Skip to content

Globes of Invulnerability and Dispel Magic

MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
I'm struggling to understand the rationale for how Dispel Magic affects Globes (and Minor Globes) of Invulnerability in the EE series. Currently, Dispel Magic can dispel protections (such as Stoneskin or Fire Shield) behind the barrier of the globe, but it cannot dispel the globe itself. This is the opposite of how these spells work in PnP.

According to the 2e PH, both globe spells should be vulnerable to Dispel Magic. However, a single successful Dispel Magic should take down the globe only; any other active protections would remain until a second Dispel Magic is cast on the character. Globes of Invulnerability provide immunity to entire levels of magic, so how could any spell from one of those protected levels (like Dispel Magic) pass through the barrier without first taking down that barrier?

I don't expect the development team to be interested in changing these spells, but I would like to mod it for my own game. Do any of you have any advice on how to implement these changes? As of now, I've modded both globe spells to protect against the Dispel Magic opcode, which makes it a little more powerful than it should be.

Comments