Skip to content

Forged in Fire

TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
edited July 2015 in Off-Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hasi-giZck

History's Forged in Fire Homepage
FORGED IN FIRE features world-class bladesmiths competing against each other to create some of the most iconic edged weapons from history. In each episode, four of the best bladesmiths in the country will come together to put both their skills and reputations on the line. Whether they are making a Japanese katana, a medieval broadsword, or an ancient throwing blade like the chakram, the weapons they forge will be fully functional and lethal works of art and war. The unique histories contained within each weapon will be creatively told during the forging process and the final weapons themselves will be assessed and ruthlessly tested by our panel of expert judges. These dynamic and explosive tests will be individually designed to push the weapons to their absolute limit. One by one, the bladesmiths will be eliminated until only one remains to be crowned the champion.

Post edited by TheCoffeeGod on

Comments

• TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

I caught the S1 marathon they had on the History channel the other night, and I have to say, I absolutely hate reality shows in general, but this series is right up my alley!

As a person who has had an interest in blacksmithing for many years now, this show hits all the right buttons for me. Definitely something I'm going to keep up with starting with tonight's new episode.

It's rather amusing and interesting when they have bladesmiths on the show that I actually know, though haven't actually met in person.

edited August 2015
    Well the season finale was rather cool.
    They had some rather good bladesmiths on this episode, all of them turned in rather good looking blades by the end of each round.

Kind of sad they only have 8 episodes in a season though.

edited January 2016
    NEW SEASON BEGINS FEBRUARY 16th!!

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    "It will kill."
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    wait, did they say Chakram?

Is that a real thing? I always thought it was just on Xena Warrior Princess.

They had a female bladesmith on this time.
    First time they had one.
    Sadly she didn't make the cut for the final test, but she did make a nice little knife.

They had a female bladesmith on this time.
    First time they had one.
    Sadly she didn't make the cut for the final test, but she did make a nice little knife.

At least, she lost on points instead of a KO.

I like that they're telling the smiths what the tests are going to be before they make the blades. But that dumpster dive at the beginning was brutal.
    How about those claymores?

I guess they shouldn't have sourced their steel from Nashkel.
    BillyYank said:

How about those claymores?

I guess they shouldn't have sourced their steel from Nashkel.

That's amusing!

• jseymourjseymour Member Posts: 4
    Surprised to see this discussion here. I was on episode 4. I didn't finish my handle. The challenges are getting even more brutal. They gave those guys round bar and no power equipment. Round bar is hard to forge and has to soak 5 minutes for every 1/4" of thickness or it's really hard to forge and can cause micro-factures. When the new game comes out I'll have to make a sword from the game. Their will be about 6 of us next week here in Vegas from the show hanging out. So if your in the Vegas area let me know if you want to come watch the next episode with us.
    Congrats on being on the show!

Is that the episode where you had to use parts from a car? I've been waiting to see that one. This one of my two favorite shows at the moment, so it's cool to "meet" someone who's been on the show.
  • jseymourjseymour Member Posts: 4
    BillyYank I was on the first season. That one hasn't been aired yet. My good friend is on that episode. If any of you are in the Vegas area come by the shop sometime.
    New season begins August 23rd!

I've got my DVR primed and ready.

One thing, though. What's with Will's hair? He looks like he's trying out for Fabio's old job.
    I just watched last night's episode, and WOW!

When that claymore sliced right through the pig, I actually cheered out loud.
    Kind of a surprise on the hook sword

I thought they'd go with the sharper one.
    New season starts tonight!