Skip to content

Tales of the Sword Coast: What Order?

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
What order do you usually do the Tales of the Sword Coast content (Werewolf Isle, Durlag's Tower, and the Aec'letec Cult) in?

My most recent playthrough with Von Trapp the Fighter>Thief I did Aec'letec before Werewolf Isle since I wanted to grab the Burning Earth first (I did Werewolf first with Adeste (F>C) and I suffered for it, not having APR with any of the Cold Silver weapons)

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I like to do Ice Island/Werewolf Isle/Durlag's + Aec because that's just how I did it years and years ago lol. But it would be possible to switch Durlag's + demon to earlier and put the werewolves last but the werewolves are all fairly simple until you get into Balduran's ship.
  • PentiumDPentiumD Member Posts: 62
    Werewolfs hurt alot just be prepared.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Ice Island is actually something I tend to do before taking on the Cloakwood Mines since I can nab some nice 3rd Level spells there and it's really not that bad once you get your 3rd Level divine spells.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2016
    Ice Island I do first since Shandalar pushes you to make a decision. Durlag's Tower goes last because it is the most difficult, both in its final fight and what happens when you get back to Ulgoth's Beard.

Then I finish up Scar's quests and go back home.
    Post edited by cloudkillbeatsall on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I always complete Ice Island first of the TotSC content, typically (although not necessarily) just before entering BG City.

My sequencing of the Isle of Balduran and Durlag's Tower content is variable, depending upon who I have in my party and how they are developed. My choice of sequence is therefore shamelessly meta-gamed, even though I try to avoid meta-gaming many other in-game choices. (The key reason for allowing myself to meta-game this particular choice is Karoug - beating him when you have appropriate equipment and proficiencies is straightforward, but it's ridiculously difficult otherwise, and if you go to the island without some way to beat him then you're shafted.)

The timings are also affected by dual-classing considerations when applicable. For example, if I'm canonically dual-classing Imoen (as I always do when she's with me), then I might be very dependent upon her Thief skills for Durlag's Tower, so I can go there early (before she dual-classes) or late (after regaining her Thief skills), but not during her dual-classing downtime. Another (less common) example is that if I'm late-dualling Shar-Teel (i.e. F7->T, which is my preferred build for her), then I'll probably want to postpone the Isle of Balduran until she regains her Fighter levels. If my protagonist is dual-classing, then obviously that might also affect the sequencing of quests.

Quite often, I've started the Durlag's Tower content before entering BG City, and cleared the above-ground levels of the tower, but then postponed the underground labyrinth until later. "Later" might well mean until after I've returned from the Isle of Balduran, in which case the remainder of Durlag's Tower and the confrontation with Aec'Letec might well be the last thing I do before confronting Sarevok to finish the game. Other times, if (as in the OP's case) I need the Burning Earth longsword to fight Karoug (such as when none of my party can use a Bastard Sword), then I'll clear Durlag's labyrinth before going to the Isle of Balduran, but even so I might postpone the confrontation with the Demonknight (and therefore also the confrontation with Aec'Letec) until after returning from the island.

In almost every case, I'll split the Durlag's Tower content into four separate stages (between which I might go elsewhere to do other things, sometimes for quite a long time) - clear the external areas and walls; clear the above-ground levels in the tower; clear the underground levels in the labyrinth; confront the Demonknight and then Aec'Letec. I might well do a couple of these stages immediately consecutively, but not all of them.