Skip to content

Zoom in without blurry picture ?

AgronAgron Member Posts: 1
I like the Camera zoom in the original Baldurs Gate very much.
To me personaly it gave the game a special atmosphere.

How can i recreate this with the EE.

Do i need a ctr Monitor to get rid of the blurriness, and how can i set the resolution for myself ?
So that the game will run in the original 640x480 ?

Dont you think something gets lost if the Camera is all zoomed out ?
Back in the Days i played BG2 with its higher Resolution, but from a graphical standpoint I felt much more "in" the world while playing BG1.

Thanks, beautifull games BG 1 and 2 in every way

Comments

• the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited November 2016
    If you play at 640 X 480 resolution on an LCD screen that has a native resolution other than 640 X 480 it will look kind of soft and blurry. Some of the newer screens can handle non native resolutions pretty good though.

The EE versions of the game will automatically play the game at your graphic cards native resolution settings. The mouse wheel works as a zoom option in the EE versions that allow you to select the scale that you like while playing at the native resolution of your screen. Zooming in close will look pixelated and blurry but that is just the way it looks when it is that close to the game area. You have a choice of like 20 camera zoom options. This setup seems to offer the best of both worlds without any hassle.

If you would like to force the game at 640 X 480 resolution on a non native display then you can set a custom resolution in your graphic card control panel. You can set refresh rate, frame rate limitations, and resolution in both ATI and Nvidia graphic control panel settings. I believe a right click on your desktop will bring up a graphic control panel option where you can rummage through the settings and find what you need.

On my Nvidia cards I use 4K DSR which renders the image at higher resolution and then down samples it to 1080P. I then use the mouse wheel to set the camera zoom to the scale that I prefer in game. DSR can also apply an AA like blur if you want it but I have mine set at 0 when I play these games because the sprites are ignored by AA and the backgrounds are pre-rendered so you have no aliasing problems. The higher texture sampling done at 4K can really bring out details on some games. At the least I would set your Anisotropic filtering to 16X while you are in your graphic control panel as it may improve image quality on the backdrops.

One last thing, if you want the user interface and the character portraits to look bigger than check the graphics options in game and make sure that GUI scaling is enabled.
    Post edited by the_sextein on