Skip to content

IOS Custom portraits

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
Hello! I'm trying to get custom portraits on my iOS copy of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. I read you could do so by making a normal 210x330 .bmp image but renaming it to CharM.bg2portrait and emailing it to yourself. When I did so and tried to copy the portrait to IWD I don't get the option for Custom portraits when making a character.

Any suggestions?

I'll upload the specific portrait I'm trying to do. Both the original image and my edited.

Original

Edit

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't know about the IOS, but IWD portraits are 420x660.
    JuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Oh, I'll try resizing the picture and trying again then, thanks!
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    You first need to zip your .bmp file..... After that, rename the zipped file to .bg2portrait: in so doing, you will be able to get the in-game option for Custom Portraits.
    VallmyrJuliusBorisovGate70
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    Oh that worked, thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ssaldanjissaldanji Member Posts: 3
    2022 - Nov - I got it working for icewind dale on ipad pro 12.9 inch

I used extension = (filename).iwdportrait

and I made 2 versions of the portrait image files (24bit, bmp)
    1 - Large portrait [420x660] for the character record section of the game,
    2 - Medium portrait [169x266] for the right side of the screen party selection/ character roster

For both portrait files to belong to the same character, file names need to be same except for one letter at the end.
    - Large portrait image file name needs to have L on the end of the name (example: filenameL.iwdportrait)
    - Medium portrait image file name needs to have M on the end of the name (example: filenameM.iwdportrait)

Then ziped the bmp file, change the file extension and
    used one of the following method to get it open in ipad
    - air drop the file to your ipad [or]
    - email it to self

when I clicked the file or accepted the air drop, it gave me an option to open in icewind dale as picture below.

3z309235ioqb.png

Then I loaded up the game and in the character portrait selection menue, the new portraits showed up when I clicked the left arrow.

if above method doesn't work for you, below is something I did before I used the above method and may have prompted the ipad to recognize the '.iwdportrait' as icewindale file.

I plugged my ipad into my mac using usb cable, got into my ipad files using finder window, dragged and dropped my portrait image file with .iwdportrait extension under icewindale drop down folder.

hope this works for other people.

• ssaldanjissaldanji Member Posts: 3
    2022 - Nov - I got it working for icewind dale on ipad pro 12.9 inch

I used extension = (filename).iwdportrait

and I made 2 versions of the portrait image files (24bit, bmp)
    1 - Large portrait [420x660] for the character record section of the game,
    2 - Medium portrait [169x266] for the right side of the screen party selection/ character roster

For both portrait files to belong to the same character, file names need to be same except for one letter at the end.
    - Large portrait image file name needs to have L on the end of the name (example: filenameL.iwdportrait)
    - Medium portrait image file name needs to have M on the end of the name (example: filenameM.iwdportrait)

Then ziped the bmp file, change the file extension and
    used one of the following method to get it open in ipad
    - air drop the file to your ipad [or]
    - email it to self

when I clicked the file or accepted the air drop, it gave me an option to open in icewind dale as picture below.

3z309235ioqb.png

Then I loaded up the game and in the character portrait selection menue, the new portraits showed up when I clicked the left arrow.

if above method doesn't work for you, below is something I did before I used the above method and may have prompted the ipad to recognize the '.iwdportrait' as icewindale file.

I plugged my ipad into my mac using usb cable, got into my ipad files using finder window, dragged and dropped my portrait image file with .iwdportrait extension under icewindale drop down folder.

hope this works for other people.