Skip to content

I leave only scorched earth in my wake

2»

Comments

• chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Even in a pen-and-paper game, where other, non-material rewards are available, a party would leave no treasure behind, any more than you would if you came across a hoard of gold bars. Characters would come back and buy a pack horse or hire a caravan if they had to. But all of that is in the tabletop setting, where things are broad and make sense. In a computer adaptation they don't, and we can just hope that playing will be fun even without. Hence measures like a 1000 gold tax - there is no pretense to logic, only, hopefully, effect.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    chimeric said:

Even in a pen-and-paper game, where other, non-material rewards are available, a party would leave no treasure behind, any more than you would if you came across a hoard of gold bars. Characters would come back and buy a pack horse or hire a caravan if they had to. But all of that is in the tabletop setting, where things are broad and make sense. In a computer adaptation they don't, and we can just hope that playing will be fun even without. Hence measures like a 1000 gold tax - there is no pretense to logic, only, hopefully, effect.

They'd also do it because they couldn't just metagame their way into knowing that they'd be getting adequate magic weapons for free, so they'd want as much money as possible. Plus, you know, they'd also lack the meta-knowledge that the campaign's loot would vastly exceed their ability to spend it. It's not a great comparison no matter which side of this argument you're on.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    chimeric said:

In a computer adaptation they don't, and we can just hope that playing will be fun even without. Hence measures like a 1000 gold tax - there is no pretense to logic, only, hopefully, effect.

I agree, but my reason to dislike the thing is that the resting in the game should not penalized, to pay 5-20gp to the inns is fine, but a tax, in gold or in XP, like in some mods, is a different thing.
    That imo is fine if the goal is to add challenge limiting rests, to force the player to not abuse resting. Because that is the consequence. A players style or a party composition ( NPC's CON ) that need to rest more frequently is penalized more than an other, a newbie player will have continuous cash ptoblems, as he needs 2 rests to clear the dungeon and a 3rd for the boss, while the experienced PGamer clears dungeon and boss in a day and maybe do also something more before resting. If this is the goal imo is fine.
    But if the goal is to lower the amount of available gold, or xp in other mods, I like a more neutral method, that does not affect the play style, like having the merchants pay less what you sell, or a tax on the quest money rewards.

The goal should be to play with less money in this case, not to trade money with more spells and freedom of choice in NPCs, a 10 CON NPC should not cost to you more than a 18 CON one, but if you consider all the rests in a game it costs several thousand GP, Korgan or Haer Dalis becomes a financial choice, not only a playstyle one.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    This may be a weird observation, but I think the value of magic items goes down in BG2 relative to BG1, where I do buy pretty much everything that I can imagine to be useful. The flip side is that magic items in the first game are more affordable, so I often still have 50,000+ gold even after buying out High Hedge and Sorcerous Sundries' inventories.