Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

modding steam compared to stand alone

is there any difference between using the steam client as opposed to using a stand alone installer? do all mods work for both game types or is one more limited than the other? (i have a window to refund my game from steam if a stand alone install is less handicapped mod wise.

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,769
    There's no difference for most games. If you have BG+SoD from Steam, you have to run a utility called Modmerge first, then you can mod normally.

There's no DRM even in the Steam versions, so you can copy your installation to a different location, then mod the copy. I recommend doing this no matter where you bought the games. That way if something goes wrong with your modding, you've got your clean baseline to go back to.

subtledoctor
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,468
    Definitely make a backup of a clean game install somewhere - hard drive space is cheaper than bandwidth!

The only real issue with the Steam version is finding the game directory and installing mods in the right folder. In either case, you should use your OS's search function to find "chitin.key." The folder containing that file is the folder where mods should be installed.