Skip to content

Missy Elliott fans here?

TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
I am neither a R&B nor a rap fan, but I am just surprised Missy Elliott is not more widely admired in the popular culture, in Europe at least.

I quite liked Miss E "early for Europe"- I still recall a silver "Bibendum" suit video from early MTV I no longer can find, and even then admired her for being a "writer" in credits - because I did not think many women were. If only I had known she was a producer, too, eh!

I just now realised the one track i realy I liked in American radio waves back there - "1,2 Step" by Ciara was Missy E messed up, too!

Missy Elliott: timeless sound. I only wonder why she would be a lesser icon, than, say....

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Who is this? And what is that rap thing? Where am I? Are oozes not admired in the popular cultures? I am confused... :dizzy:
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I understand that she is still recognized as a major rapper whose fans actually relate to. In fact, US and Europe are still worlds apart in music , although youtube-internet have made it change a bit.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I thought rap died with 2pac...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I remember liking a couple of her songs, but it's been so long I couldn't name them. I was (and still am) more of a Queen Latifah - Diggable Planets fan.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Who is this? And what is that rap thing? Where am I? Are oozes not admired in the popular cultures? I am confused... :dizzy:

You are of course being fake ingénu, are you not - Kamigoroshi? :wink:

But I don't mind, it just highlights you can get away with it, when with Madonna - a universally acknowledged "pop icon" - it would not float.

Or even take Justin Timberlake of dubious boy-band fame: he is viewed an R&B and pop icon in the making; both!

I accept Missy Elliott might have to take "hit" or "handicap" for somewhat non-mainstream musical style, but this does not make the cut in my eyes, objectively.

Miss E writes her own material, and for others of course; her sound is bold and timeless enough to make me listen to ... rap / R&B; and Missy E's dancing is this really original floaty style that has me jealous all out!

Besides, her music videos are cool and bold. And yuup, Miss E - she produces! It is hard for me to even express how impressed and inspired of that I was at that early MTV Europe era, as a teenie gal.

Here is that 1,2 Step - Missy literally jumps in 1:40+ or so, but it is overall a sweet song: "It don't matter to me, if we dance slow..." Feel and inclusiveness over dancing skill - yeah, i need that! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHNgV6_znU
    And here a Missy Elliott headliner (without an obnoxious product placement either, lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrAcQG_4fs

I also really like "Lose Control" - as a Modesty Blaise fan I totally dig Missy's shared beduin assassin trick of emerging from sand, but I find it also a bit too much mainstream "hot" to be representative of Elliott's eclectic and freaky visual style.

I say this because my strong suspicion is that Elliott's and Madonna's difference in contemporal popularity is not only down to musical style, but Madonna owning the "easy does it" provocative sexy tag.

Minus the nubile dance-assassin sand emergence, Elliott generally lets her music and moves speak for her - she is not naked skin sexy. I think this was and maybe is her issue in getting mainstream popularity.

But those writing credits, those dance moves, those original videos - what is not both hot and admirable about that? I rejoice in assuming that Miss E is likely to get ascension in future appreciation, and she would do pretty fine right now, too.
    "Boy, I am gonna make you love me, make you want me - I am gonna give you some attention tonight."

Give or take.

Wanted to write that out before posting this, lest it be taken as unkind to men:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XayUCLgxS5c

Story intro - musical intro and main theme - guest star rap Ludacris - musical main theme - guest star rap Eve - that beat change.

That beat change
    has me in shivers, so I must admit to feeling a bit disappointed there is no more Missy love here.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2016
    I personally gave up on rap right about the time Outkast disappeared, though Missy was also at the forefront of that forward thinking, innovative movement around the year 2000-2001. I think Hip-hop hit it's absolute peak from about '91-'95, and since then has been on a downward trajectory, but that isn't just rap, but music in general. Somewhere around the mid to late '90s, thing started getting progressively worse. And this isn't coming from some senior citizen, I graduated in the year 2000. The popular music of that time period is, for the most part, atrocious.
    edited December 2016

I personally gave up on rap right about the time Outkast disappeared, though Missy was also at the forefront of that forward thinking, innovative movement around the year 2000-2001. I think Hip-hop hit it's absolute peak from about '91-'95, and since then has been on a downward trajectory, but that isn't just rap, but music in general. Somewhere around the mid to late '90s, thing started getting progressively worse. And this isn't coming from some senior citizen, I graduated in the year 2000. The popular music of that time period is, for the most part, atrocious.

If you were a "senior citizen" digging Missy, surely you'd be "daddy or mama cool" - I regret to think "young" opinion is more important, or weighty.

To me, true love is.

I just admire that rather than milking a single hook, Missy has such rich and complex composition - and I am always a fool for either syncopation or beat change!