And as also the run that I am running has its things to demonstrate or prove wrong I get never bored.
    Well, this until mid ToB where some of my parties get lost in the sand of the desert, but this is not restartitis, is an other problem...
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Thank you all for your support!
    I think I'll start me a new game tomorrow or the day after, as soon as I decide on what I want my run to look like. Possibly something keepered and cheatsy, like a Fighter-Thief Multi, and Nalia and Imoen both changed into Fighter-Mage multis, but I'm still thinking on it.
    Anyway thanks so much for your friendly comments.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    What I do in these cases is doing a heavily personalized game. Last in date was playing with a character that would wield only cursed items. Not the terrible ones, but rather like claw of Kazgaroth, with pros and cons. Some are custom items I made for the occasion. Such a playthrough proves very enjoyable and I'm not affected by restartitis. Once it's completed I go back to my average playthrough and feel less bad about restarting over and over.
    gorgonzola
    That is a very nice idea. Unfortunately, I wouldnt be able to decide on what way to go and still get restartitis. Right now I'm thinking of doing a semi-solo run, meaning just the me-puppet and his sistress, and the occasional npc for quests. I'd have to cheat though, as I'm not very good at this game. Maybe I'll make both the me-puppet and Imoen Fighter-Mage-Assassins and limit the use of magic to well-defined purposes. That would be easy because I hardly use magic at all. Dunno why. Or I could do some tribute-type-thingy, like play an assassin and name him Teppic, along with Rincewind the wizard, and Cohen the Barbarian. I do suppose I'd have to ctrl-j the handmaiden in Ust Natha then. Hmm. Or Satyriasis the swashbuckler, and Nymphetamine the fighter-mage and Lustmord and Wargasm the stalkers, and Honey and Sulphur the archers, or something like that. Still thinking I suppose. Or I could make things really difficult and play core rules without cheating... nah. It's strange, I never had this kind of problem cheating through CIV I countless times. But I cant play that no more, so here we are.
    FinneousPJ

Or I could make things really difficult and play core rules without cheating... nah. It's strange, I never had this kind of problem cheating through CIV I countless times. But I cant play that no more, so here we are.

This game is very easily doable on core rules, no need to cheat at all. Once you have enough knowledge obviously, as is a really complex game, with a complex spell system and many tactical options, is a game that, with mods, can keep the interest alive for more than 15 years of playing, some of us play it from the beginning and have still fun.
    If you have problems to beat the game in core rules there is no shame, In my first run I had problems even in the easiest setting, and it took me time to learn to play it hard modded on insane. Is not complex as chess game, but somehow is a lot more complex than more modern games. And the way to learn chess is not to give yourself 3 queens and make all your pawns knights.

Maybe I'll make both the me-puppet and Imoen Fighter-Mage-Assassins and limit the use of magic to well-defined purposes. That would be easy because I hardly use magic at all. Dunno why.

Using magic, both arcane and divine, but specially arcane one, is fundamental in this game, to avoid the use of it is an additional challenge, good for experienced players, when they have learned to use it and to beat easily the game. Same for soloing, that is really hard at the beginning, when you are a under leveled soloer, OP in mid game, when you are overleveled, and again hard in end game, that is geared for a full party that at that point have a really good level anyway.
    And even if you mod all the NPCs in FMT, FM and powerful classes there will be not a real difference, imo is not the way to go, if you want to learn.

I suggest you to start with a vanilla party of 4-6 people, eventually on a setting easier than core rules.
    And to be constantly aware of the fact that if you have problems in beating some encounters the problem is ONLY in your actual lack of knowledge, and a more powerful or optimized party will only hide the problem for a while, as later in the game the enemies, even in vanilla, get so strong that even with a super party. but without knowledge, you will never win.
    And avoid to cheat, if you have problems in a fair way try instead to lower the difficulty, or ask for help in the boards. Only that way you will learn. Only that way you will, in the future, be able to solo the game, or to play it hard modded, or no reload.

I understand that in this modern world we are bombed constantly by messages that propose easy solutions and shortcuts instead of hard work and humility. If you pay enough you can climb on mount Everest, someone will bring you there, at the very risk of his own life, but it will not make you a better alpinist, alone you would still die on much easier mountains, you have been there, but you have only proved that you have a lot of money. But this does not work if you want to enjoy a game that NEEDS knowledge. To become good chess players a lot of study and application is needed, there is no shortcut. And even if those games are not chess, are a lot simpler, is just the same.

Take a vanilla decently balanced party, lower the difficulty, and start to play avoiding shortcuts, and you will begin to REALLY enjoy those fantastic games, some of us are playing it from the beginning and are still learning after 15 years, there is no shame in it.
    Yeah I suppose youre right. About the mount everest part anyway, it's like hearing myself speak. Thing is, I actually *like* to cheat. I always did, in pretty much every game I've ever played more than twice. I don't do it to win, or to make things easier or even to tell myself that I'm really good when I'm actually just being a cheating bastard. I cheat to make the game more enjoyable. Still, your advice on party composition is sound, and I will follow it, if only to beat the game in normal mode, which I havent succeeded in doing just yet. It worked very well in easy mode, I easily beat the final boss with anomen, minsc, imoen, the jaheira woman, nalia and a fighter-thief multi. Too easily really, and I didnt enjoy my final victory half as much as I did any other part of the game. And I didnt even know how to cheat back then.
    Would you think that same party without nalia and with valygar in stead of minsc would be a good choice for another try?
    gorgonzola
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

... is a game that, with mods, can keep the interest alive for more than 15 years of playing, some of us play it from the beginning and have still fun ...

... and some of us can say that we still enjoy it after all these years even without resorting to mods!
    gorgonzola
    @profanitywarning
    profanitywarning Valygar instead of Minsc is fine, he can even be stronger than Minsc if you use his backstabs.
    Nalia late game is a fantastic mage, but somehow is an Imoen clone, the problem is that you have no other arcane casters until you rescue Imoen. Probably starting with Nalia and switching to Immy when you rescue her is a good way, but 2 mages are useful in late game and the difference in level between a 5 people party and a 6 people one is not so relevant.