Skip to content

[SoD (+ Tweaks Anthology)] - Crashing on saves

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
edited November 2016 in Troubleshooting
(and I can practically guarantee that this will go away if I remove Tweaks Anthology since it didn't start happening until after I installed it)

In short - the game occasionally crashes when I try to save. Quicksaving is a common culprit, but it also occurs when trying to access the save menu directly.

System Topology if relevant:
Saves are in C:\Users\{user}\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
Game executables are in D :\Infinity Engine\Sword Coast\BGEE

Most recent crash dump.

Also, when playing in full screen the game can't actually bring the "your game has crashed! the dump has been saved to {location}" popup to the front, rendering the main monitor unusable unless/until I kill the game from another user profile. Haven't tested to see if it's because of the renderer or not.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    For me, it very rarely happens on Quicksave, but yes, when attempting a manual Save it crashes very frequently, about 1 time in every 3. However, my game is unmodded, and crash-on-Save still happens.

The difference between our observations may be due to different editions of Windows acting in slightly different ways.

In any case, there's something very flaky about the Save coding.

From the way it looks to me, I suspect that the transient buffer for the name of the savegame folder to be created is sometimes trying to write to an incorrect memory address. This could arise if (for example) a pass-by-reference had been used where it should have been a pass-by-value (or vice versa), which would be an easy typing error to make in the engine code, and not so easy to notice at a glance. I'm only guessing at the exact underlying cause, but pretty surely it's an engine bug.